Hacker EDC? defcon EDC? every day carry?

jaime_lion

So I am curious what is everyone's EDC here? Also I am wondering what people carry at defcon and such for EDC? I see lots of backpacks in the videos there. EDC stands for everyday carry, everyday carry is what it sounds like what you carry everyday. My EDC is as follows.

Smartphone cheap pay as you go htc phone

Wallet and keys "hopefully in the next few years I can get rid of these as phone and bio-metrics and such become the ways to pay and unlock things.

Kubotan "I carry this more so cause I am a martial artist and not so much that I believe it will help me in a self defense situation"

USB flash drive I believe 8 gigs but not sure I rarely if ever use the thing

pen and notepad

flashlight

micro USB charger for phone

Cant wait to see yours.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

My EDC for work is as follows:

Goruck 2 (expensive yes, but it fits EVERYTHING I used in it).

Lenovo E530 upgraded to maximum ram it can take and an SSD, multiboot setup.

Lenovo A10 tablet. Cheap and cheerful 10inch tablet that so far out performs iPads left right and centre.

Galaxy Note 4 (I want removable battery and sd card, so one of two will do).

Asus Transformer T100TAF as sometimes my laptop is too big.

Countless USB keys, cables, usb-lan adaptors etc etc.

Zalman ZM-VE300 enclosure with virtual iso mounting (this thing is great. Load the hard drive up with isos, use the jog dial to select which one, most machines then go "Oh there's a DVD/CD there") with every variant of windows from XP onwards, couple of linux distros, recovery ones like Hirens, Trinity, UBCD.

iFixit Protech toolkit. 

Cable tester for ethernet and phone and coax. Cable sounder, cutter, punchdown (everything you need really to make a network and test cables)

6 plug surge protected extension cord.

4 Port USB power supply from Anker

Anker 20000 battery with fast charge.

Wet jacket for if it rains.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to slightly hijack this thread, sorry.

What's the maximum acceptable weight (by which I mean the bag and its contents combined) for an EDC?

As you see here, people generally say bag X can carry everything I put in, but once you cross, say, 10 pounds your EDC becomes a millstone to drag around as opposed to the nimble toolbox people often claim it to be. Also, with a given weight you need a certain quality bag for it to last a while. This is why any good quality bag tends to have a significant price tag.

My regular laptop is too huge (and, at 6 pounds, *WAY* too heavy) to get involved in any EDC discussion. My Chromebook interestingly enough tends to be too small for most bags. These days I rely on a mostly cheap shoulder bag I got for being a HitB crew member. It's great because by the time the thing would become too heavy to hang over your shoulder, it's just full. I can fit my Chromebook, an A4-sized writing pad, some pens, MP3 player and 2 books. The things I do are such that all my kit goes into a trolley case (Pelican 1510 - it's *great*!). If my Chromebook won't cut it, I'll bring my beast of a laptop in its backpack which means I try as much as I can to limit everything else since it weighs me down so much.

About 10 pounds is the limit for single strap bags.  My 5.11 Moab 10 starts to hurt my shoulder/collarbone after day two of Derbycon.  Though I usually carry a little more in it during cons, since I don't stay at the same hotel.  Daily carry it's lighter and I don't keep it on for 12 to 20 hours straight like the cons either.

4 hours ago, cooper said:

I'm going to slightly hijack this thread, sorry.

What's the maximum acceptable weight (by which I mean the bag and its contents combined) for an EDC?

As you see here, people generally say bag X can carry everything I put in, but once you cross, say, 10 pounds your EDC becomes a millstone to drag around as opposed to the nimble toolbox people often claim it to be. Also, with a given weight you need a certain quality bag for it to last a while. This is why any good quality bag tends to have a significant price tag.

My regular laptop is too huge (and, at 6 pounds, *WAY* too heavy) to get involved in any EDC discussion. My Chromebook interestingly enough tends to be too small for most bags. These days I rely on a mostly cheap shoulder bag I got for being a HitB crew member. It's great because by the time the thing would become too heavy to hang over your shoulder, it's just full. I can fit my Chromebook, an A4-sized writing pad, some pens, MP3 player and 2 books. The things I do are such that all my kit goes into a trolley case (Pelican 1510 - it's *great*!). If my Chromebook won't cut it, I'll bring my beast of a laptop in its backpack which means I try as much as I can to limit everything else since it weighs me down so much.

So I know it isnt a laptop and it doesnt fit the same workload but have you thought about the ASUS Chromebit? I got mine a week ago and love it.

For me with everyday carry stuff I tend to stick to pockets or at most fanny pack. I only use my messenger bag to carry my laptop and that is really only for point A to point B reasons.

8 hours ago, jaime_lion said:

So I know it isnt a laptop and it doesnt fit the same workload but have you thought about the ASUS Chromebit? I got mine a week ago and love it.

For me with everyday carry stuff I tend to stick to pockets or at most fanny pack. I only use my messenger bag to carry my laptop and that is really only for point A to point B reasons.

Where would you expect to use one of those?  Not like anybody will let you use their monitor/tv unless they know you, and even then maybe not!

As for what's in my bag, I've posted this here before, the only thing that's changed is the laptop.  Same size, just an i7 now.

https://goo.gl/photos/BLyPZWBe2Mw5Ce478

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, barry99705 said:

Where would you expect to use one of those?  Not like anybody will let you use their monitor/tv unless they know you, and even then maybe not!

As for what's in my bag, I've posted this here before, the only thing that's changed is the laptop.  Same size, just an i7 now.

https://goo.gl/photos/BLyPZWBe2Mw5Ce478

So how often do you use like the firewire and vga etc cables? is this a better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it situation?

And yes he might not be able to use it unless he is in a stationary setting but since he uses a chromebook I thought I might ask.

There's no firewire cables in there.  Firewire is dead unfortunately...  I'm one of the "break fix" as well as network installer, network engineer people of my company.  As well as desktop support and occasional server support.  So I use most of that stuff on a fairly regular basis.  I wouldn't carry it if I didn't use it.  I also have enough crap in my car to build out a halfway decent network before ordering anything.

https://goo.gl/photos/TTVQPqDM95YfEcJM9

That was a year ago.  Mostly the same.  Think I've added a few battery powered tools, and the boxes of network cable change all the time.  Right now I only have two half boxes.  I actually have room in the back of the Element right now!

https://goo.gl/photos/9SuPtZXfx8ga4DAj8

Another old pic of the platform I built for the Element.  Lets me store longer stuff underneath, like the 4 foot step ladder and hand truck.  At the moment I have a few pieces of Unistrut under there as well.  That stuff is like magic when your client wants to have a projector or ptz camera somewhere that doesn't quite have the structure to do it.

Now comes the question of why do I need all that construction crap in my car.  This is why;

https://goo.gl/photos/JUwzj2wGh6cQBpBu5

https://goo.gl/photos/1uGTuwF3LWtU1ijF8

We installed the projector, in ceiling speakers and drop down screen.  The screen automatically drops when the projector turns on.  Also had to pull hdmi and audio cables through the finished ceiling to a closet where they already had a surround system.  This summer one of the other guys pulled audio cables to outside speakers around their pool.

https://goo.gl/photos/aSayZhP7SfLJLuMr8

This is during a camera install.  We put 80-ish ptz cameras in this facility.  This is where the unistrut really came in.

I love a good Nerd Convention! :3

6d02a6c9-e15d-40a4-81b6-81335202ad0d_zps

-=Tech=-

• 2015 Lenovo Thinkpad, 11.6-inch, Quad-Core AMD A4-6210 1.8GHz, 8GB DDR3L, 500GB HDD. (Kali 2016 Bleeding Edge)
  • 12in Laptop Bag (holds everything below)
  • Ubuntu 16.04 via USB Thumb Drive
  • Tails via SD Card
  • 32g Thumb Drive
  • WiFi Pineapple Nano w/ Case
  • Lan Tap
  • 3x Cat 6 Cables
  • ALFA WiFi Dongle w/ Directional Antenna
  • Panda WiFi Dongle
  • Yard Stick One w/ 900mhz Antenna
  • 3G Cell Network Dongle
  • Amazon Battery
  • USB Cables and Adapters
  • USB Charger
  • Paper & Pen/Highlighter

-=Stuff=-

• Walet
  • Keys
  • Cell Phone
  • Knife
  • Pistol w/ Extra Mag
  • Lock Pick Kit
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, barry99705 said:

Nice aperture systems asset tag!

We have a few places where it's a good idea to carry, but the cop shops frown on carrying into them....   They've never said anything about my knife though, so at least I have that.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Rkiver said:

Lenovo Thinkpads, everyone seems to love them. Just need a good debloat upon purchase, or complete OS replacement.

I like them. $220 USD for a solid Laptop with everything you'll ever need except a DVD drive. Even Hak5 uses these laptops for their pen test class's.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NotPike said:

I like them. $220 USD for a solid Laptop with everything you'll ever need except a DVD drive. Even Hak5 uses these laptops for their pen test class's.

They are stunning, I use them in a lot of schools as teachers laptops (T400, 420, 500 being the usual choices) and I use an E530 with an SSD and a shedload of ram. I'm looking at the little one you use as a future investment as the E530 is bloody heavy. I should really do a picture of my setup.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
On 9/6/2016 at 0:19 AM, Rkiver said:

Lenovo Thinkpads, everyone seems to love them. Just need a good debloat upon purchase, or complete OS replacement.

Yep. Lenovo Thinkpads do indeed have metric tonnes of bloatware - though still not as much as HP..they are disgusting.

On 7/12/2017 at 5:42 AM, UnLo said:

My EDC grid-It 

Not pictured;

HP spectre 13t-3000 i7

1+1

What?! Who just carries around a HP Spectre casually? And I'm assuming that's an aftermarket i7? They only come pre-shipped with i5 don't they?

My EDC:

- About 15 different cables (micro USB to USB, Ethernet, AUX, multi-function cables etc.)
- My phone (rooted - only way to go - with lots of tools and completely customised look)
- Multiboot USB (HBCD, custom Linux distro, Kali, Debian, Windows 7 and 10) - probably the most powerful tool in my whole kit
- Generic USB for generic copying
- Bash Bunny (WabbitWeb ready, hehe - also used for general storage sometimes, not completely overkill at all)
- Keys, wallet..(so normal, dude)
- NFC tags (useful for my phone - different modes and stuff)
- Pocket multi-tool

I don't carry around a laptop. Just asking to be stolen..My phone does most of the jobs I need anyway. I'm going to be adding a RP-WD03 to my EDC kit soon, hehe. Ordered and waiting for it, so keen. Gonna flash openWRT/dd-wrt on it I reckon.

Edited by Dave-ee Jones

13 minutes ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Yep. Lenovo Thinkpads do indeed have metric tonnes of bloatware - though still not as much as HP..they are disgusting.

What?! Who just carries around a HP Spectre casually? And I'm assuming that's an aftermarket i7? They only come pre-shipped with i5 don't they?

i7 8gb

This is be my DefCon carry pretty much.

• wallet
  • phone (Pixel XL)
  • battery pack
  • USBC-USBA cable
  • most likely a water bottle

Debating if I want to bring anything more than that. There is always so much going on it almost becomes a hassle to lug around. I may bring the 5.11 All Hazards Prime backpack just to hold things I collect, etc during the conference. My laptop is a monster and a pain in the butt to carry around.

• Upvote 2

On 9/5/2016 at 2:00 AM, NotPike said:

-=Stuff=-

• Pistol w/ Extra Mag
  • Lock Pick Kit

A man with a plan.

Mind to delv the specs?

• Upvote 1

On 7/18/2017 at 3:38 AM, Spoonish said:

A man with a plan.

Mind to delv the specs?

Compact Timberwolf Frame /w OEM Glock 19 parts.

On 7/18/2017 at 6:01 PM, Dave-ee Jones said:

I do believe in being ready for anything..but that maybe a little bit too ready, and for something not too good...

Yep, bad things do suck.