[BETA Release] Firmware 3.0

Sebkinne

On 01/08/2016 at 7:52 AM, Sebkinne said:

In firmware 3.0.0 this is not a default (neither was it on the MK5). There is currently no way to do it via the webinterface. You can of course modify your /etc/config/network file.

May I ask exactly what you need to modify in your Network file to make this work? Thanks :D

the 3g script sets it up for you and makes the modemswitch. Or just copy the ne$

*19d2:1523*) echo "ZTE MF591 (T-Mobile) detected. Attempting mode switch"
uci delete network.wan2

uci set network.wan2=interface

uci set network.wan2.ifname=ppp0

uci set network.wan2.proto=3g

uci set network.wan2.service=umts

uci set network.wan2.device=/dev/ttyUSB0

uci set network.wan2.apn=YOURPROVIDER

uci set network.wan2.username=YOURUSER

uci set network.wan2.password=YOURPASS

uci set network.wan2.defaultroute=1

uci commit network

Just change it to your PID

On my MKV 3.0 was missing too comgt (installed with opkg)

and i had to modify /etc/chatscript/3g.sh

after that ist works nice. No need of modemswitcht on my Huawei e180v

Edited by Mr.miYagi

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for this firmware. Just wanted to point out an issue with WPA-PSK. It looks like it's not supported, I could't connect to my network in client mode, int wlan1, even after adding an "option encryption" parameter in /etc/config/wireless file. Maybe I messed up somewhere.

I switched to WPA2-PSK instead...

Well...let's just say that I "accidentally" (it is because I am stupid) messed up the network configuration and although I tried accessing my pineapple via lan or wifi I can't get it to work(I can't access it via ssh or via http) ...Reset with dip switches does not seem to do anything with firmware 3.0.0...

Long story short I think I bricked it(really really bad).

Any Ideas ?

Thanks 

OK I am terribly sorry... I just panicked and wasn't thinking at all ... The solution was fairly easy...

So for anyone else that has a similar problem just set your ethernet static ip to 192.168.1.2 and then set your last dip switch to down ... plug the ethernet cable to  your pineapple,  power it on, head over to 192.168.1.1 and upload the factory.bin that you can find at wifipineapple.com/downloads/mk5/factory.bin

Sorry again for my previous post I though I lost my precious pineapple

Have a nice day 

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2016 at 7:59 PM, Sebkinne said:

Hey everyone,

It's that time of year again and as you might imagine were very excited for DEF CON. We've been busy working on new features for Buffalo Bulldozer and amidst development we've generated a mostly feature complete (sans DIP switches) and stable port of the 6th generation WiFi Pineapple firmware for the Mark V. Flashing to and from this beta release will require a manual sysupgrade from the console (see commands below). Thank you all for your patience and continued support of the project - we're excited as always to see ever more creativity among the community.

We hope you enjoy this release!
-The WiFi Pineapple Team

Download: https://www.wifipineapple.com/downloads/mk5/3.0.0
SHA256: 45bd51c665e0587ee137fa3ea87c03493b170f9668079ed0cecd4558c266a5ca

Flashing:

1. Download the upgrade-3.0.0.bin file linked above
  2. Verify the sha256 checksum
  3. SCP the downloaded .bin file to your pineapple's /tmp/ directory.
  4. SSH in to the WiFi Pineapple and execute the following command:
    sysupgrade -n /tmp/upgrade-3.0.0.bin
  5. Wait for the system to reboot and browse to http://172.16.42.1:1471

Quick question how do I do this from Kali Linux?

• 3 weeks later...

Did the update a few times.

Intalling modules works sometimes other times it will not load installable module list. 

Attempted factory reset from gui. Would not load page.

So I reflashed from command. Now I just have a solid red and green light. 

No  way to connect via wifi.

Radios not active maybe?

Doing this from mobile.

EDIT: I'm obviously doing something wrong. Tried reformatting the sd card and loading 2.4 firmware on it but i still just get the solid red and green light.

Where is the info for recovering from a bad flash without serial? It seems the MK5 has no support left on the wiki or wifipineapple.com

Edited by bytedeez

• 1 month later...
On 19/10/2016 at 11:58 AM, Sebkinne said:

Because this is the sixth generation firmware running on the older MKV hardware, and it's still in BETA status. 

It will probably never have automatic updates. 

But, there will be new manual updates for MKV? Or this BETA is the last update.

Hi guys, after some tinkering (read: flashing unbrick-firmware and upgrading to 3.0.0-beta a few times, with a whole bunch of sd-formats from both firmwares) I can't seem to manage to get RandomRoll to work. It keeps loading forever, and when I eventually (after one and a half hour) do reload the page, it does show that RandomRoll was installed but half a few Rolls are missing thumbnails and the entire module isn't working. It doesn't redirect any pages to any of the rolls (regardless of whether the image is showing). In general, it seems like the installation never finishes and therefor misses parts.

Anyone else having this issue, or is it just me? I can reproduce it with identical results no matter what I do different, although the rest of the modules work fine (as far as I tested). If this works fine for everyone else, what could be wrong with my setup? How do I investigate this? Can't find any info in the Logging tab either.

Cheers!

p.s. I FUCKING love the fact that this firmware is available on Mark5 :D

edit 1: A bunch of other modules don't work either, just noticed occupineapple isn't doing anything. Wondering if the people who commented on this thread that "everything works perfect" actually test all modules or just the core ones.

edit 2: I'm having another doubt about all this, as I never managed to have this MK5 working properly, compared to my beloved (but less powerful) MK4 that I used a long time and has always been running rock solid. Wondering if these issues are firmware 3.0 related, or whether it is hardware related. I'll revert to to firmware 2.0 and see if I can get that to run solid for some time.

Edited by canphaz

• 1 month later...

hi everyone,

i dont touch my mark5 for several years now, today i found it on a old packpack and decide to play a little whit it, happy to find a new FW for it.

probably first of many questions on this particular FW, i cant find where to change the any IP (local eth of wifi) can it be done in the GUI?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else get RandomRoll to work properly on this firmware? 

Also, are there any newer firmwares for the MK5 than the one mentioned in this thread? Is there a github repo to keep an eye on, or something? Or will any updates be posted in this thread?

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone | Rookie there.

I thought I figured how to verify a checksum, because upgrading from 2.2 to 2.4 I found the same numbers in Terminal on OSX.
With $ md5 upgrade-2.4.0.bin ( or ) $ openssl md5 upgrade-2.4.0.bin

But impossible to get the proper number : SHA256: 45bd51c665e0587ee137fa3ea87c03493b170f9668079ed0cecd4558c266a5ca

All I get is :
$ openssl md5 upgrade-3.0.0.bin
$ MD5(upgrade-3.0.0.bin)= 6c60d9479be2a9d0c125ed3260a111c7

If someone could lead me in the right direction, would be great.
Thx.

8 hours ago, BetterBurnOut said:

Hi everyone | Rookie there.

I thought I figured how to verify a checksum, because upgrading from 2.2 to 2.4 I found the same numbers in Terminal on OSX.
With $ md5 upgrade-2.4.0.bin ( or ) $ openssl md5 upgrade-2.4.0.bin

But impossible to get the proper number : SHA256: 45bd51c665e0587ee137fa3ea87c03493b170f9668079ed0cecd4558c266a5ca

All I get is :
$ openssl md5 upgrade-3.0.0.bin
$ MD5(upgrade-3.0.0.bin)= 6c60d9479be2a9d0c125ed3260a111c7

If someone could lead me in the right direction, would be great.
Thx.

It's a SHA256 checksum and not md5 :) 

• 3 weeks later...

The BETA FW actually seems to have gotten my MKV back to a somewhat stable, working state... I had issues with WLAN1 not functioning on 2.4.0, and resetting, or re-flashing it to 2.4.0 never corrected the issue. I have a nano now too, but I hope that some sort of support/updates continues for the MKV, because it is different from the nano in a good way.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a burning problem.

I have upgraded to 3.0.0 successfully but I can't skip the Secure Setup (DIP switches). It's said that a "skip_dip_setup" on SD card can skip the DIP verification but it failed. How can I solve this?

Besides, I can't get connected to wifipineapple by SSH command . It said that "port 22: Connection refused". How to deal with that?

So much thanks, Seb

• 5 weeks later...

Hey party people...

Okay sorry but i am having troubles with my eth0 after the upgrade. Anyone else? Or what can i do to resolve this? My device is simply not using the ethernet anymore!? Plugin it into a router with DHCP is not a solution. Any suggestions how to fix it over the GUI? Or what do i need to do in the shell? How could i fix it to a static IP? In the old version you were able to change it but the new one does not have that possibility anymore =(

In the Logs i get the following messages:

Thu Aug 24 21:12:53 2017 kern.info kernel: [ 1854.440000] eth0: link up (100Mbps/Full duplex)
Thu Aug 24 21:12:53 2017 kern.info kernel: [ 1854.440000] br-lan: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state
Thu Aug 24 21:12:53 2017 kern.info kernel: [ 1854.450000] br-lan: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state
Thu Aug 24 21:12:53 2017 daemon.notice netifd: Network device 'eth0' link is up
Thu Aug 24 21:12:55 2017 kern.info kernel: [ 1856.450000] br-lan: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state

The device can only be connected to my network over Wlan which is not the way i would like it to be...

I would be gratefull for any suggestion... Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...
On 24.8.2017 at 10:19 PM, NoTele said:

How could i fix it to a static IP?

Try to add this manually to your /etc/rc.local and reboot.

brctl delif br-lan eth0 
ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.2 
route add default gw 10.0.0.1 dev eth0
brctl addif br-lan eth0

• 2 months later...