General NANO Discussion

Whistle Master

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am a new fan of NANO. I bought NANO few days ago. But...
When you connect to a PC with NANO machine passed through the upgrade. After the reset LED goes off and does not appear, is off ... no wifi ... even 30min.
if you turn off the power, and I turn, starts wifi, I can connect.
I go to the dashboard Pineapple'a (http://172.16.42.1:1471/), the startup screen GetStart ... one short pressing the button ... LED stops blinking 5-10 min ... nothing. no wifi not connected to the PC, the normal ... in the Communication was to then hold the button for more than 2s ... you guessed it ... but reset by holding down (while holding the LED flashes) and released (led OFF) NANO is dead .... wifi does not work, etc ... when you press the button, LED flashes but then continue is off, and the next disconnected from the power supply. I think the upgrade failed and needs to again execute it but do not know how. Pressed the button for 15 seconds does nothing.

On 8/2/2016 at 5:25 AM, Kefir said:

I am a new fan of NANO. I bought NANO few days ago. But...
When you connect to a PC with NANO machine passed through the upgrade. After the reset LED goes off and does not appear, is off ... no wifi ... even 30min.
if you turn off the power, and I turn, starts wifi, I can connect.
I go to the dashboard Pineapple'a (http://172.16.42.1:1471/), the startup screen GetStart ... one short pressing the button ... LED stops blinking 5-10 min ... nothing. no wifi not connected to the PC, the normal ... in the Communication was to then hold the button for more than 2s ... you guessed it ... but reset by holding down (while holding the LED flashes) and released (led OFF) NANO is dead .... wifi does not work, etc ... when you press the button, LED flashes but then continue is off, and the next disconnected from the power supply. I think the upgrade failed and needs to again execute it but do not know how. Pressed the button for 15 seconds does nothing.

can you give more info on what OS your using and how your connecting

36 minutes ago, tacain said:

I need to open my nano to bore out the antenna holes. Does it just snap together?  Don't want to break the case opening it. Thanks!

Start with the SD card slot, but be careful to not wedge whatever tool you're using inside the actual component. Go around the device edges from there and it will just fall away.

I recommend you look on ebay and get a mobile phone/Tablet repair kit, very cheap and they  contain a good selection of plastic opening tools, ideal for opening the clipped cases of Tablets/phones and Pineapples, most also contain a small set of security slot screwdrivers, an essential bit of kit these days to open such cases without damage.

2 hours ago, artuk said:

I recommend you look on ebay and get a mobile phone/Tablet repair kit, very cheap and they  contain a good selection of plastic opening tools, ideal for opening the clipped cases of Tablets/phones and Pineapples, most also contain a small set of security slot screwdrivers, an essential bit of kit these days to open such cases without damage.

Thanks.  Have all that stuff.  Was really just curious if I was fighting glues or screws...

On 21/03/2016 at 0:29 PM, skib said:

After having played with my new Nano for some days, it seems to be working - at least to start with - and at least without having started any modules.

But after a while (say one hour) it looses connectivity.

The registered "clients" then have no WiFi connectivity. I.e. they are no longer connected through the WiFi Pineapple.

If I then connect a new Client to the WiFi Pineapple, it is detected and listed as a new "client", but it does not have any WiFi connectivity.

The Android App also seem to be an a Beta stage (?)

As to modules - I have posted some comments on some of them - NONE of them seem to be working properly. :-(

Skib

Interesting as I've always had that problem with my Pineapple 5 but having only had my Nano for a couple of days that hasn't been a problem, so far.

Running same laptop, same clients etc etc my Mark 5 clients lose wifi connectivity, even though they are still shown in the clients list and laptop is connected to wifi. ( I am talking about wifi connected via laptop after running wp5/wp6 ) sometimes I need to restart Wlan0 in the PIneapple to reconnect my clients, but occasionally have to reboot the laptop, I would be interested to know if anyone else has this problem with the MK5 PIneapple, but so far am very impressed with the Nano and so much easier to use.

• 4 weeks later...

Confused on the radios.

I understand the WLAN0 is the one opposite the SD card near the female USB port, and WLAN1 is the one closest to the power/male USB port

WLAN0 is the AP/management radio

WLAN1 is the recon, client, etc. 

When connecting a client on WLAN1, it states that "wlan1 will interfere with PineAP." (in Network )

I figured PineAP was on WLAN0?  Is this a typo?

Any chances of supporting WPA2 Enterprise for client connects?

Just got the nano today and after finally turning on pineAP I found something strange. While the pineAP is running it seems to be turning my TV on and off. This is a smart TV Vizio brand. Kind of curious that it is doing this. I am not sure exactly why but if anyone has any idea i'd love to hear your ideas. When turning pineAP off the TV stops turning on and off.

34 minutes ago, leviath said:

Just got the nano today and after finally turning on pineAP I found something strange. While the pineAP is running it seems to be turning my TV on and off. This is a smart TV Vizio brand. Kind of curious that it is doing this. I am not sure exactly why but if anyone has any idea i'd love to hear your ideas. When turning pineAP off the TV stops turning on and off.

Is the TV associating to the PineAP?  Turn off Broadcast SSID Pool, if enabled and see.  

Is odd, and kinda funny, but annoying.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, anode said:

Is the TV associating to the PineAP?  Turn off Broadcast SSID Pool, if enabled and see.  

Is odd, and kinda funny, but annoying.

So update if you are curious. Looks like my TV was attempting to connect to one of my old SSID's. It is now ethernet but I never disabled wireless. I think it may be some type of safety feature built into the TV or a bug that causes it to shutdown when on a unknown/ untrusted network. Reconnected to my current network and have not had the problem.

Just started playing with a nano, have a noob question regarding the automatic startup of PineAP. Once PineAP is started with various options selected, I try to save this as the default configuration, getting the "Autostart configuration saved" reply. Does it mean it should automatically startup on boot (because it does not for me so far)? And if not is there a clean way a part from trying to start in a startup script airmon, karma, pineap, pinjector, etc?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Q: how to get bulletin updates

Running on Windows...my nano is connected and is able to scan. I am able to fill my ssid pool...

What needs to happen to allow my nano to connect with the pineapple home website (not the ip address 172.16.42.1) to receive updates and to download tools. 

2 hours ago, pipe said:

No, this blanket answer is unacceptable.

you see pipe, many of the WINDOWS users on this page are struggling to get bulletin updates(on dashboard) AFTER they have switched their adapter options(like the video you posted shows.) This was also my issue but I have resolved it.

WINDOWS USERS:

If you have failed to get bulletin updates after following and replicating the youtube link, then you need to do some steps first.

First, you must disable sharing in your wifi settings under the network sharing tab. click ok. Once in this disabled configuration, plug in the nano. Return to the window prior and enable network sharing and selecting the pineapple as the adapter in the small drop down menu(like in the video.)  click ok. this  will reset the ip address on the nano so IT IS CRUCIAL TO DO THE WIFI NETWORK SHARING SETTINGS FIRST THEN ADJUST THE NANO PROTOCOLS.

Once all settings are complete, like in the video, reboot the nano by clicking the 'X' in the top corner of the dashboard page. 

• 1 month later...

Its daddys work toy for making sure securty holes are patched by testing them        dont play with daddys toys 

But really   your question can be anwsered in many ways    i recommend watching the pineapple intro videos where it explanes the pineapple and its features   

Basically the pineapple is a mini router with linux on it with the ability to control modules for penatration testing 

I recommend hak5 videos there is so much info in hak 5 vids   new and old     and   the crew always have fun while teaching 

And continue to teach great things. Up to date on the Newest tools gadgets and info , as well as some great hak5 tools of there own  checkout hakshop

If you enjoy them. Check out the other show's there involved with

Welcome to the community 

All my own opinion

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I have the nano all configured and its working as far a picking up networks and clients(tester) phones are connecting but my phone is a samsung S7 with 10 wifi networks saved and none of them seem to show up. Why/how would this be?  How do phones that are much further away pick up the beacon but ones close by do not?

• 2 months later...

I have some questions about taking this out in the field. I have a battery for my nano and an android phone. This phone however doesn't have service or a plan etc, I just use it for some specific Android Apps and Wifi.

I am just looking for some ideas or uses for the nano that I might not be thinking of so I can see its potential and what others are doing.

Here are the two basic ones I can think of:

Scenario 1:

Lets say I was asked to audit a network on a property where I couldn't draw any attention or look like I was up to no good. The only equipment I could have in my hand without looking shady would be a cellphone. I would hook up the Nano to my battery pack, put it in my backpack and then I assume connect to it via the management wifi AP?

Since I can't tether (phone doesn't have a plan) I couldn't use PineAP because then those users that connect wouldn't have internet access and would just disconnect to look elsewhere.

I'm guessing I could run things like Recon or Site Survey to get an idea of devices that may be around and connecting to things they shouldn't be etc.

I could also SSH into the pineapple from my phone and run airodump to try and capture a handshake of the network as well to take offsite and crack if that was the intent.

Scenario 2:

The more traditional route would be going somewhere public, hooking up the pineapple and running PineAP in order to see the beacons being sent out and then re-broadcast to try and get some clients. Once getting clients, what are some things people like to do? Whether its MITM with malicious intent or just having fun and screwing with people, what are some things to do with a connected client?

What types of apps do people use on their laptop or mobile phone in combination with their pineapple to make things easier for them? I have SSH on my phone with Wiggle for finding AP's but I am sure there is so much more.

I guess in short I am just looking for what others have pulled off using their Nano's to see their potential.

I haven't checked to see if there is a pre-sale forum or topic but understanding what people have done would be a good selling point.

Scenario 1:

You can hook it up to your belt or put it on a table tethered.  Who's to say it's not a Mobile Hotspot?  You can also just connect to the Management AP, have it hidden in a pack or under a jacket, in a pocket, whatever.. and view your Recon from the phone.  See the SSIDs..

Get Site Survey and capture the WPA handshake.  You can easily download and crack that offline..  there's a lot you can do in Recon mode. 

If you scan for Open Wifi. you might be able to get that 3rd radio you can plug into the extra USB on the Pineapple so people who connect, would go thru that Open Wifi.  If not, stay in Recon mode.

If nothing else, it's a real eye-opener to see just how many phones are searching all the time for anything open.  Crazy.

Scenario 2:

If you have an Internet connection (open or your own hotspot) you can grab clients.  Use that for a TCP dump to an SD card or use Evil Portal with a very customized portal for that location.  Maybe a business cafeteria.. create a portal that makes sense if a person is in that place of business and sees that portal.  I mean if I am at Joe's Tax Help and I see a Free Wifi for SouthWest or Facebook.. that's suspicious.  But if you target a specific location, you could use Evil Portal to grab unsuspecting clients that would use Wifi that immediately makes sense to them in that location.

Your custom portal could always use some type of BEEF framework to hook that browser.  You'd need a laptop at that point with some actual IP I would think.  But again, not unusual to see a person with a laptop, cell phone and some funky mobile hotspot.

People are more curious about a box and what's in it than seeing something with small antennas that they assuming is some tech gadget for your cell phone.  I've been asked "what's in the box" more times than anybody cares about a Wifi Pineapple.

Unhide the Access Point and if they ask, tell them it's a mobile hotspot and let them connect!  If they do, you got a client!  If you have internet, you have a hooked client for a while.  If you don't, tell them yeah.. I am getting the same.  I can connect but this thing says "No Internet."  Freaking ATT.

12 minutes ago, mda1125 said:

Scenario 1:

You can hook it up to your belt or put it on a table tethered.  Who's to say it's not a Mobile Hotspot?  You can also just connect to the Management AP, have it hidden in a pack or under a jacket, in a pocket, whatever.. and view your Recon from the phone.  See the SSIDs..

Get Site Survey and capture the WPA handshake.  You can easily download and crack that offline..  there's a lot you can do in Recon mode. 

If you scan for Open Wifi. you might be able to get that 3rd radio you can plug into the extra USB on the Pineapple so people who connect, would go thru that Open Wifi.  If not, stay in Recon mode.

If nothing else, it's a real eye-opener to see just how many phones are searching all the time for anything open.  Crazy.

Scenario 2:

If you have an Internet connection (open or your own hotspot) you can grab clients.  Use that for a TCP dump to an SD card or use Evil Portal with a very customized portal for that location.  Maybe a business cafeteria.. create a portal that makes sense if a person is in that place of business and sees that portal.  I mean if I am at Joe's Tax Help and I see a Free Wifi for SouthWest or Facebook.. that's suspicious.  But if you target a specific location, you could use Evil Portal to grab unsuspecting clients that would use Wifi that immediately makes sense to them in that location.

Your custom portal could always use some type of BEEF framework to hook that browser.  You'd need a laptop at that point with some actual IP I would think.  But again, not unusual to see a person with a laptop, cell phone and some funky mobile hotspot.

People are more curious about a box and what's in it than seeing something with small antennas that they assuming is some tech gadget for your cell phone.  I've been asked "what's in the box" more times than anybody cares about a Wifi Pineapple.

Unhide the Access Point and if they ask, tell them it's a mobile hotspot and let them connect!  If they do, you got a client!  If you have internet, you have a hooked client for a while.  If you don't, tell them yeah.. I am getting the same.  I can connect but this thing says "No Internet."  Freaking ATT.

Awesome, thanks for the detailed response. I assumed as much with what I had mentioned but was curious of peoples implementations that went outside the scope of the Pineapple Wifi UI using the actual hardware / antennas for other things.

I didn't think about the 3rd antenna to essentially route traffic to an AP that I was currently connected to, I will have to look up some hardware for that.

The issues and trouble I have had trying to even get a client seem like they are coming from iOS and MacOS. I run this thing in my own home and guests connect to it just fine. However, when trying to use things like SSL Strip, Safari freaks out because of the HSTS protocols and wont even load stuff which makes 95% of all the sites and apps unusable. I saw a topic for MANA and I am installing it now to see if I can get that working.

One big thing that I have learned so far that may help onlookers is that if you are using this at home, chances are your neighbors connections will be stronger and more trusted than that of your PineAP so they will probably not connect. Unless you are able to Deauth them enough to fall back on a public once they have associated with before that you are re-broadcasting, however I have been unsuccessful at that. Best use case I could think of would be out in a public place where no one is at their home/trusted wifi so the chances of them connecting to your AP is much greater, especially when it is throwing up SSID's for the probes their devices are sending out.

Of course, I may be doing something wrong but in my first week of playing with it, thats the conclusion I have came up with so far. Would be great at a grocery store, Hotel, Airport, coffee shop etc. Keep in mind all the legal blah implications that could come with such thing but probably will have better results than trying to get nearby neighbors.