Stability issues with Red is wlan1mon, when being disabled and tethering stopping.

zoro25

I'm running my device from a USB power source (battery for charging), and every 3-5 mins the red light will turn off and the device get into an unstable state. I'm guessing its due to power draw on the device being too much for my power brick.

I'm using the LimeAid Blast L180X (1800mAh) with 3.1Amps and 10V total output.

1d12060ca340f115febcd26640e27fee_origina

So when using both USB ports I'm giving my device 3.1Amps (2.1port1 1.0port2) and 10V (5V from each port)

I know the Tetra needs 12V and 1.5Amps,

So I was wondering if my powerbrick should work, or do I need to find a new solution?,

I'm wondering what everone else is using for Tetra mobile (besides a Nano? :-))

My only next hope is to try and use something like my LegionMeter , however not sure just pumping more wattage/mAh will do the trick

Edited by zoro25

I had mine running off the y-cable to the pineapple 15000 2.1a, the other port on a anker powercore+ 10050, then a standard micro-usb cable plugged into a anker powercore+ 13400 with pine ap and getting clients for over 10 hours. Still some juice left in the batteries. On did it on two separate days for the same length of time each. Running the whole time in the edc front pocket.

I just got the anker powercore 20100 (note it's not the +) but I haven't hooked it up yet to run with yet.

All of the ankers claim 4.8a output, Going to see how long it will go when I replace add the 20100 to the mix and replace the 10050 with a second pineapple 15000. Thinking I might be able to squeeze 24 hours out of it.

So I have to confirm that somehow the two main 15000 pineapple batteries are somehow not holding the tetra up.it's seems to be fine for about 20min then just freezes.will reflash and fully charge batteries and test again.

Weird thing is that when I use my anker with 4ah output it works fine.we might have to look if the provided ones are just not enough or faulty.

Will give update tonight

I've had mine hooked up to just two pineapple 15000 for 30 minutes now and counting, I'll leave it running and check back again after going to see deadpool. I have one y-cable plugged into both slots of one pineapple 15000 and just a regular micro-usb in the other 2.1a of the second pineapple 15000. PineAP is running and you can see the current load it has (although I just noticed the 1700+ ssids I had in my pool have mysteriously disappeared :/)

tuT3dqi.jpg

I found my issue with stability is power related and I can keep the device slightly more stable if I don't run nGrep or UrlSnarf.

So lighter load on the device the more stable. Seems to match what Darren said in previous threads, I'm going to purchase another battery to test with 2 plugged in.

UrlSnarf will kill the redlight on the device (mon mode I think) right away.

Edited by zoro25

zoro25 - the max output of your battery is 5V/2.1A. I'm not sure where you're getting the 10V/3.1A number, but you're only supplying 10.5 Watts (W=V*A) and while that's sufficient for light operation, you'll run into instability as you increase load. It's for this reason that we're shipping two Pineapple Juice 15000 batteries with the TETRA (5V*2.1=10.5W) * 2 = 21W (above the recommended 18W).

• Upvote 1

What battery would you suggest shadowmmm and bored369?

I waiting for a confirmation/recognition of an email sent to hak5, to replace a faulty battery, I can't even boot with the 2 pineapple 15000's I recieved..... One of them turns off during boot.

Not really blaming hak5, rf shielding and tweaking raised power consumption. So far with very little testing, my Tetra works fine powered with 12v 1a power supply, and y cable connected to a desktop.

Again my testing has been limited, not having much time for the next week or so, but I guess I might start looking for alternatives anyway..... I really want to be mobile with my Tetra.

Xrad are you sure it's a faulty battery? I had a similar issue with one of the batteries wheni first got it. I would turn it on and the led lit up. As soon as it had any draw on the battery it would shut off. I fully charged my battery over night and haven't had problems with it since.

I waiting for a confirmation/recognition of an email sent to hak5, to replace a faulty battery, I can't even boot with the 2 pineapple 15000's I recieved..... One of them turns off during boot.

Not really blaming hak5, rf shielding and tweaking raised power consumption. So far with very little testing, my Tetra works fine powered with 12v 1a power supply, and y cable connected to a desktop.

Again my testing has been limited, not having much time for the next week or so, but I guess I might start looking for alternatives anyway..... I really want to be mobile with my Tetra.

Just a thought - does your laptop have 3+ USB ports?

Just a thought - does your laptop have 3+ USB ports?

It's a desktop, one y cable usb 3 I believe..... I had about 30 minutes to mess with everything today..... It booted I was able to connect.... It ran idle just fine connected to it.....12v 1a power supply that was sent, worked fine idle...... I just couldn't boot with the batteries..... One of them would turn off... No lights..... But you posted a pic in the other thread.... If that's the proper configuration...that is not how I conected....I used one y cable conected to both bateries.....possibly I screwed up..... I'm going to try that..... Maybe tonight.....(its kind of late CT)....

I can confirm I had no issues running it for 10+ hours on this configuration:

Y-cable cord 1:

2.1a slot of Pineapple 15000

Y-cable cord 2:

Anker PowerCore+ 13400 2.4a (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013HSWY5K)

Standard Micro-Usb cord:

Anker PowerCore+ 10050 2.4a (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013HSQXZC)

I also just got the Anker PowerCore 20100 (note no +) which is 2.4a as well (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013HSQXZC) and don't see any reason that wouldn't work as well.

Note I had 3 separate packs connected to run for that prolonged period of time.

After returning from deadpool my tetra was restarting after getting pineap flashing the red light, i'm posting the video of it doing this with just the two pineapple 15000 to the thread once I have it uploaded: https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/37663-pineapple-tetra-reboots-after-a-few-minutes/

It's a desktop, one y cable usb 3 I believe..... I had about 30 minutes to mess with everything today..... It booted I was able to connect.... It ran idle just fine connected to it.....12v 1a power supply that was sent, worked fine idle...... I just couldn't boot with the batteries..... One of them would turn off... No lights..... But you posted a pic in the other thread.... If that's the proper configuration...that is not how I conected....I used one y cable conected to both bateries.....possibly I screwed up..... I'm going to try that..... Maybe tonight.....(its kind of late CT)....

thank... you... for... the... detailed... response... :lol::grin::cool::tongue::happy:

• Upvote 1

I can confirm I had no issues running it for 10+ hours on this configuration:

Y-cable cord 1:

2.1a slot of Pineapple 15000

Y-cable cord 2:

Anker PowerCore+ 13400 2.4a (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013HSWY5K)

Standard Micro-Usb cord:

Anker PowerCore+ 10050 2.4a (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013HSQXZC)

I also just got the Anker PowerCore 20100 (note no +) which is 2.4a as well (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013HSQXZC) and don't see any reason that wouldn't work as well.

Note I had 3 separate packs connected to run for that prolonged period of time.

After returning from deadpool my tetra was restarting after getting pineap flashing the red light, i'm posting the video of it doing this with just the two pineapple 15000 to the thread once I have it uploaded: https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/37663-pineapple-tetra-reboots-after-a-few-minutes/

That's 34.5 watts capacity. You'll never draw all of that power. You could get away with any two of the above three and be fine -- but what you're doing with three is prolonging your run time.

The Pineapple Juice 15000 will power down if there isn't any draw after 30 seconds. I posted this in another thread but you might look into powering using this cable configuration:

5QwPDXH.jpg

At least I was able to boot and connect....?, but alas, one of my batteries turns itself off, when I try to recon...... I still need another battery or option

So I have to confirm that somehow the two main 15000 pineapple batteries are somehow not holding the tetra up.it's seems to be fine for about 20min then just freezes.will reflash and fully charge batteries and test again.

Weird thing is that when I use my anker with 4ah output it works fine.we might have to look if the provided ones are just not enough or faulty.

Will give update tonight

I'm having the same problem, & can confirm my setup is exactly the same as the example picture Darren posted.

Tested from a fresh install with fully charged batteries.

Edited by 3mrgnc3

I seem to have narrowed down the issue. I have the same setup as pictured above. I performed factory reset and it was solid for 20 minutes so I then slowing started configuring it one setting at a time. As soon as I enable PineAP - Beacon Response, the pineapple will not go longer than 5-6 minutes before rebooting, sometimes as little as 2 minutes. If I manage to disable Beacon response the pineapple goes back to functioning like it should.

P.S. when powered by the A/C adapter provided with my tactical kit the pineapple does not suffer these same reboots like it does when running off the two batteries.