How to start coding

Prescient

Hey, 

I have had urges to learn how to code, id like to code python because that is what i am doing next year for my GCSE computing but ive had no success. Id like people to give me advise on how to get started for coding python and maybe even how you got started coding and the path you took, because i am looking to pursue python and want to be able to code in this language fluently. I think this will not only be useful for me but also be an excellent pass time over the summer break. 

Thanks, 

~Prescient

Did CompSci at GCSE and learned Python during it, you don't really go too in-depth so you probably won't have too much trouble. Fantastic resource that's free is CodeAcademy - https://www.codecademy.com/learn/python. That's how I got started. Python is very versatile, lots of people criticize it for being slow as it's an interpreted not compiled language. However this isn't really applicable unless you have a VERY complex program. At that point, you would probably not be posting on here. :)

Just a piece of advise, once you've completed the course and have a basic understanding of Python (and programming principles) start a little project. Whether it's a Python compiler for Duckyscript, or whatever, you learn so much more this way as you gain practical knowledge from reading sites like Stack Overflow and you then have something to show for it which really makes it worth while.

1 hour ago, Error404 said:

Did CompSci at GCSE and learned Python during it, you don't really go too in-depth so you probably won't have too much trouble. Fantastic resource that's free is CodeAcademy - https://www.codecademy.com/learn/python. That's how I got started. Python is very versatile, lots of people criticize it for being slow as it's an interpreted not compiled language. However this isn't really applicable unless you have a VERY complex program. At that point, you would probably not be posting on here. :)

Just a piece of advise, once you've completed the course and have a basic understanding of Python (and programming principles) start a little project. Whether it's a Python compiler for Duckyscript, or whatever, you learn so much more this way as you gain practical knowledge from reading sites like Stack Overflow and you then have something to show for it which really makes it worth while.

Thank you so much, ive checked out CodeAcademy and it looks alot better to interpret than the other material ive read. Im actually pretty excited about this aha, thanks again

7 hours ago, Prescient said:

Thank you so much, ive checked out CodeAcademy and it looks alot better to interpret than the other material ive read. Im actually pretty excited about this aha, thanks again

No problem. Good luck with learning! :)

19 hours ago, Foxtrot said:

My CompSci GCSE (only a year or so ago) Python consisted of Hello worlds, a little game using randint() and a couple of functions.

Yeah, mine was pretty similar.

• 2 weeks later...

Best advice when first learning to code is to set yourself simple goals. Too many people try to learn to code by tackling a complex problem, but you really need to learn the basic concepts before tackling anything complex.

Try creating python scripts to do each of the following:

1. display a message ("hello world" is very common one)
  2. accept some input from the keyboard and display a message with it in (perhaps ask the users name then display a hello message to them e.g. "Hello Fred")
  3. count from 1 to 10 (e.g. "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10")
  4. accept two numbers from the keyboard and then output their total
  5. accept as many numbers from the keyboard until the user enters something that isn't a number and then display their total
  6. accept as many numbers from the keyboard until the user enters something that isn't a number and then display their average