Why is WPA less secure than WPA2? It seems to take the same to crack?

0phoi5

Hi all,

As the title suggests, I was wondering why WPA should be easier to crack than WPA2, and yet the process to crack them appears to be the same?

The hash mode in Hashcat is exactly the same for WPA and WPA2, so surely they would take the exact same amount of time to break?

Is there a quicker way to break WPA?

I found http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=tkiptun-ng, but this appears to only be for WPA-TKIP, and doesn't look like a finished product. At the moment, are we doomed to cracking WPA using the same methods as WPA2?

Thanks.

Edited by haze1434

19 hours ago, cooper said:

Thanks cooper, this helped.

It lead me down an avenue, in which I discovered aircrack has the ability to do a 'chopchop attack' against WPA-TKIP.

*edit* I also found this, which explains the attack process nicely.

I think tonight I will be setting my router's security to TKIP and giving it a go :happy:

Thank you.

Edited by haze1434

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 8:31 AM, haze1434 said:

I think tonight I will be setting my router's security to TKIP and giving it a go :happy:

I hope this is for a test environment and not daily use, THIP is weak and easily cracked, you need to run wpa/2 AES unless you are lucky enough to be running an ARN router.

Edited by kerravon

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 8:58 PM, kerravon said:

I hope this is for a test environment and not daily use, THIP is weak and easily cracked, you need to run wpa/2 AES unless you are lucky enough to be running an ARN router.

Of course, I'd have to be mentally unhinged to leave my router on TKIP :blink: