General TETRA Discussion

Whistle Master

So I have they y USB cable plugged into 2 USB 3.0 ports and I have solid blue light that periodically go out. I also have an ethernet cable plugged into the ethernet port but I can't access the web interface. Missed the earlier post about the battery. When I purchased the battery as part of the kit for the tetra I didn't really expect that it wouldn't have enough juice to run the tetra. My bad.

So I have they y USB cable plugged into 2 USB 3.0 ports and I have solid blue light that periodically go out. I also have an ethernet cable plugged into the ethernet port but I can't access the web interface. Missed the earlier post about the battery. When I purchased the battery as part of the kit for the tetra I didn't really expect that it wouldn't have enough juice to run the tetra. My bad.

The ethernet port is for WAN, and expects the WiFi Pineapple TETRA expects an IP via DHCP.

If you want to access the webinterface, you need to use the USB ETH port, or WiFi.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Okay I switched to my 12v, 2A battery. Flashed the firmware, and all is well. Used my Alfa USB to connect to my Asus router via 5ghz. Logged into the Pineapple management AP with my phone I was able to max my Internet connection. (30mbps/5mbps)

What battery would that be Boosted240?

Edited by xrad

Tetra arrived today. Anxious to try it out so I plugged in the mini USB USB from the charger to the UART and eventually got a solid blue light. However when I try to navigate to 172.16.42.1:1471 -- nothing. I have an active ethernet link but nothing. When I plug in the barrel cable from the Pineapple Juice 15000 --- nothing -- no lights nothing. Any help appreciated.

Awesome! Glad it arrived!

Like Seb said, the RJ45 Ethernet port is for WAN. If you plug it into a network it'll look for an address from DHCP. To access the web interface over Ethernet, connect the cable from your computer to the ETH micro USB port.

The DC barrel port is for 12V, not 5V -- that's why it's labeled as such and why we included the power information sheet. The USB barrel cable that's included with the Pineapple Juice 15000 is for the older Mark V model WiFi Pineapple and won't power the TETRA. It seems I should have removed it from the box as not to cause confusion. Sorry about that!

To battery power the TETRA, connect the USB cables to the two Pineapple Juice 15000 packs. That'll supply enough current and then some :). Unfortunately since your TETRA arrived today, and based on your comment, you probably only received one battery by mistake. Again, I'm really sorry about that. We'll be contacting you and the few others who were only sent one by email tomorrow to confirm the shipping of a second battery. It'll be shipped at no cost to you. There's more info on that from the first page of this thread.

Anyway, do that and I'm sure you'll get setup in short order. There are some setup videos on https://www.wifipineapple.com/tetra that should help! I'm looking forward to hearing your experience with the new WiFi Pineapple!

• Upvote 1

What battery would that be Boosted240?

It's the battery from my Raspple Pi setup:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xzisd141ij4wew/DSC04681.JPG?dl=0

Intocircuit PC26000 High Capacity Power Castle 26000mAh Portable Power Bank Charger External Battery Pack for Smartphones, Tablet and Laptop

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BB5VQCE/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_aVgVwbSTTXXQS

So playing around with the Tetra tonight I noticed some things:

1. I only see the two wlan interfaces (wlan0, wlan0-1, and wlan1), but I noticed when I scan for networks with wlan1 it shows my 5ghz networks. So that got me wondering how all of the 5ghz stuff is setup and how it works with regards to PineAP as well as the other modules.

2. It would be cool to know what configuration would be best if I have two Yagis and two 9dbi antennas which would i want hooked up to which antennas and would it vary for different applications?

3. When I had nano and the tetra hooked up at the same time, I quickly realized it was difficult to tell which one I was on :) It may be nice to have an indicator in the GUI (like the top left Wifi Pineapple) to indicate which hardware it is you're browsing. Especially when the mk5 is updated to the new interface and I have all 3 running :)

4. Using the WiFi Client mode and scanning for networks to connect to while I had PineAP running it offered me to connect to the management interface and all the SSIDs PineAP was broadcasting. These would be nice to filter out because it makes it difficult to pick out the actual wifi networks in the area to connect to. (This applies to the nano as well, don't think I ever noticed it on the mk5 but I'll check again). (tested and mk5 does show PineAP ssids but not the management interface) I would think they could be filtered out based on bssids though right?

5. Confirmed the issue with wifi client mode in relation to the routes and manual ip required in firmware 1.0.0. Confirmed issue was resolved by updating to 1.0.1 (nice fast work Seb!)

6. What do the indicator lights all mean? Any special patterns we need to be aware of?

7. Installing modules I only got the option "Install to internal storage" (expected), On install dependencies for modules I get the option for "Internal" or "SD Card", picking SD Card appears to install them without errors and everything works so not a big deal. Just wanted to mention it as I was confused by the option (but I still picked SD Card just to see what happened lol) Note: Evil Portal didn't give me an option it just installed so maybe its up to the module maker to give the option and tetra just has a fall back to internal no matter what? On the same note I see the get module has an option to enable "Database on SD" I'm guessing the same thing would apply where it would just fall back to internal?

8. Range is impressive! I setup the nano, tetra and mk5 on my desk (the most interference ridden spot in my house) and did recon for 1 minute each and these are the results of detecting the wifi access point furthest away from me in my house.

mk5 (w/ standard antennas and with 9dbi ones) =

listed it as "out of range access point" and didn't detect the currently associated client at all

nano (w/ standard antennas) =

listed it as 30% signal and detected the currently associated client

tetra (w/ standard antennas) =

listed it as 82% signal and detected the currently associated client

plus it picked up 5ghz ones as well :)

It is very snappy compared to mk5 and I guess I can see a difference between the nano and tetra but it would be minimal at most imo.

Also very excited my anker battery is about to power it alone with it's 4.8 A output, But I've had the single Pineapple 1500 i got hooked up to it too during all of this testing and never noticed any issues at all with it in terms of responsiveness or the devices I attached to it !

I have this one too and it's a great battery pack, it's the only one I have that supports passthrough charging too.

Indeed. I use it to power the mkV, and Raspberry Pi 2, each with additional radios. All while being able to charge the battery. I'll probably use it in whatever setup I make for the Tetra.

• Upvote 1

hmmm...for some reason I still don't see the updated Networking module even though bored369 said he was able to update and the problem was fixed.

Nevermind. I just saw the firmware upgrade. Everything works now, thanks!

Edited by sud0nick

hmmm...for some reason I still don't see the updated Networking module even though bored369 said he was able to update and the problem was fixed.

You flashed 1.0.1? I'm actually using it right now connected to my home network via USB radio.

You must have missed my edit. Everything works.

Nope, I had the window open for a good while, never saw the edit.

You'll need to wait until you receive the second juice pack. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience. It's going out tomorrow. You'll receive an automated email from the HakShop with tracking info then.

Darren and all at the Hak5 shop have been awesome as far as the support for both the hardware and the software updates. I'm still feeling no love from the automated shipping update email system though. Checked my spam filters and all that, I did get my notice when the Tetra shipped out, but never received any notice about the delay. Now I've contacted sipping about a second battery since my Tetra shipped with a single unit. Basically I'm trying to make sure I've made contact in the correct manner.

I'm certainly blown away with the Nano compared to my old Mk4, can't wait to fire up my Tetra!

A quick comparison for shiggles. A recon scan of local APs using the MkV, Nano, and Tetra. All in the identical location, on my 2nd story front porch.

The next shot is all three units powered up, with an AP setup. They are all next to each other on one end of the house, and I'm on the other scanning with my Nexus 6p.

Okay the forum killed the attachments. So I threw them in the folder with my Tetra pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0w4my6jspxf1pom/AACV7qRHPlga6w1msBQRTfjDa?dl=0

post-45356-0-48349700-1455320495_thumb.j

post-45356-0-12186400-1455320508_thumb.j

post-45356-0-72479800-1455320514_thumb.j

post-45356-0-18757800-1455322511_thumb.p

Edited by Boosted240

I think you'll all be quite impressed with what we were able to pull off -- not only in range but also speed. 100 Mbps on 5G is easily achievable most places in the warehouse -- so much so that I'm thinking we'll be switching over to a TETRA as our primary AP for the Hak5 offices :)

My house is all ethernet and I don't run WIFI, but it would be convenient for a thing or two. That's an idea for a router, what are your thoughts about using the TETRA as a general purpose router? I wouldn't be the ISP facing router, but one inside just for WIFI clients.

My house is all ethernet and I don't run WIFI, but it would be convenient for a thing or two. That's an idea for a router, what are your thoughts about using the TETRA as a general purpose router? I wouldn't be the ISP facing router, but one inside just for WIFI clients.

If you don't have wireless clients at home I don't think it makes sense - but here at the Hak5 warehouse we have plenty so having both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks is really convenient.

If you don't have wireless clients at home I don't think it makes sense - but here at the Hak5 warehouse we have plenty so having both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks is really convenient.

I wasn't clear - I have a few uses for it (i.e. a few wireless clients which are normally unconnected, but which I wouldn't mind connecting). My question is to how well it would do as a general purpose router? It has the basic facilities like DHCP, but is probably missing features you might see in some routers like DDWRT. Traffic shaping, allow connect times, website filtering ...

Sounds like a good opportunity for some new modules.

Edited by hackattack