Nano Antenna upgrade

b0N3z

I noticed in the Hak5 shop that they have put an antenna upgrade for the nano with different antennas.  They are 3dbi but my question is, how are these better than the stock antennas and what is the gain vs stock antennas.  Ive been using 5dbi antenna on my nano. Will these antennas perform as a good as the 5dbi?

If your 5dBi antennas are cut for the 2.4GHz range, then going with 3dBi antennas would be a definite step down for you. Your current 5dBi antennas are 1.6 times more powerful than 3dBi antennas would be.

You do bring up a very valid point regarding the existing antennas. The antenna gain of the current nano antennas are not given (or I just haven't found it), so there is no way to quantify the actual gain you would be getting by going from the nano stock antennas to the 3dBi antennas. For example, if the current antennas have a gain of 1dBi, then $10 to purchase the 3dBi anennas would get you 1.6x more power. However, if the current antennas provide something like -3dBi, then you would get benefit from 4x power.

Guess this is a question best left for the guys in charge. :smile:

The stock nano antenna if im not mistaken are 3dbi.  But the upgrade antennas are also 3dbi and they are a lower profile for the nano and tactical case, which looks nice and compact from the picture given.  But it says they will increase performance over stock.  

My main question is how can 2 different types of 3dbi antenna have different strengths to them.  

16 hours ago, Skinny said:

If your 5dBi antennas are cut for the 2.4GHz range, then going with 3dBi antennas would be a definite step down for you. Your current 5dBi antennas are 1.6 times more powerful than 3dBi antennas would be.

You do bring up a very valid point regarding the existing antennas. The antenna gain of the current nano antennas are not given (or I just haven't found it), so there is no way to quantify the actual gain you would be getting by going from the nano stock antennas to the 3dBi antennas. For example, if the current antennas have a gain of 1dBi, then $10 to purchase the 3dBi anennas would get you 1.6x more power. However, if the current antennas provide something like -3dBi, then you would get benefit from 4x power.

Guess this is a question best left for the guys in charge. :smile:

I have been mainly using 5dbi for home use because I test a lot at home and sometimes from a different room but I still the stock 3dbi for a tactical case I use.

Ive done research on antenna gain and how different antennas preform. The TX and RX powers and making sure im not using antennas that would violate FCC codes for the devices i'm using them on.

In FPV these standard antennas are also the standard on the 500mw video transmitters I use (Lawmate and/or TBS), and have seen mine from 5 miles out with no issue. They are good antennas, maybe not so much in urban situations.

I'm sitting on both an 11dbi and 19dbi Yagi from Germany - finely tuned devices they are :) Maybe down the road I will test these.

I would be very curious if anyone has done this yet, they are a fairly directional antenna. I've got an 8dbi flat patch that has picked up my 500mw vid from 4 miles out with no issue, as well as a RH Polarized 14dbi "Black Cannon" from IBCrazy - the man builds superb antennas and tests in RF Pure test rooms (This is not cheap mind you).

How do those cantennas/biquad metal plate antennas fare?  Also Yagi antennas seem to only get to a certain size.  I presume it's because of the gaps and math behind the size of bands of the 2.4ghz spectrum..?

I bought a set of these, but they dont seem to tighten up when fitting them. Not sure if they are supposed to be like that, they also made it very hot. Reverting to the standard set seemed a lot better. Does the case need to be trimmed to get them to fit?

2 hours ago, Ajaxjones said:

I bought a set of these, but they dont seem to tighten up when fitting them. Not sure if they are supposed to be like that, they also made it very hot. Reverting to the standard set seemed a lot better. Does the case need to be trimmed to get them to fit?

can you take a picture?

I have both.

the upgrade is very useful when using the tactical case as it slides in and out without having to unscrew one anntenna. So no, if you have the actual hak5 case, then they fit perfectly. 

As for reflection and broadcast, I noticed similar performance from both. Both sets are best used when working in a very local area (think very large room type of space). Once you get about 40-50 yards away, reception gets pretty weak with both  

As for heat, I've only noticed higher heats when using a case which is to be expected.

I also have 9Dbi's and even a yagi setup that I just build and am experimenting with.  These have pretty impressive results. 

20 hours ago, questionmore1333 said:

Hi Ajaxjones.  I agree that the newer, 3dbi antennas are difficult to tighten-up for some reason?  Given the screw+nut+threads are metal and the unit is plastic, I wouldn't advise over-tightening anything with either screwdriver and/or spanner.    In terms of heat output, I have not noticed a big difference between standard and enhanced antennas.  I have only tested whilst attached to the pineapple juice 4000 battery-pack, though.  Are you connecting to another power source?  Cheers,...

i would, but this BBS doesnt allow anything to be attached. Basically when these are tightened up they first load up against the case and cant be really tightened. So they just hang loose and swivel around

Since I received the nano I've used it with both the standard antenna's and upgraded versions. Didn't spot a difference in performance of these antenna's either.

Though I have to mention that the antenna's are getting quite warm near the connectors making metal of the upgraded antenna's unpleasantly warm to touch.

im guessing that the antenna makes a good connection with the nano as its screwed all the way down.  I have antenna that won't screw all the way down, and while they work great and it doesn't matter, it bothers me ( OCD ).  Id have to say that the HAK5 team wouldn't be selling these in the shop if they have not tested the product themselves.  Im going to get them for the simple Fact of having a more compact unit for travelling.

4 hours ago, b0N3z said:

im guessing that the antenna makes a good connection with the nano as its screwed all the way down.  I have antenna that won't screw all the way down, and while they work great and it doesn't matter, it bothers me ( OCD ).  Id have to say that the HAK5 team wouldn't be selling these in the shop if they have not tested the product themselves.  Im going to get them for the simple Fact of having a more compact unit for travelling.

Totally worth it, especially if you have the tactical case, or any case really. It fits much  easier for limited engagements. 

I have run PineAP from a pocket for a couple hours before using the "upgraded" anntenna switch success. 

Yes I have 2 different cases that I use depending on the size antenna I use.  These antenna should make my NANO fit in my small one with no antenna sticking out for stealthier engagements 

The new nano is great, my only grumble is the rp sma conectors are too short exiting the nano case which is fine with the stock antennas that came with device.

This become an obstacle if you want to change antennas, as rp sma standard brass connectors (male) have a longer female thread which wont tighten up enouth

to make a good enough connection, also many 2.4 GHz antennas suffer from the same problem. I got over this by simply getting a rpsma male to rpsma female brass

adapter and filing  the male end ( the female thread) and then you can add any rp sma connector or antenna without risking a dodgy antenna connection.

I hope this helps

sma pic.jpg

Solved this one, popped the case apart. took out the board, closed it up and ran a 8mm drill through both holes.

Put the board back in and the SMA connectors now tighten up as they are meant to and can screw down finger tight. Means the antenna can stand up now on their own without flopping down all the time too,

On 5/23/2016 at 4:44 PM, b0N3z said:

The stock nano antenna if im not mistaken are 3dbi.  But the upgrade antennas are also 3dbi and they are a lower profile for the nano and tactical case, which looks nice and compact from the picture given.  But it says they will increase performance over stock.  

My main question is how can 2 different types of 3dbi antenna have different strengths to them.  

I have been mainly using 5dbi for home use because I test a lot at home and sometimes from a different room but I still the stock 3dbi for a tactical case I use.

Ive done research on antenna gain and how different antennas preform. The TX and RX powers and making sure im not using antennas that would violate FCC codes for the devices i'm using them on.

Stock antennas are 2 dbi. I also have 3dbi. 3dbi is fatter. 

I solved the issue with the antenna adaptors not fitting well by taking the board out of the case, clipping the case together again and making the holes slightly bigger with a fitting drill bit. Re-assemble the NANO and the adapters fit fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently running the nano with the stock antennas and purchased one of these ASUS antennas from Microcenter...

http://www.microcenter.com/product/458151/WL-ANT191_9dBi_Wireless_Antenna_-_Factory_Recertified

Now the thing is I tested both (a very unconventional test i know) by walking outside into my backyard to the exact same point by a gate in the far corner. Believe it or not the stock antenna would allow me to pick up a faint signal here and there when using a wifi analyzer app on my phone but the asus antenna got nothing! could it just be a bad antenna or am i missing something? read a bit about antennas and the science behind them and got sort of a headache. I was just looking for a good upgrade for my nano and dont care about antenna size

• 6 months later...

So I finally got around to getting the antenna upgrade for the nano and it is so compact now its awesome.  Just to find a battery that is small enough and powerful enough to power it.  Ive been using a 20100mah 5v3.4a.  To big for a coat pocket lol

• 9 months later...
On 30/06/2016 at 7:45 PM, markmn123 said:

I am currently running the nano with the stock antennas and purchased one of these ASUS antennas from Microcenter...

http://www.microcenter.com/product/458151/WL-ANT191_9dBi_Wireless_Antenna_-_Factory_Recertified

Now the thing is I tested both (a very unconventional test i know) by walking outside into my backyard to the exact same point by a gate in the far corner. Believe it or not the stock antenna would allow me to pick up a faint signal here and there when using a wifi analyzer app on my phone but the asus antenna got nothing! could it just be a bad antenna or am i missing something? read a bit about antennas and the science behind them and got sort of a headache. I was just looking for a good upgrade for my nano and dont care about antenna size

Could be related to this

FED7FEC8-E623-4AA7-B35C-23741D7970F3.jpeg

Archived