General NANO Discussion

Whistle Master

it comes with 3 dbi. you could use 16dbi I think is the max in the US before it is outside regulation.  RP-SMA antennas, very common.  

5 minutes ago, b0N3z said:

it comes with 3 dbi. you could use 16dbi I think is the max in the US before it is outside regulation.  RP-SMA antennas, very common.  

Thanks for the prompt response. 

Just to confirm will the below do? 

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01FY0012M/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_iXt-yb5CY4RD4

Edited by khanbari

I took my Pineapple to an open location.  My point being, the only person who asked said "Oh is that one of those mobile wifi hot-spot things?" 

Indeed... would you like to join? :grin:

Gotta say... Apple phones are the chattiest and most easily susceptible to joining an Open network.  My Google Nexus 5X is rock solid.  It might broadcast occasionally but it refuses to join even open networks I know the Pineapple is broadcasting.

Connected my 802.11N dongle and used that to join the actual Open (but password protected) legitimate network at the location so I passed anybody who connected to me onto the Internet.

The USB-Y cable that comes with the Nano wasn't long enough for my Dell computers.  None of the USBs on this Dell are near each other!

Needless to say, I bought a $10 StyEAST SC321 USB Y cable 2.62ft USB3.0 A female to dual A male extension power enhancer splitter cable

Works perfect!  The 1.2 ft extra USB power easily reached to the other USB on the back and now I can power this from my laptop without having to use the battery as a substitute like I did before.

1 hour ago, mda1125 said:

The USB-Y cable that comes with the Nano wasn't long enough for my Dell computers.  None of the USBs on this Dell are near each other!

Needless to say, I bought a $10 StyEAST SC321 USB Y cable 2.62ft USB3.0 A female to dual A male extension power enhancer splitter cable

Works perfect!  The 1.2 ft extra USB power easily reached to the other USB on the back and now I can power this from my laptop without having to use the battery as a substitute like I did before.

Bought an extension today but with now power enhancer...damn it

• 4 weeks later...

Hi community,

Sorry if stupid questions.

I'm going to buy a nano and i would like to know if i can launch third parts softwares through the nano.

I mean can i launch a soft like Nessus from my kali machine after i already harvested some clients with the nano? Same question for metasploit console.

Can i use these tools through the nano or i can only use the modules inside the nano?

Thanks for your help.

13 minutes ago, Dedsec_Nethunter said:

Hi community,

I'm going to buy a nano and i would like to know if i can launch third parts softwares through the nano.

I mean can i launch a soft like Nessus from my kali machine after i already harvested some clients with the nano? Same question for metasploit console.

Can i use these tools through the nano or i can only use the modules inside the nano?

Thanks for your help.

The Pineapples run a custom version of openwrt so if openwrt can run it then the pineapple can run it.  I highly doubt it will run nessus and metasploit.  There is a meterpreter module for the pineapple though.  

On 4/13/2017 at 7:07 PM, sbb said:

Awesome, thanks for the detailed response. I assumed as much with what I had mentioned but was curious of peoples implementations that went outside the scope of the Pineapple Wifi UI using the actual hardware / antennas for other things.

I didn't think about the 3rd antenna to essentially route traffic to an AP that I was currently connected to, I will have to look up some hardware for that.

The issues and trouble I have had trying to even get a client seem like they are coming from iOS and MacOS. I run this thing in my own home and guests connect to it just fine. However, when trying to use things like SSL Strip, Safari freaks out because of the HSTS protocols and wont even load stuff which makes 95% of all the sites and apps unusable. I saw a topic for MANA and I am installing it now to see if I can get that working.

One big thing that I have learned so far that may help onlookers is that if you are using this at home, chances are your neighbors connections will be stronger and more trusted than that of your PineAP so they will probably not connect. Unless you are able to Deauth them enough to fall back on a public once they have associated with before that you are re-broadcasting, however I have been unsuccessful at that. Best use case I could think of would be out in a public place where no one is at their home/trusted wifi so the chances of them connecting to your AP is much greater, especially when it is throwing up SSID's for the probes their devices are sending out.

Of course, I may be doing something wrong but in my first week of playing with it, thats the conclusion I have came up with so far. Would be great at a grocery store, Hotel, Airport, coffee shop etc. Keep in mind all the legal blah implications that could come with such thing but probably will have better results than trying to get nearby neighbors.

When I first started, I started a thread as sort of my own way of tracking information I found useful. I've taken many breaks from the pineapple but I keep coming back. I haven't posted to the thread lately but please feel free to use it for the same. I hope this helps you.

https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/38165-new-to-the-nano-new-to-kalilinuxcli-new-to-pentestingsec-auditingtroublemaking-i-am-so-here-are-some-links/

On 4/20/2017 at 6:45 PM, khanbari said:

Antenna upgrade of Nano. 

Hi experts, 

I'm looking to upgrade the antenna for my nano, any suggestions on the possible limitation and the supported brand. 

Thanks

The panel antenna's are fantastic for 'soaking up the landscape' as another poster said.  The stock antenna are fantastic because they're essentially a bubble of wifi. Anything taller/more will start to strengthen but flatten out the signal requiring slight forthought into your positioning and possible targets.  Good luck!

9 hours ago, b0N3z said:

The Pineapples run a custom version of openwrt so if openwrt can run it then the pineapple can run it.  I highly doubt it will run nessus and metasploit.  There is a meterpreter module for the pineapple though.  

Thank you b0N3z,it's more clear now for me :)

Kind regards.

10 hours ago, Dedsec_Nethunter said:

Hi community,

Thanks for your help.

As what b0N3z mention, very unlikely and even if it is possible it will take alot of work to get nessus or metasploit running on a Nano. Even if they can work, the modules should run poorly on a Nano.

An easier solution would be to run the nessus or metasploit on your kali machine and from there target those harvested clients with the following setups:

a) kali is setup as the gateway to Nano. ie Nano connected via usb to kali laptop, kali provides the internet, all harvested client will need to connect to the internet thru you. 

or

b) kali machine connects to the same spoofed AP thru Wifi. From there you are within the same subnet as the other harvested clients. 

Edited by esa

If your nano is already full, you might want to factory reset it on the Configuration/General tab on the pineapple UI. also insert the sd card and format it using the pineapple UI on advanced/usb page. This formats correctly and enables a swap on the sd.

I am maybe lucky but I haven’t experienced much issue with my nano using its SD card. I install everything I can to sd, also I make sure I change the PineAP log location to /sd/ to stop my nano filling up on longer operations.

Hope this helps.

good idea :) thx! I tried to handle the nano via mobile only till now - there I noticed that I can´t remove SSIDs, install modules completely or remove them etc..

result "trying it via mobile (S7)"

I formated the sd and tried a brand new sd card as well (incl. formating with as you described). The SD is shown as found with free space. After trying to install modules - the systems tells me modules are not installed completely but free space is getting less.

Now I try it via PC. hope this works better. Lol - maybe you are lucky or I am good in finding issues ;) 

Hey, I would check for details how the hard reset should be done best and do it slowly step by step - sounds stupid but sometimes it helps. If this doesn´t work maybe you have to check for firmware-reset?

On 17/05/2017 at 1:41 PM, esa said:

As what b0N3z mention, very unlikely and even if it is possible it will take alot of work to get nessus or metasploit running on a Nano. Even if they can work, the modules should run poorly on a Nano.

An easier solution would be to run the nessus or metasploit on your kali machine and from there target those harvested clients with the following setups:

a) kali is setup as the gateway to Nano. ie Nano connected via usb to kali laptop, kali provides the internet, all harvested client will need to connect to the internet thru you. 

or

b) kali machine connects to the same spoofed AP thru Wifi. From there you are within the same subnet as the other harvested clients. 

Hi esa,

Thanks for sharing your opinion :)

That's exactly what i thought,i'll try option b and let you know guys.

Kind regards.

• 4 weeks later...