Whistle Master

General NANO Discussion

100 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, mda1125 said:

Scenario 1:

You can hook it up to your belt or put it on a table tethered.  Who's to say it's not a Mobile Hotspot?  You can also just connect to the Management AP, have it hidden in a pack or under a jacket, in a pocket, whatever.. and view your Recon from the phone.  See the SSIDs..

Get Site Survey and capture the WPA handshake.  You can easily download and crack that offline..  there's a lot you can do in Recon mode. 

If you scan for Open Wifi. you might be able to get that 3rd radio you can plug into the extra USB on the Pineapple so people who connect, would go thru that Open Wifi.  If not, stay in Recon mode.

If nothing else, it's a real eye-opener to see just how many phones are searching all the time for anything open.  Crazy.

Scenario 2:

If you have an Internet connection (open or your own hotspot) you can grab clients.  Use that for a TCP dump to an SD card or use Evil Portal with a very customized portal for that location.  Maybe a business cafeteria.. create a portal that makes sense if a person is in that place of business and sees that portal.  I mean if I am at Joe's Tax Help and I see a Free Wifi for SouthWest or Facebook.. that's suspicious.  But if you target a specific location, you could use Evil Portal to grab unsuspecting clients that would use Wifi that immediately makes sense to them in that location.

Your custom portal could always use some type of BEEF framework to hook that browser.  You'd need a laptop at that point with some actual IP I would think.  But again, not unusual to see a person with a laptop, cell phone and some funky mobile hotspot.

People are more curious about a box and what's in it than seeing something with small antennas that they assuming is some tech gadget for your cell phone.  I've been asked "what's in the box" more times than anybody cares about a Wifi Pineapple.

Unhide the Access Point and if they ask, tell them it's a mobile hotspot and let them connect!  If they do, you got a client!  If you have internet, you have a hooked client for a while.  If you don't, tell them yeah.. I am getting the same.  I can connect but this thing says "No Internet."  Freaking ATT.

Awesome, thanks for the detailed response. I assumed as much with what I had mentioned but was curious of peoples implementations that went outside the scope of the Pineapple Wifi UI using the actual hardware / antennas for other things.

I didn't think about the 3rd antenna to essentially route traffic to an AP that I was currently connected to, I will have to look up some hardware for that.

The issues and trouble I have had trying to even get a client seem like they are coming from iOS and MacOS. I run this thing in my own home and guests connect to it just fine. However, when trying to use things like SSL Strip, Safari freaks out because of the HSTS protocols and wont even load stuff which makes 95% of all the sites and apps unusable. I saw a topic for MANA and I am installing it now to see if I can get that working.

One big thing that I have learned so far that may help onlookers is that if you are using this at home, chances are your neighbors connections will be stronger and more trusted than that of your PineAP so they will probably not connect. Unless you are able to Deauth them enough to fall back on a public once they have associated with before that you are re-broadcasting, however I have been unsuccessful at that. Best use case I could think of would be out in a public place where no one is at their home/trusted wifi so the chances of them connecting to your AP is much greater, especially when it is throwing up SSID's for the probes their devices are sending out.

Of course, I may be doing something wrong but in my first week of playing with it, thats the conclusion I have came up with so far. Would be great at a grocery store, Hotel, Airport, coffee shop etc. Keep in mind all the legal blah implications that could come with such thing but probably will have better results than trying to get nearby neighbors.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Antenna upgrade of Nano. 

Hi experts, 

I'm looking to upgrade the antenna for my nano, any suggestions on the possible limitation and the supported brand. 

Thanks

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it comes with 3 dbi. you could use 16dbi I think is the max in the US before it is outside regulation.  RP-SMA antennas, very common.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took my Pineapple to an open location.  My point being, the only person who asked said "Oh is that one of those mobile wifi hot-spot things?" 

Indeed... would you like to join? :grin:

Gotta say... Apple phones are the chattiest and most easily susceptible to joining an Open network.  My Google Nexus 5X is rock solid.  It might broadcast occasionally but it refuses to join even open networks I know the Pineapple is broadcasting.

Connected my 802.11N dongle and used that to join the actual Open (but password protected) legitimate network at the location so I passed anybody who connected to me onto the Internet.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The USB-Y cable that comes with the Nano wasn't long enough for my Dell computers.  None of the USBs on this Dell are near each other!

Needless to say, I bought a $10 StyEAST SC321 USB Y cable 2.62ft USB3.0 A female to dual A male extension power enhancer splitter cable

Works perfect!  The 1.2 ft extra USB power easily reached to the other USB on the back and now I can power this from my laptop without having to use the battery as a substitute like I did before.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mda1125 said:

The USB-Y cable that comes with the Nano wasn't long enough for my Dell computers.  None of the USBs on this Dell are near each other!

Needless to say, I bought a $10 StyEAST SC321 USB Y cable 2.62ft USB3.0 A female to dual A male extension power enhancer splitter cable

Works perfect!  The 1.2 ft extra USB power easily reached to the other USB on the back and now I can power this from my laptop without having to use the battery as a substitute like I did before.

Bought an extension today but with now power enhancer...damn it

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi community,

 

Sorry if stupid questions.

 

I'm going to buy a nano and i would like to know if i can launch third parts softwares through the nano.

I mean can i launch a soft like Nessus from my kali machine after i already harvested some clients with the nano? Same question for metasploit console.

Can i use these tools through the nano or i can only use the modules inside the nano?

 

Thanks for your help.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dedsec_Nethunter said:

Hi community,

 

Sorry if stupid questions.

 

I'm going to buy a nano and i would like to know if i can launch third parts softwares through the nano.

I mean can i launch a soft like Nessus from my kali machine after i already harvested some clients with the nano? Same question for metasploit console.

Can i use these tools through the nano or i can only use the modules inside the nano?

 

Thanks for your help.

The Pineapples run a custom version of openwrt so if openwrt can run it then the pineapple can run it.  I highly doubt it will run nessus and metasploit.  There is a meterpreter module for the pineapple though.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2017 at 7:07 PM, sbb said:

Awesome, thanks for the detailed response. I assumed as much with what I had mentioned but was curious of peoples implementations that went outside the scope of the Pineapple Wifi UI using the actual hardware / antennas for other things.

I didn't think about the 3rd antenna to essentially route traffic to an AP that I was currently connected to, I will have to look up some hardware for that.

The issues and trouble I have had trying to even get a client seem like they are coming from iOS and MacOS. I run this thing in my own home and guests connect to it just fine. However, when trying to use things like SSL Strip, Safari freaks out because of the HSTS protocols and wont even load stuff which makes 95% of all the sites and apps unusable. I saw a topic for MANA and I am installing it now to see if I can get that working.

One big thing that I have learned so far that may help onlookers is that if you are using this at home, chances are your neighbors connections will be stronger and more trusted than that of your PineAP so they will probably not connect. Unless you are able to Deauth them enough to fall back on a public once they have associated with before that you are re-broadcasting, however I have been unsuccessful at that. Best use case I could think of would be out in a public place where no one is at their home/trusted wifi so the chances of them connecting to your AP is much greater, especially when it is throwing up SSID's for the probes their devices are sending out.

Of course, I may be doing something wrong but in my first week of playing with it, thats the conclusion I have came up with so far. Would be great at a grocery store, Hotel, Airport, coffee shop etc. Keep in mind all the legal blah implications that could come with such thing but probably will have better results than trying to get nearby neighbors.

When I first started, I started a thread as sort of my own way of tracking information I found useful. I've taken many breaks from the pineapple but I keep coming back. I haven't posted to the thread lately but please feel free to use it for the same. I hope this helps you.

https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/38165-new-to-the-nano-new-to-kalilinuxcli-new-to-pentestingsec-auditingtroublemaking-i-am-so-here-are-some-links/

On 4/20/2017 at 6:45 PM, khanbari said:

Antenna upgrade of Nano. 

Hi experts, 

I'm looking to upgrade the antenna for my nano, any suggestions on the possible limitation and the supported brand. 

Thanks

The panel antenna's are fantastic for 'soaking up the landscape' as another poster said.  The stock antenna are fantastic because they're essentially a bubble of wifi. Anything taller/more will start to strengthen but flatten out the signal requiring slight forthought into your positioning and possible targets.  Good luck!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, b0N3z said:

The Pineapples run a custom version of openwrt so if openwrt can run it then the pineapple can run it.  I highly doubt it will run nessus and metasploit.  There is a meterpreter module for the pineapple though.  

Thank you b0N3z,it's more clear now for me :)

Kind regards.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Dedsec_Nethunter said:

Hi community,

 

Sorry if stupid questions.

 

I'm going to buy a nano and i would like to know if i can launch third parts softwares through the nano.

I mean can i launch a soft like Nessus from my kali machine after i already harvested some clients with the nano? Same question for metasploit console.

Can i use these tools through the nano or i can only use the modules inside the nano?

 

Thanks for your help.

As what b0N3z mention, very unlikely and even if it is possible it will take alot of work to get nessus or metasploit running on a Nano. Even if they can work, the modules should run poorly on a Nano.

An easier solution would be to run the nessus or metasploit on your kali machine and from there target those harvested clients with the following setups:

a) kali is setup as the gateway to Nano. ie Nano connected via usb to kali laptop, kali provides the internet, all harvested client will need to connect to the internet thru you. 

or

b) kali machine connects to the same spoofed AP thru Wifi. From there you are within the same subnet as the other harvested clients. 

Edited by esa
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey all,

I received my nano this week *yay* but now i noticed, that i can´t install modules completely. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... dependencies can´t be installed. got a additional 8GB SD-card (free and formated). anybody an idea? 

cheers

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SD cards are known to cause severe issues to the NANO in the current state. Sadly, the only solution seems to mount a USB as a sdcard

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, how to do? Is this the "normal" way to install more than one module / dependencie?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your nano is already full, you might want to factory reset it on the Configuration/General tab on the pineapple UI. also insert the sd card and format it using the pineapple UI on advanced/usb page. This formats correctly and enables a swap on the sd.

I am maybe lucky but I haven’t experienced much issue with my nano using its SD card. I install everything I can to sd, also I make sure I change the PineAP log location to /sd/ to stop my nano filling up on longer operations.

Hope this helps.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good idea :) thx! I tried to handle the nano via mobile only till now - there I noticed that I can´t remove SSIDs, install modules completely or remove them etc..

result "trying it via mobile (S7)"

I formated the sd and tried a brand new sd card as well (incl. formating with as you described). The SD is shown as found with free space. After trying to install modules - the systems tells me modules are not installed completely but free space is getting less.

Now I try it via PC. hope this works better. Lol - maybe you are lucky or I am good in finding issues ;) 

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need help with my Nano, I performed a hard reset and it is now un-pingable.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried doing it again? 

The reset might have interrupted during the process. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

i just did it for the third time. This time holding down the reset for 15 seconds

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me on this. Driving me crazy!!!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I would check for details how the hard reset should be done best and do it slowly step by step - sounds stupid but sometimes it helps. If this doesn´t work maybe you have to check for firmware-reset?

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/05/2017 at 1:41 PM, esa said:

As what b0N3z mention, very unlikely and even if it is possible it will take alot of work to get nessus or metasploit running on a Nano. Even if they can work, the modules should run poorly on a Nano.

An easier solution would be to run the nessus or metasploit on your kali machine and from there target those harvested clients with the following setups:

a) kali is setup as the gateway to Nano. ie Nano connected via usb to kali laptop, kali provides the internet, all harvested client will need to connect to the internet thru you. 

or

b) kali machine connects to the same spoofed AP thru Wifi. From there you are within the same subnet as the other harvested clients. 

Hi esa,

Thanks for sharing your opinion :)

That's exactly what i thought,i'll try option b and let you know guys.

 

Kind regards.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.