What are your thoughts about windows 10.

badbass

Hi I had to set up 6 pc's and a laptop.  The pc's were shipped to the users office.  I spent two days setting every thing up due to not being able to use USMT and network issues on these pc's to transfer data from the old to the new.  There are some issues with drivers for things like printers and scanners.  

Overall, it's only a year old, it should not be used in enterprise level at all.

Windows 7 still works damn fine, and from an enterprise level is the standard. Windows 8 and 8.1 never really took off.

For now, give 10 another year or so to mature before trying to use it for business.

At my parents' their laptop had *MASSIVE* issues to get the bastard to install at all. Once it finally did get on there things were okay.

Their desktop was a different story. The install of Win10 went fine, then the thing went ape-shit. My guess is that a Java update was happening simultaneously and resulted in a reboot at the wrong time or something. End result was that their main harddisk wasn't bootable. All data was still there though. I was planning on doing just a full reinstall next time I was over, but someone in the neighbourhood offered to fix things and succeeded after 2 days of beating the box into submission (and afterwards I fixed his shit). This fucktart managed to convince my parents they had massive virus infections - turned out to be the Trash folder for their email program. They receive phishing mails, see right through the ruse and instantly delete it, but sure enough mr Fucktart's anti virus thingy found the folder and convinced him this box was a virus-infested shitpile which he, using all his skill and wisdom (WHAHAHAHA) managed to clean up and, worse, convince my parents was a problem they were woefully unaware of. So in spite of me telling them that no, everything was fine, no virus at play, you're doing the right thing when you're using your PC, now each time something is amiss I get the "maybe it's a virus? Fucktart said we had a virus. Perhaps he was right?"

My mom's really big on video and spends a LOT of time editing holiday vids and tourist-y daytrips. Her video editing program of choice released a new version which was supposed to target Win10 but thus far has been rather unwilling to install and in fact locks up the box. I'm not going to count that as a nod against Win10 completely, but it kinda makes me wonder...

Some people at work here are using Win10 on their laptops and seem happy with it. I personally loathe every bit of it and I'm supremely thankful I don't have to bother with using it.

I use Windows 10 solely for gaming and watching Netflix.

If there were better/more games available on Linux based machines, I wouldn't bother with it all. But then I guess that's personal preference.

*edit* I guess I should also give credit for using oclhashcat on it, but that's only because I have my decent GPU installed in it, due to the gaming.

Edited by haze1434

Microsoft is EOLing windows 7 pro in October of this year.  Better get your new computers before then.  I don't see them doing another windows xp style extension with the way they've been forcing home versions to 10.  We have several clients that are starting to roll out 10 on their domains.  So far, no real work stoppage issues.  A few have found no driver support for their printers, but really, it's time to replace the laserjet 4 anyway.

My gaming pc is running 10, and has been since the beta.  I've upgraded all my wife's business computers to 10, but they're not on a domain.  Didn't see the point with only 5 computers and they use google for business for email.  Only problem I had there was printer drivers.  Found I had to completely remove the old drivers then install the new drivers, after that, no issues.

Edited by barry99705

I'm not yet convinced by Win10, not to mention the aggressive "Upgrade now" policy.
So I'll stay with 8.1 + Classic Shell on my desktop.

• 2 weeks later...

Been using OS X now for almost 7 months it's been better then using Windows after I used Windows 10 preview I was convinced to build a Hackintosh to get away from future Windows upgrades so far I like OS X I feel less paranoid that someone is watching me :B Also I don't really need to worry much about the security issues I had to worry about with Windows.

I have Windows 7 on a HDD my OS X on a SSD and when Windows 7 stops getting updates like Windows XP i'll possibly use Windows 7 and hopefully by then maybe Steam OS will take off and I'll just switch to Steam OS for my Gaymen needs.

Ive completely switched to OSX and so have my parents and grandparents after we have all had major issues with Win10 not working for some reason or another.  I will never use windows again and either will anybody in my family.  Enterprise wise, my company still use winxp which is outdated but works for them.  Win10 will never see a hdd or ssd in my house agian.  Linux or OSX only. 

Start menu you know and love is back in Windows 10 and it was my surprising fact. I am now upgraded to windows 10 and I am a writer focused on career and physical development to spread more issues and tips to develop and works through professional resume writing service.  It feels slightly odd to celebrate its return, as it should never have gone away. It’s probably the biggest change, aside from the dark theme, that you’ll notice after Windows 8. But Microsoft hasn’t simply just reinstated the old version from Windows 7. Instead, it’s completely redesigned it in a way that combines the best aspects of the last two versions of Windows.

Personally I'm not too fond of Win10, mainly because I feel I don't control my own system. There's just to many things hidden under the hood that don't respect my privacy. Such as the unique advertising ID, WiFi password sharing, default enabled backing up of your user data to the cloud etc. Many things can be turned off but that's just it, I don't want to turn things off, I want opt-in.

Still I think it's useful from a professional perspective to get to know each OS. Sometimes it's mandatory, eg when you're a system administrator having to manage these machines. Having a gaming or Netflix pc running Win10 would be a good way to get to know it. But it's not handling my data :)

• 2 weeks later...

It all depends on how you use these computers and in what environment. There are still many things that can improve on Windows 10, but there are also enough things to love. Especially that it is finally possible to use multiple desktops, hurray! It does work fast and smooth on all 3 installations I've used so far, with one issue on one of these machines where the start-menu was temporarily not functioning.

I'm using multiple operating systems including but not limited to Ubuntu, MacOS and Windows. Personally I love Ubuntu the most, but have to admit it does not fulfill everyone's requirements. Microsoft is still very strong on centralized maintenance and product suites that -when properly configured- can work almost seamless together. And I do believe they are on the right track to converge multiple systems (smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc) into one with only different form-factors.

But I do strongly agree with Maxwell as well, that some options should be opt-in at all times and you should have a good overview of all services that share your information with others. Although not all of what he mentioned was turned on btw. At least Windows is now supplied with standard some form of protection switched on, something that can't be said about some other popular operating systems.

I have zero problems with Windows 10.  I've used it on my personal computer since it came out and I use it on my work computer.  I also have a Macbook Pro with the latest version of OS X and I honestly prefer my Windows machine (although I used to prefer my Mac).  We even use Win10 in a VDI environment at work and don't have any problems (yet).  I really don't expect there to be any problems, either.

Has nobody yet caught on??  where microsoft products are concerned were all bloody unpaid beta tester's!!
He's the only person in the world allowed to sell unfinished products not fit for purpose.
just because you dont have problems yet doesnt mean you wont have!! with old bill gates thats a rock solid
guarantee!!! psmlol

On 7/12/2016 at 3:20 PM, sud0nick said:

I have zero problems with Windows 10.  I've used it on my personal computer since it came out and I use it on my work computer.  I also have a Macbook Pro with the latest version of OS X and I honestly prefer my Windows machine (although I used to prefer my Mac).  We even use Win10 in a VDI environment at work and don't have any problems (yet).  I really don't expect there to be any problems, either.

The way I see it you're using an OS that by default collects detailed data about your usage and stores it somewhere else. 

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

Are you ok with that?

3 hours ago, Maxwell said:

The way I see it you're using an OS that by default collects detailed data about your usage and stores it somewhere else. 

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

Are you ok with that?

Yes because I don't use a Microsoft account on my system.  Maybe I'm the only one but when I first installed Win10 I turned off all of the "let me spy on you" things and refused to sign in with my Microsoft account.  I also completely disabled Cortana.  So everything in the article you posted doesn't apply to me.

20 hours ago, sud0nick said:

Yes because I don't use a Microsoft account on my system.  Maybe I'm the only one but when I first installed Win10 I turned off all of the "let me spy on you" things and refused to sign in with my Microsoft account.  I also completely disabled Cortana.  So everything in the article you posted doesn't apply to me.

Well at least YOU aware of it. That's cool.

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, barry99705 said:

You must be one of those flip phone people I see every now and then.

Not sure what you mean by that but I'm guessing it's not a compliment. I just hate it that corporations and governments are taking our privacy and self-determination away from us, nibbling at it step by step. And getting away with it because many people just say... "Hey man, I have nothing to hide ". The lamest thing in my book to say.

Not sure what a flip phone has to do with it but I am one of those people who turn off Wifi when they leave the house because I don't want the supermarket to register my visits, the amount of time I spent in the shop and the route I take inside (yeah some stores here do that).

And to circle back to the OP's topic, in my humble opinion using Windows 10 as your main OS without asking any questions (or modifying it like sud0nick) is like accepting, like sheep, the next step in letting others decide what happens to my data. Rant rant :)

3 hours ago, Maxwell said:

Not sure what you mean by that but I'm guessing it's not a compliment. I just hate it that corporations and governments are taking our privacy and self-determination away from us, nibbling at it step by step. And getting away with it because many people just say... "Hey man, I have nothing to hide ". The lamest thing in my book to say.

Not sure what a flip phone has to do with it but I am one of those people who turn off Wifi when they leave the house because I don't want the supermarket to register my visits, the amount of time I spent in the shop and the route I take inside (yeah some stores here do that).

And to circle back to the OP's topic, in my humble opinion using Windows 10 as your main OS without asking any questions (or modifying it like sud0nick) is like accepting, like sheep, the next step in letting others decide what happens to my data. Rant rant :)

What I'm saying is EVERY smartphone out today collects personal data.  Doesn't matter if you turn off wifi or not, that info still goes to Google, Microsoft or Apple.  I'd say within the next 5 years or so, you won't be able to buy Windows, or Office.  It will be subscription based, just like a lot of other software companies are doing.  Microsoft is already leaning this way with Office.  It's a pain in the ass to install a standalone version now.  You have to register it with a valid email address.  The serial number that comes in the box isn't the serial that gets installed.  MacOS collects your data.  They call it a backup, but whatever.  Ubuntu by default collects your search history.  Your ISP collects data.  Hate to tell you this, but on the personal privacy thing, we've lost.  Unless you live in a cabin in the woods somewhere with no services, someone is collecting data about you.