• Foxtrot changed the title to HackRF

Nice one Foxtrot! will give this a whirl now.

Edit: tried it with my hackrf+portapack and its not finding the hackrf. Nor is hackrf_info from terminal. Dmesg is showing new high speed USB device using ehci platform but also device descriptor read errors. I think the portapack is getting in the way even when in "hackrf only" mode.

P.s. Any plans for an ubertooth or YARD stick one module?

Edit: looks like rfcat won't run on openwrt, or at least I couldn't find much info on it and its dependencies.

Edited by Just_a_User
Research

3 hours ago, Just_a_User said:

Edit: tried it with my hackrf+portapack and its not finding the hackrf. Nor is hackrf_info from terminal. Dmesg is showing new high speed USB device using ehci platform but also device descriptor read errors. I think the portapack is getting in the way even when in "hackrf only" mode.

Unfortunately I can only confirm that the HackRF works with the tools & library we now have. I don't have a portapack, nor do I know much about it. Attaching your dmesg in the spoiler tags could be useful.

P.s. Any plans for an ubertooth or YARD stick one module?

Edit: looks like rfcat won't run on openwrt, or at least I couldn't find much info on it and its dependencies.

Not from myself, I don't own those devices :)

Prior to this module libhackrf and the hackrf-tools were not on OpenWRT either, its probable that rfcat would need cross-compiling.

Edited by Foxtrot

just in case its useful - dmesg output from hackrf+portapack: -

[  163.240000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ehci-platform
[  168.390000] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/all, error -145
[  168.510000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 7 using ehci-platform
[  168.640000] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[  168.880000] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[  169.110000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 8 using ehci-platform
[  169.540000] usb 1-1: device not accepting address 8, error -71
[  169.660000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 9 using ehci-platform
[  170.090000] usb 1-1: device not accepting address 9, error -71
[  170.090000] usb usb1-port1: unable to enumerate USB device

11 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

@bored369, did you need to reboot after plugging in and entering hackrf mode? or did it pick it up after changing mode? i see the refresh symbol on the hackrf module did that do it for you?

It was late when I was testing so not sure the specifics are correct but IIRC I plugged up the portaPack, entered hackRF mode and then install dependencies and it detected as expected on the tetra.  I believe on the nano i installed the dependencies then plugged up the the portapack and entered hackRF mode, i believe i tried the the refresh button and it didn't detected it but going out of the module and back in did (again not sure on the specifics exactly but i won't be able to test again until later this evening)

• Upvote 1

Factory reset tetra, only installed Hackrf module. getting the exact same issue/dmesg and not being detected/USB enumerated.

Checked hackrf+portapack on ubuntu & win box's and all is working fine. re-flashed hackrf with latest firmware and retried on tetra without change. Removed portapack firmware and hardware from hackrf (not so simple) and still not detected/usb enumerated on tetra.

maybe im missing some more dependencies?

when i search "Unable to enumerate USB device" im getting so many results i wouldn't know where to start. Things like - USB low speed devices fail to enumerate on high speed hub - or disabling ehci_hcd - seem to be showing up but i really wouldn't know.

any thoughts or suggestions welcome tho as id like to use this module on the Tetra if possible.

Edit: Confirmed working on my NANO (with portapack). so just my Tetra has the issue,

Edited by Just_a_User
tested on NANO

im sure you have foxtrot, which is why I was wondering if you had installed any additional packages, maybe USB related?

I cant do anything else other than factory reset again and try again but thats a definition of insanity :)

1 minute ago, Just_a_User said:

im sure you have foxtrot, which is why I was wondering if you had installed any additional packages, maybe USB related?

I cant do anything else other than factory reset again and try again but thats a definition of insanity :)

No other packages, just the ones the module installs for you.

Gutted... OK I will re-download the tetra_factory.bin - do another firmware recovery - then try again. cheers!

Update: Its working! very happy - I like what you have done so thank you for the hard work Foxtrot, I wasn't expecting this to ever make it onto the Pineapples so this is a real positive addition to the modules.

Edited by Just_a_User
Update update
  • Upvote 1

Dang meant to post this earlier but: 

Working well!  Tested the process and went as follows with the portaPack:

1. Powered on Tetra

2. Made sure module was updated

3. Went to module page, showed as hackRF not detected

4. Plugged up the portapack, switched to hackRF mode

5. Used the module refresh button and hackRF showed as detected

Also pretty cool to note using the pineapple reboot doesn't lose power to the usb so you don't have to go back in to hackRF mode at those times.

Also tested and Tetra can do 20M samples reliably and Nano can do at least 15M samples even with PineAP running and active on both.  The nano maybe able to do more, however it can't do the hackRF recommended maximum of 20M (min recommended is 2M *edited) (at least with PineAP running).  Careful if you enable the last two RF gains to 32 each like I did, the tetra required extra power at that point, but was stable after hooking up a battery while connected to my usb3 hub ports.  haven't tried it with the gains on the nano yet.

Checked the cs8 file and looks like it should be I believe.

Edited by bored369
  • Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Just_a_User said:

Gutted... OK I will re-download the tetra_factory.bin - do another firmware recovery - then try again. cheers!

Update: Its working! very happy - I like what you have done so thank you for the hard work Foxtrot, I wasn't expecting this to ever make it onto the Pineapples so this is a real positive addition to the modules.

Glad you got it to work :)

The only thing that could make this better would be something like rtl_tcp but for hackrf... if such a thing exists. Again very nice module, can see its possible for basic replay attacks and recon. Captures load straight into Inspectrum once transferred to PC. Been playing with my rf doorbell and its working well.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool stuff Foxtrot!

I'm trying to figure out something here. I'm trying to see if it's possible to TX a GPS-SDR-SIM bin file to spoof a GPS receiver using the Pineapple Nano. The problem I'm having is that when I TX the SD card (where the bin is located)  becomes unreachable for a while and then it self correctors. 

Here's the HackRF log when I selected the "Repeat transmission" option. I shortened log because the, "Input file end reached. Rewind to beginning."  repeated 100 or so times.

call hackrf_sample_rate_set(2600000 Hz/2.600 MHz)
call hackrf_baseband_filter_bandwidth_set(2500000 Hz/2.500 MHz)
call hackrf_set_freq(1575420000 Hz/1575.420 MHz)
Stop with Ctrl-C
 5.2 MiB / 1.005 sec =  5.2 MiB/second
 5.0 MiB / 1.000 sec =  5.0 MiB/second
 5.2 MiB / 1.000 sec =  5.2 MiB/second
Input file end reached. Rewind to beginning.
Input file end reached. Rewind to beginning. 5.2 MiB / 1.189 sec =  4.4 MiB/second
 5.2 MiB / 1.005 sec =  5.2 MiB/second
 5.0 MiB / 1.003 sec =  5.0 MiB/second

The bin file should last for 300s but it stops after 6s. It isn't consistent either. Some times it will TX a little longer or a little shorter then 6sec.  Also when I SSH into the pineapple to take a look at /SD, I can't see whats in the directory while the HackRF is TX the bin. I think this might be a power restraint issue with the Nano but I'm open to your thoughts. 

Now when I try to TX with out the "Repeat Transmission" option I get this error.

call hackrf_sample_rate_set(2600000 Hz/2.600 MHz)
call hackrf_baseband_filter_bandwidth_set(2500000 Hz/2.500 MHz)
call hackrf_set_freq(1575420000 Hz/1575.420 MHz)
Stop with Ctrl-C
 0.8 MiB / 1.000 sec =  0.8 MiB/second

Exiting... hackrf_is_streaming() result: HACKRF_ERROR_STREAMING_EXIT_CALLED (-1004)
Total time: 1.00063 s
hackrf_stop_tx() done
hackrf_close() done
hackrf_exit() done
fclose(fd) done
exit

Edited by NotPike
added more info.

• 4 years later...
On 9/3/2016 at 3:09 AM, Foxtrot said:

Small update.

1.4 Changes:
-Add "Dependencies not met" message when hackrf-tools not installed.

Hi Foxtrot, I have just upgraded my Tetra to the latest build. Installed the hackrf module and getting the "dependencies not met" message. When clicking the "install dependencies" button nothing happens (other than the busy pineapple icon).

Can I install the hackrf-tools manually from cli on the pineapple?

Any hints are welcome.

• 11 months later...