usb thumb drives I saw this on tekthing destruction.

badbass

I don't know if this will work but I have overwritten drives from older pc's with random bit patterns.  boot and nuke live cd and other things.  Just setup an extra machine to do this with.  I don't keep extra hard drives.  I drill those with a ten amp drill.  Yes I like tools.  If you are paranoid physically destroy thumb drives.  They will survive the washing machine and dryer a few times. Smash it with a hammer run over it with a car.  Among many other ways to do this.

This is a really random post.

I also destroy old hard drives.  If I can't re-purpose the drive for anything then I DBAN it and destroy all of the platters.  I make sure I punch at least 3 holes through the platters completely then I just do as much damage as I can with both sides of a hammer.

Hydraulic press.  pull the magnets and flatten to destruction.  also like sud0nick said, punch some holes in the platters themselves and maybe throw in a fire for extra precaution.

Fire works for thumb drives.  My mother had a 2002 chevy suburban.  Drive over the flash drives.  I have not tried it but I want to. Salt water.  Salt water should kill a thumb drive.   I use the same drill I use to drill holes in concrete with.  

once the circuit board gets hit with Salt water it is all over for sd cards and flash drives.  I know this from experience, fishing and scuba diving.  Dump anything out of your pocket that saltwater could kill car Remotes and keys included.  If you saw what it does to brass copper and aluminum you would say wow.  If it kills a phone if will kill any other semiconductor device.  Memory included.