Nano stops working after a few min

Johnmalca

Their support is shit. I emailed them multiple times and they didn't respond.

What do I have to do to get their attention? Refund from paypal? That moment they will probably go loco on emails...

Please forward those email to support@hak5.org and I'll take a look.

they even delete my forum posts

Not as far as I can tell. It looks like some of your posts got merged by moderators into the appropriate threads / sections.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Please forward those email to support@hak5.org and I'll take a look.

Not as far as I can tell. It looks like some of your posts got merged by moderators into the appropriate threads / sections.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

I've just send an email (again). You could also look at this:

Hi there,

I have some problems with the wifi pineapple nano.
-> If I added a few networks to the pool and whitelisted these networks (allow mode) to spoof some networks. If I do a recon a few times, the wifi networks disappear (not visible anymore by other devices)+Recon is stuck on 100%.
I don't know if this is related (I don't want to hijack this thread, if you think I do, send me a PM and I start a new thread and remove my post here).

Details:

-> browser: chrome, firefox and safari.

-> internet connection shared via wifi client mode (which is not recommend I know), but I also tested via usb tethering (Kali in a VM) on mac. Then I tested it on my oneplus one phone with kali on it to share internet via the phone's wifi. I also tested it on a windows computer, same issues.

Which commands do I have to run when this happens (over ssh)?
Here is some output:

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my nano for a week and a half or so, and I am getting the same thing as the OP. It happens when connected via USB to my Win 10, Mac and VM kali machines as well. I haven't troubleshot it too much since I have been busy, but I started to look into it today. I'll factory reset tonight, get a bottle of wine, and take things slow with it to see if I can pin down the issue.

I've had my nano for a week and a half or so, and I am getting the same thing as the OP. It happens when connected via USB to my Win 10, Mac and VM kali machines as well. I haven't troubleshot it too much since I have been busy, but I started to look into it today. I'll factory reset tonight, get a bottle of wine, and take things slow with it to see if I can pin down the issue.

You could also post your syslog and dmesg.

It would help diagnose issues.

Too late for that type of logical nonsense.

I formatted the SD card, factory reset the nano

Did a few tests and didn't have a problem, then I updated the 3 internal modules, reporting, config? and 1 other.

Oddly enough the AP recon works, but the AP and Client gets to 100 and never completes. Though this time I am still able to browse to the dashboard and everything loads like it should, unlike before.

sys log : http://pastebin.com/Ph8AjcLJ

dmesg log : http://pastebin.com/YmaRVbVM

Now everytime I do a AP and Client it can't finish. I turned on PineAP, with all settings on and it finishes the AP and Client scan, but doesn't display any clients. even after reboots.

I tried to turn everything off to see if it makes a difference, but now I'm unable to disable the PineAP Daemon.

Rebooted and now I can't Enable the daemon, it can't finish the AP/client recon, and when I hit save AP settings, it clears all the changes I made.

I think I'll factory reset and try again since this seems too wonky to be normal,

It definitely seems the problem is with the beacon response. One of my original thoughts was maybe the little nano was getting bogged down with too much info/tasks when it was turned on, so I was testing it at bsides a few days ago, and it didn't matter if there was 1 device in range or 50 it seemed.

Is there a way to run a recon scan, start pineap, check in range clients, change setting from command line via ssh? I think that it would be a little easier to test like that instead of the GUI.

It would help if you actually looked at the logs people attach in this thread.

Read the post again, I was not talking to you. I was asking BattZ to include his logs (which he did, thank you BattZ!). This helps Darren and Seb (as well as people who just want to help) find common issues and ultimately solve them.

Being sarcastic is a great way to not get help from the community users in this forum.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I have the exact same problem. I've got a Nano tactical and I link up the Nano with the battery as well as a cable to my MBP. Recon works for bout 5 minutes before it stops reporting any AP's any longer and the nano becomes unresponsive. 

• 5 months later...

Been running solid for the last 2 hours. Currently 189 SSIDs in pool. 28 connected clients... All modules installed to SD card. Running evil portal. Rick rolling my friends =P

I feel like a lot of folks running into issues, are trying to do too much at once. Patience is key. 

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys,

I hate to revive an old thread, but I fear I have encountered the same issues. I am too newb to determine if it is hardware related or software related issues.

Basically, I encounter the same step as Johnmalca encountered - My newly acquired nano dashboard and nano device (solid blue status LED lit) would stay un-responsive 5 minutes into the  PineAP action. I had to always hot disconnect the USB connection from my laptop to bring back the nano,and thus lost everything from the dashboard.

Again, the exact step to reproduce my problem is exactly same as the previous step - (I'll outline for reference)

Additional info, the nano was recently acquired in Dec 2017 and just had it updated with 2.02 firmware.

======================================================================================

Im using a windows 7 laptop with an ethernet connection

The nano is connected to my laptop using the provided dual usb connector into two of my usb3 ports.

It powers on just fine and can log in every time through the 172.16 network through mozilla or chrome

I go to the dashboard and see the bulletins to confirm I have internet access through the nano. No modules running (modules are installed on sd card fyi)

i go to the pine ap tab and have the daemon off and only the first three checkboxes marked (allow assos, and log both)

I go to the recon tab and do some continuous searches of clients and ap's, and have results for multiple networks with clients on a few of them so everything is working as expected so far. I let this run for 5 min on 15 sec continuous to make sure it continues to work and it does

I go back to pine ap tab and switch on the daemon but dont check any more boxes in an attempt to go step by step to narrow down the cause of the problem. Now run the recon scan again for 5 min on 15 sec intervals

All is fine so i go back and check the beacon response and broadcast ssid pool and add one fake ssid in (free wifi) and run the same recon

Recon runs for a few min and the fake ap picks up my phone on the free wifi network, so now we have one client connected. I open the client tab in a new window and verify my phone is now a client. I switch back over to the recon view still running and it is stuck at 100%. I wait a couple min but nothing changes, its still at 100% even though the interval is 15 sec like it was before. The pineapple is now basically hanging or unresponsive or something.

I try going back to the dashboard but now the boxes are blank where the client count and runtime and ssid pool numbers should be

After about a minute now I cannot even switch in between tabs (dash, recon, etc), clicking on them just doesnt work, its now completely frozen. The tabs with the menu (recon, dash etc) is still there but the rest of the page is blank and clicking on anything doesnt work. The pineapple still has the blue light on and the rest of my computer works and is connected to internet just as before.

========================================================================================

The only solution I seem to find was replacement of the device. If that is the case, could I kick start the process. I desperately need a workign device for my education experiment (time sensitive) and I can't afford to lose any time over this matters.

Much appreciated!!!

• 8 months later...

Hey guys, I know its like a year since the thread was last active but I am pretty sure I found the problem.

I too had the exact same problem, but managed to fix it (not sure if its permanent or temporary) without restarting the device and losing data.

You should be able to SSH into the pineapple, when you have logged in issue the following command: /etc/init.d/php5-fpm restart

I found this myself when mine too froze so I logged in through SSH and issued the 'ps' command to find what processes could be causing this issue. Restarting nginx did not do anything (I was expecting that would be the problem because its only the WebUI which is not responding) so I was looking for anything else which could be causing the issue. Turned out to be the process named "php-fpm: master process (/etc/php5-fpm.conf)" so I restarted the service through init.d and it now works, I have not come across the same issue again since.

But if the issue pops up again then just SSH into the pineapple and issue the same command.

I have only had the pineapple for like a week and I am pretty sure I have already found the problem which has been bothering many people, Would of thought Hak5 would put a little effort into this matter and looked into something as little as this, maybe its php5-fpm which needs updating or additional configuration?

Hopefully this helps many of you who have this problem and I also hope Hak5 will look into this seeing they now have a little insight into what could actually be causing this issue.

Intresting, i have had a LOT of problems lately but with the help of USER its been a lot easier to get things done around here. I will test your theory as soon as possible thanks for sharing.

Update: the light is blinking rapidly but there does not seem to be a issue anymore... The only problem i think that is causing mine to die is that once i try to deauth it switches adapters and kills the connection but still that does not explain why my wifi pineapple's lights go dark. Any ideas? Help is appreciated, thank you.

Archived