General TETRA Discussion

Whistle Master

It also has built in power amplifiers, so I expect we'll see pretty good range on them.

Yeah Darren and Seb have seemingly been very gung-ho on the range on the TETRA. One of the things I'm really looking forward to seeing. Seems like an absolute powerhouse of a device.

Depending on your situation and set-up, ofcourse, but be assured the things a beast.

Yes I figured the usual caveats apply. I live in a suburban area where the houses are close but the streets have some good spacing between them. Terrain is a bit hilly as well which could further cut down on my range. But anything remotely like what you are describing will be very impressive.

I think you'll all be quite impressed with what we were able to pull off -- not only in range but also speed. 100 Mbps on 5G is easily achievable most places in the warehouse -- so much so that I'm thinking we'll be switching over to a TETRA as our primary AP for the Hak5 offices :)

You weren't kidding when you said the TETRA is a beast. I love it!

• Upvote 1

I think my TETRA isn't getting enough power with the Pineapple Juice 15000. I've tried using one and both ports to power it in the EDC but it reboots before it fully boots up. I read through the power notice a few times and I don't think I'm doing anything wrong since it states the max power budget is 18W and I believe using both ports together supplies ~15.2W.

What is the best method for powering the TETRA on the go? Do I have to wait until I get my second battery that Darren mentioned to do this?

• Like 1

I think my TETRA isn't getting enough power with the Pineapple Juice 15000. I've tried using one and both ports to power it in the EDC but it reboots before it fully boots up. I read through the power notice a few times and I don't think I'm doing anything wrong since it states the max power budget is 18W and I believe using both ports together supplies ~15.2W.

What is the best method for powering the TETRA on the go? Do I have to wait until I get my second battery that Darren mentioned to do this?

You'll need to wait until you receive the second juice pack. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience. It's going out tomorrow. You'll receive an automated email from the HakShop with tracking info then.

• Upvote 1

You'll need to wait until you receive the second juice pack. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience. It's going out tomorrow. You'll receive an automated email from the HakShop with tracking info then.

It's cool. I just wasn't sure from how I interpreted the power notice. Thanks for the clarification.

Just for further clarification regarding the batteries. Initially we developed with the single Pineapple Juice 15000 and it was adequate for normal operation. When we enhanced the RF shielding for system stability (the reason for the delay) we had the opportunity to further increase the power, but now it draws 15% more. On the one hand it means the thing is just that much more beastly, but sadly it's the camel that broke the straws back in regards to the Pineapple Juice 15000. The second battery solves this, and we're looking at building a dedicated battery base for the Tetra. I'm still sketching it up but I'm thinking a stackable unit that'll do 24-48 hours operation, possibly user configurable with 18650 lipo cells - so let me know if that's something that interests you guys.

• Upvote 1

That sounds great! I would love to have a solid mobile power solution.

On a different note, I've run across a problem on the TETRA firmware (I may be the only one) where my third NIC doesn't pull an IP and routes are not set up automatically. This is the same NIC I've used on my MKV and NANO (so my lazy self doesn't have to add another MAC to my allow list) and when used on them it works just fine. On the TETRA I have to manually configure an IP address and all appropriate routes to get out to the internet. Has anyone else had this problem? The third NIC is a Panda Wireless PAU06.

Edit:

I just loaded modules and saw the Update button for the Networking module :). I'm sure it's been fixed.

Still having this problem.

Edited by sud0nick

What's the chipset in the Panda?

Edit: Looks like a Ralink RT5372 which uses the rt2800usb driver. That should be baked in. I don't have a Panda handy but I'll check with a similar card that uses the same driver and report back.

Edit2: Works with our RT5370 "nubbin" which uses the same driver...

Edit3: Brought it up with Seb. He made a face, did some typing, and now it's fixed. Update the networking module again :)

• Upvote 1

What's the chipset in the Panda?

Edit: Looks like a Ralink RT5372 which uses the rt2800usb driver. That should be baked in. I don't have a Panda handy but I'll check with a similar card that uses the same driver and report back.

I don't know if it's a driver issue because the NIC works just fine but when I associate to my AP within the Networking module it does everything but pull an IP and set routes. Looking through UCI everything is configured properly and looking through dmesg it appears to have associated just fine. I just can't get out to the internet until I manually configure the IP and routes. Thanks for looking into it.

Edit: Thanks, Darren. I don't see it in the module manager yet so I'll have to check tomorrow. I'll report back though once I update and try it out.

Edited by sud0nick

I tried two USB wifi dongles that each worked on the mkV and Nano, both freeze the Tetra until removed and rebooted. (both Ralink I believe, one is an Alfa)

I don't know if it's a driver issue because the NIC works just fine but when I associate to my AP within the Networking module it does everything but pull an IP and set routes. Looking through UCI everything is configured properly and looking through dmesg it appears to have associated just fine. I just can't get out to the internet until I manually configure the IP and routes. Thanks for looking into it.

Edit: Thanks, Darren. I don't see it in the module manager yet so I'll have to check tomorrow. I'll report back though once I update and try it out.

I have located the issue and will push a firmware upgrade asap.

I tried two USB wifi dongles that each worked on the mkV and Nano, both freeze the Tetra until removed and rebooted. (both Ralink I believe, one is an Alfa)

That sounds like a power draw issue. How are you powering the WiFi Pineapple TETRA?

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Yep, was power. I was using a 2A 5v cell phone charger via micro USB, then I tried a DC plug (the one from the mkV actually, 9v, 1.5A) and both USB radios are working fine now, just the same problem as above.

Edited by Boosted240

Yep, was power. I was using a 2A 5v cell phone charger via micro USB, then I tried a DC plug (the one from the mkV actually, 9v, 1.5A) and both USB radios are working fine now, just the same problem as above.

That's what I thought. Be careful using less than 12V though, this could cause damage to your device!

I have pushed a firmware upgrade taking care of the clientmode issue.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

• Upvote 1

Okay I switched to my 12v, 2A battery. Flashed the firmware, and all is well. Used my Alfa USB to connect to my Asus router via 5ghz. Logged into the Pineapple management AP with my phone I was able to max my Internet connection. (30mbps/5mbps)

• Upvote 1

Tetra arrived today. Anxious to try it out so I plugged in the mini USB USB from the charger to the UART and eventually got a solid blue light. However when I try to navigate to 172.16.42.1:1471 -- nothing. I have an active ethernet link but nothing. When I plug in the barrel cable from the Pineapple Juice 15000 --- nothing -- no lights nothing. Any help appreciated.