! wlan0 in Recon might be the failure

MarcSThe1st

Hi devs,

I just did some researches as I have the problems that recon is hardly showing any results. (only a few APs and sometimes a few out-of-range) - but less than I know and my macbook is actually showing. :dry:

As I mentioned in an other thread:
- The Recon scan takes up to 5 seconds till starting.
(-also PineAP only logs very(!) few probes and almost none associations.)

To analyse whats going on I checked what Recon is doing (/usr/bin/pineapple/site_survey) and startet the jobs manually via SSH: :cool:
- I added a Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter (cheapest Nano USB-Adapter) as wlan2 (no external antenna)
I started "iw wlan0 scan" and just after finishing "iw wlan2 scan".
Result:
wlan0: 3 BSSs (all with "HT capabilities")

wlan2: 6 BSSs (only 1 without "HT capabilities")
Edit: wlan1: 7BSSs available.

iw info showing wlan0 is set txpower 17dBm and wlan2 (the crap-stick) is set to 30dBm. :wacko:
So i set wlan2 to 17dBm as well (iwconfig wlan2 txpower 17dBm, confirmed by info :smile: ). BUT I get to results as testet above:

wlan0: 1 BSS (my own AP)
again wlan2: 6 BSSs (only 1 without "HT capabilities") :unsure:

So any idea what's wrong with wlan0? Might the usage of wlan0 (as AP and Managed AP) be causing any Problems?

I disabled the Managed AP but still the same error.

To be honest: I'm clueless now. :angry: But if you need more information: let me know..

Is wlan0 broken?!

Hi.

I've got the same issue as you.

wlan0 is deaf and is not seeing as many networks as wlan1 and wlan2.

I made a ticket in the bugtracker about this.

I know, I added further information to the bug tracker. :cool:

Let's see, if Seb or Darren will have an idea and/or solution. :unsure:

• 5 months later...

Hey all - I just found this post. I bought a brand new Pineapple Tetra a week or two ago, and noticed the same issue. WLAN1 appears to be a lot more powerful than WLAN0! It sees 2-3 times more networks. What gives here? Darren?

1 hour ago, Que said:

Hey all - I just found this post. I bought a brand new Pineapple Tetra a week or two ago, and noticed the same issue. WLAN1 appears to be a lot more powerful than WLAN0! It sees 2-3 times more networks. What gives here? Darren?

If you have a TETRA, post in the TETRA forum. You can just reference this thread from there.

Also post the output from the commands used in the OP.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
24 minutes ago, TheFont said:

MY PineApple Nano does not see a lot of networks either. I have to be close to a router to even see it. Is there a way this can be resolved?

Any actual distances? details of obstructions? signal strength values for given distances? tried different antennas? Used nano without antennas on in the past? do you see more with laptop and wifi adapter?

More details helps a lot.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:00 PM, Just_a_User said:

Any actual distances? details of obstructions? signal strength values for given distances? tried different antennas? Used nano without antennas on in the past? do you see more with laptop and wifi adapter?

More details helps a lot.

My router is about 15 ft away and the signal is -86. Even the AP that is broadcast by the pinapple itself shows -78 and jumps down to -47 but not stronger.

signal.JPG?dl=1

I did not try different antennas, these are the only once I have. No I never used the nano without antenna.

If I check the reception with my laptop I see way more networks and my router signal is full bars. I have the nano connected to  my laptop.\\The nano is upgraded to the latest firmware and I fully factory reset it and also formated the sd card I am using.

config01.JPG?dl=1

Is there anything else I can check or post?

1 hour ago, TheFont said:

My router is about 15 ft away and the signal is -86. Even the AP that is broadcast by the pinapple itself shows -78 and jumps down to -47 but not stronger.

Although -86 does seem a little high - as a comparison though, my ISP router is 7ft (2.13 m) away from my tetra gives -81 with direct line of sight no walls or obstructions. In contrast to that my older 2nd (lab) router that sits next to my ISP router gives -33.  So is definitely router specific, I would imagine router age/technology playing a part in that.

To be fair though, for home lab use against your own devices what you have should be enough. Did you have a specific thing that didn't work for you due to lack of signal strength?

The nano is using 2-3dbi antennas as standard so you should be able to boost reception by trying some larger gain antennas (subject to local laws). Maybe even try dangling one on an extension cable out of the window if things get desperate.

15 hours ago, Just_a_User said:

Although -86 does seem a little high - as a comparison though, my ISP router is 7ft (2.13 m) away from my tetra gives -81 with direct line of sight no walls or obstructions. In contrast to that my older 2nd (lab) router that sits next to my ISP router gives -33.  So is definitely router specific, I would imagine router age/technology playing a part in that.

To be fair though, for home lab use against your own devices what you have should be enough. Did you have a specific thing that didn't work for you due to lack of signal strength?

The nano is using 2-3dbi antennas as standard so you should be able to boost reception by trying some larger gain antennas (subject to local laws). Maybe even try dangling one on an extension cable out of the window if things get desperate.

My laptop that has the same distance to the router (My router is in plain sight) shows -41db if I check it via Linux. I don't even see my wifi extender that is in an other room. The laptop does see that without problems. I also see 20+ stations on my laptop on my nano I only see 1 extra station with bad signal also. This is not normal behavior. I tried several wifi adapters in the past and they all see a lot of stations, the Nano doesn't. My Mark 5 also sees way more stations with its default antenna's.

57 minutes ago, TheFont said:

My laptop that has the same distance to the router (My router is in plain sight) shows -41db if I check it via Linux. I don't even see my wifi extender that is in an other room. The laptop does see that without problems. I also see 20+ stations on my laptop on my nano I only see 1 extra station with bad signal also. This is not normal behavior. I tried several wifi adapters in the past and they all see a lot of stations, the Nano doesn't. My Mark 5 also sees way more stations with its default antenna's.

Your laptop will have a higher gain usually around 5-8dbi antenna IIRC - Your best indication would be if you had a second nano to run next to yours. Perhaps you have a friend also with a nano?

If you are convinced there is a hardware issue then maybe its best to contact official hak5 support. https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/requests/new

2 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

Your laptop will have a higher gain usually around 5-8dbi antenna IIRC - Your best indication would be if you had a second nano to run next to yours. Perhaps you have a friend also with a nano?

If you are convinced there is a hardware issue then maybe its best to contact official hak5 support. https://docs.hak5.org/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thank you for your quick reply and support. I unfortunately do not know anyone nearby that has a nano. I will try and contact official support and hope they might know what is happening.  I will first do a comparison between the nano and the mk5. If you like I can post the results.

Archived