[BETA Release] Firmware 3.0

Sebkinne

Hey everyone,

It's that time of year again and as you might imagine were very excited for DEF CON. We've been busy working on new features for Buffalo Bulldozer and amidst development we've generated a mostly feature complete (sans DIP switches) and stable port of the 6th generation WiFi Pineapple firmware for the Mark V. Flashing to and from this beta release will require a manual sysupgrade from the console (see commands below). Thank you all for your patience and continued support of the project - we're excited as always to see ever more creativity among the community.

We hope you enjoy this release!
-The WiFi Pineapple Team

Download: https://www.wifipineapple.com/downloads/mk5/3.0.0
SHA256: 45bd51c665e0587ee137fa3ea87c03493b170f9668079ed0cecd4558c266a5ca

Flashing:

1. Download the upgrade-3.0.0.bin file linked above
  2. Verify the sha256 checksum
  3. SCP the downloaded .bin file to your pineapple's /tmp/ directory.
  4. SSH in to the WiFi Pineapple and execute the following command:
    sysupgrade -n /tmp/upgrade-3.0.0.bin
  5. Wait for the system to reboot and browse to http://172.16.42.1:1471
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mad Pierre said:

trying it now. However I can't seem to get the wired network into client mode , to connect to my router

In firmware 3.0.0 this is not a default (neither was it on the MK5). There is currently no way to do it via the webinterface. You can of course modify your /etc/config/network file.

• Upvote 1

WOW this is EXCELLENT news for me !!! I am so excited as I am going to TRY to use my PineappleV properly this time.  If I reset to factory default and then run the update from the existing web interface tile  will I get this release please OR do I have to do it via ssh?

thanks

So I did this and was expecting an auto mount for sd1 base on fstab

config 'mount'
    option    target        '/sd'
    option    device        '/dev/sdcard/sd1'
    option    fstype        'auto'
    option    options        'rw,sync'
    option    enabled        '1'

It did not auto-mount after I re-formatted the card for sd1 (or before after init FW flash).   sd1 is in the dev

Edited by zettaquark

Ohhhh yes!!! :cool:

Installation was no problem so far. The SD-Card works also for me without any problems.

Going to test the beta these days.

Thanks to the complete team for this update!

Question regarding this beta version – I assume this is the right place to post feedback? As to the feedback, pardon me if this is a Noob question/feedback:

Prior to this released I used the Mark V Pineapple using Ethernet and ICS. I now want to use both WLAN interfaces with this new release and I’m getting a strange result. Under Network when I boot fresh, I see wlan0 and wlan1. In the WiFi Client option drop down, I only see wlan1 (no wlan0 listed) and the note that using wlan1 will interfere with PineAP. Therefore, I assume wlan1 is the PineAP nic. Should I be able to see and select wlan0 for a WiFi client connection?

If I enable the PineAP daemon, wlan1 changes to wlan1mon (makes sense) but is still the only choice now available in the WiFi Client drop down. Wlan0 still shows in the WiFi Network config but never in the client drop down.

Shouldn’t I be able to use wlan1 as the PineAP and make a client connection over wlan0?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MartinZ said:

Shouldn’t I be able to use wlan1 as the PineAP and make a client connection over wlan0?

No, wlan0 is used to run the AP and is required for normal operation. Wlan1 is used for pineap or clientmode (not both). If you want pineap and wireless clientmode, you'll have to plug in a third supported radio. 

The update was working great for me until I rebooted, now I'm just getting a faint solid red and blue led and a solid green led, won't do anything else, can't connect over eth0.

EDIT:  ok i feel stupid now, reset all my dip switches and everything is good!  Awesome update, thanks guys!

Edited by J5x86

I am a linux noob so please don't laugh. I have ssh'd in the PineV and want to scp the bin from the linux box ( toby) to the /tmp dir on the pV  So after hunting around for how to use scp I found the following approach.

login to toby getting ip address 100.100.100.1 (fake ip but mean one assigned by pineV)

cd / folder where bin file is

ssh to pineV as root

on pineV enter

scp toby@100.100.100.1:bin file  /tmp

I get permission denied on port 22

where am I going wrong? 

Edited by odeon

WOW i finally can enjoy my MK5 that i bought almost two years ago and was not able to make it work like this version, Seb please please please put some more effort and take it out of BETA as a final gift to us long time supporters who did not whine about a broken project ....

6 minutes ago, Molotof said:

WOW i finally can enjoy my MK5 that i bought almost two years ago and was not able to make it work like this version, Seb please please please put some more effort and take it out of BETA as a final gift to us long time supporters who did not whine about a broken project ....

I can't make any promises, sorry. When and if I get time, I will try to keep this firmware updated, but it will probably never receive OTA upgrades.

23 minutes ago, Sebkinne said:

I can't make any promises, sorry. When and if I get time, I will try to keep this firmware updated, but it will probably never receive OTA upgrades.

It don't matter with the OTA updates, just a final blessing firmware like when the MK4 ended as i have it also with the final 2.8.1 which is good no problems.

1 hour ago, Molotof said:

It don't matter with the OTA updates, just a final blessing firmware like when the MK4 ended as i have it also with the final 2.8.1 which is good no problems.

The 3.0.0 firmware above is actually stable and doesn't seem to have any major bugs apart form the fact that there is no way to configure DIP switches. It will get the module updates the NANO gets to fix any minor webinterface bugs automatically.

On 05/08/2016 at 3:26 PM, Sebkinne said:

No, wlan0 is used to run the AP and is required for normal operation. Wlan1 is used for pineap or clientmode (not both). If you want pineap and wireless clientmode, you'll have to plug in a third supported radio. 

i have tried using a tplink usb nic on the old firmware and never had luck getting the drivers to make it work, is their a special brand i need or does this firmware support more usb nic's? i'd test it out but my dongle is in a pc at a dif location

i have been trying to use the pineapple app to use while mobile, but when teathering thru usb to the markV i get no response to the android phone, does the markV not supply power thru the usb? would love to get this app goign as i am struggling to share a internet signal while mobile, id prefer not to buy a 4g usb modem

cheers