autossh with digital ocean

kimkong

i'm working with the lan turtle  and I see a tutorial for  Persistent Shell Access with AutoSSH, when I have of lan turtle into a usb port in my pc, the lan turtle work fine, I can connect from my vps to the lan turtle without any problem, but when I activated the Autossh and connect the Lan turtle to  external battery for  try of connect from my vps to Lan turtle  is imposible  the connect,
I worked with this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIdvvrDrRj0
but  Into the vps  he only made a new user,
is possible what I need another configuration into my vps for can connect to the lan turtle using autossh

• 5 years later...

I have a problem that looks like…
The AutoSSH connection is up on the Turtle.

On the VPS, when I try: ssh root@localhost the connection is refused…

Edited by Éd_D

I think that sshd is misconfigured on the vps:

root@vps:~# grep ^[^#] /etc/ssh/sshd_config 
Port 2222
PermitRootLogin no
ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
UsePAM yes
PrintMotd no
AcceptEnv LANG LC_*
Subsystem sftp	/usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server
PasswordAuthentication yes
root@vps:~# 

(When commissioning, I only uncommented the Port directive, changed 22 to 2222 on this ligne and changed yes to no for the PermitRootLogin directive…)

2 hours ago, chrizree said:

Did you use the correct port?

I tried both:

turtle@vps:~$ ssh root@localhost
ssh: connect to host localhost port 22: Connection refused
turtle@vps:~$ ssh -p 22 root@localhost
ssh: connect to host localhost port 22: Connection refused
turtle@vps:~$ ssh -p 2222 root@localhost
root@localhost's password: 
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied, please try again.
^C
turtle@vps:~$ 

3 hours ago, chrizree said:

Was that default settings or did you change the file yourself? Why add the vps to 2222?

In fact, I have changed the ssh port (22) by a custom one (port number chosen between 49152 and 65535) for security reason.

When I copy commands and screen output on the forum, I write 2222 instead the real l number because "2222" look nice as customed ssh number…

🙂

Edited by Éd_D

On the LAN Turtle, AutoSSH is running:

root@turtle:~# ps
[…]
28771 root       936 S    /usr/sbin/autossh -M 20000    -i /root/.ssh/id_rsa -N -T -R xxxxx:localhost:22 turtle@vps.domain.tld -p 22
[…]
root@turtle:~# 

(Debian man page about autossh [https://manpages.debian.org/bullseye/autossh/autossh.1.en.html] is not complete enough to understand all the command line arguments.)

From here, everything looks ok. No problem with the ssh connection to the VPS.

Edited by Éd_D

With the autossh module stopped in the Turtle "text based GUI", try running the following directly from the terminal on the Turtle (change user@address to something relevant for your setup and ports as well, if not "default")
autossh -M 20000 -i /root/.ssh/id_rsa -R 2222:localhost:22 user@address -p 22 -N -T

If that works (it should), change the following line in /etc/turtle/modules/autossh from:
uci set autossh.@autossh[0].ssh="-i /root/.ssh/id_rsa -N -T -R "$autossh_remoteport":localhost:"$autossh_localport" "$autossh_host" -p "$autossh_port" "
 to:
uci set autossh.@autossh[0].ssh="-i /root/.ssh/id_rsa -R "$autossh_remoteport":localhost:"$autossh_localport" "$autossh_host" -p "$autossh_port" -N -T"

Furthermore... to get the module itself working, change the lines in the "configure" function of the autossh module from:
    autossh_host=$(uci show autossh.@autossh[0].ssh | awk '{print $7}' | sed "s/'//g")
    autossh_port=$(uci show autossh.@autossh[0].ssh | awk '{print $9}' | sed "s/'//g")
    autossh_remoteport=$(uci show autossh.@autossh[0].ssh | awk '{print $6}' | sed 's/:/ /g' | awk '{print $1}')
    autossh_localport=$(uci show autossh.@autossh[0].ssh | awk '{print $6}' | sed 's/:/ /g' | awk '{print $3}')
 to:
    autossh_host=$(uci show autossh.@autossh[0].ssh | awk '{print $5}' | sed "s/'//g")
    autossh_port=$(uci show autossh.@autossh[0].ssh | awk '{print $7}' | sed "s/'//g")
    autossh_remoteport=$(uci show autossh.@autossh[0].ssh | awk '{print $4}' | sed 's/:/ /g' | awk '{print $1}')
    autossh_localport=$(uci show autossh.@autossh[0].ssh | awk '{print $4}' | sed 's/:/ /g' | awk '{print $3}')

Also change the line in the "start" function of the autossh module from:
autossh_host=$(uci show autossh.@autossh[0].ssh | awk '{print $7}' | sed 's/@/ /g' | awk '{print $2}')
to:
autossh_host=$(uci show autossh.@autossh[0].ssh | awk '{print $5}' | sed 's/@/ /g' | awk '{print $2}')

Done!

• Like 1