Darren Kitchen

WiFi Pineapple Primer

20 posts in this topic

In this video I walk through the basics of a the PineAP suite in a mock audit. This video covers:

Linux ICS setup, logging in, Internet connection verification, Recon, Scan results, Unassociated clients, Filters, PineAP, Landing Page, Logging, Clients, Dashboard, Help and some of Advanced.

New UI seems alot faster and responsive, hopefully you will release new MK5 firmware with it soon.

I really like the new UI! Very crisp and easy to read. Just got my Nano today and already love it. Nice work as always, guys!!

@WiFiJuice

Client Mode is the ability to use the secondary wifi card to connect out allowing for an internet connect. Can be found listed in the Help tab under Networking or on the Networking tab of the main web interface for the Nano.

Thanks, Darren. I am going to plop three nanos on a desk with a few well driven students. I will let them watch your primer and then see what happens from there. I will set up a few bogus/safe ap to pentest. I expect that tetra will truly draw some fire. I'll keep you posted,

Thanks, Darren. I am going to plop three nanos on a desk with a few well driven students. I will let them watch your primer and then see what happens from there. I will set up a few bogus/safe ap to pentest. I expect that tetra will truly draw some fire. I'll keep you posted,

You may want to be careful with this. Even if you're using a test ap, unless you set up the filtering as done in the video, you could easily start picking up clients from other networks.

Is it possible to setup Beef Framework and use hook.js in the landing page so everytime they connect there hooked? what exactly does the landing page allow as far as html,css obviously but I mean like JS and other types of code. If so then beef server should be able to run on Kali and then once a client connects they see the landing page click "connect" or whatever you wanna add on the page and then there browser is hooked. This is my first Pineapple so Idk if there was a infusion before that did this but if not once the API Doc Come out I guess we will know exactly whats possible.

Is it possible to setup Beef Framework and use hook.js in the landing page so everytime they connect there hooked? what exactly does the landing page allow as far as html,css obviously but I mean like JS and other types of code. If so then beef server should be able to run on Kali and then once a client connects they see the landing page click "connect" or whatever you wanna add on the page and then there browser is hooked. This is my first Pineapple so Idk if there was a infusion before that did this but if not once the API Doc Come out I guess we will know exactly whats possible.

Exactly. The landing page is hosted in /www/ as index.php and you're welcome to put whatever you like in there. My friend did a demo with a Snorlax gif -- but Beef might be better suited in your case :)

This is exactly what I suspect this is for Iild4d :)

If you get this to work, a quick writeup here on the forums would be much appreciated!

telot

i would love a tutorial about using the active portal.. like how to let the user only see it once and then pass them through to what their actual web request was on click or what have you.. also, if i want to load images or anything else from the sdcard, whats the file path to the sd card and whats the best route for putting things on to the sdcard.

oh and everyday i hit that check for updates button hoping there will be an update, and modules available. so sad.. would love a tutorial on building mods for the nano.. :(

Yesterday I took the pineapple for a test drive.
A couple of friends came over and I turned on the Pine AP just to see if it is usefull in its current state.

I must confess there are some pro's & cons as of now, not yet for public release.

Pro's:

- Pineapple boots fast ( +- 45 secs )

- It is small, so easy to hide

- The gui has been build really well

- The shell just works like a normal linux kernel ( of course, some commands don't work, but hey, this is acceptabel due to its default storage capacity )

Cons:

- There is still a mistery around the modules and how to build them. It would be great if there could be a read up any day soon. I read several people willing to invest their time to build them, including me. The only way thay I could get a good use of the pineapple right now is just to build some bash scripts for example and call them 1 by 1 via SSH.

- Connecting an SD card and mounting it takes some novice experience ( it came to my attention that this will be resolved in the next firmware update )

- Once I am connecting to it by wifi ( the wifi for managing the pine ap under networking tab in the GUI ) it is only connected for a small period of time. After a couple of minutes ( say 10 minutes ) the wifi is still there but it states that there is an authentication failure. I noticed this earlier and if I connect to it via LAN( via the Y cable ) and set it to the exact same wpa2 passphrase again then I can connect again. But, if I am war driving and only connected to it via the wifi then there is no other way to remove the juice and connect to it again for it to restart ( then I need to mount the SD card again.... it takes to much time on a phone ). Then I can connect to it again. I must convess that I am doing a lot of SSH work. Eg.: I do an airmon-ng start wlan0 so I can do an airodump and an MDK3 which I installed on the SD card. Once it is in prom mode, I am still able to connect to it via the wifi but after 10 minutes, I need to reconnect it ( which means rebooting ).

Question:

- Can someone also tell me where which interface is used for ( wlan0, wlan0-1, wlan1 )?

- Will the issue with the wifi also be resolved in the next firmware upgrade and are there release docs for the firmware upgrades ( I would love to read the fix for the bugs )

- Can you please provide us with the ETA of a turt for building/writing modules?

Final word, Great job on the pineapple nano guys, keep up the good work

Question:

- Can someone also tell me where which interface is used for ( wlan0, wlan0-1, wlan1 )?

- Will the issue with the wifi also be resolved in the next firmware upgrade and are there release docs for the firmware upgrades ( I would love to read the fix for the bugs )

- Can you please provide us with the ETA of a turt for building/writing modules?

In general, wlan0 is your master mode interface. This is broadcasting your management AP as well as any of the other SSIDs from the PineAP. wlan1 is monitor mode interface, used for frame injection and sniffing. Then you can either add a third wireless card, or just use the USB for your client mode interface.

Of course, you could really use these in any ways your would want, but this is the recommended setup. For example, if you didn't have a third wireless card and you didn't want to use anything except wireless, you would use wlan1 for your client interface. But you won't have great speeds, and some features of the PineAP require you to not use wlan1 like this.
I don't remember exactly what the other ones are, but I think there was also your usb connection (usb0) and a bridged connection (br0), but I could be wrong on these last two.

As far as that issue goes, I've never had any problems with staying connected indefinitely, but I'll leave this up to a more experienced member to answer.

It is my understanding that the next firmware update will be released today, and Seb has said in a previous post that he will start working on documentation for it afterwards. I'll try and find that post so I can link it.

EDIT: https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/37257-how-should-i-add-modules-to-the-nano/?p=270451

Edited by Fallen Archangel

I cannot setup the wifi pineapple nano in Linux because I am running it in a virtual machine on my MacBook and it does not pick up the USB.

Everything was going great for a while on my Android with the pineapple app. Which is cool because for our work we need to be mobile and discreet anyway.

I successfully downloaded the wifi pineapple app. It worked for a day or so with the nano tethered. Now I cannot enable USB tethering because though I can connect to the Nano there is no internet.

The status for my nano reads

StrausseP (that is the SSID I set up for it)...

Status

Connected, no internet

Signal strength

Excellent

Link speed

65 Mbps

Fequency

2.4GHz

Security

WPA2 PSK

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance

Anyone teaching any good pineapple nano course in June?

I have just started on my wifi pineapple journey and its proving to be very interesting. Quick question, I'm assuming this only works with open networks and devices will always prefer a secured network if it's available, so spoofing a secured AP is pointless. So, I either want to pick up an existing AP with an open network - like a coffee shop or a hotel network or something, or alternatively unassociated clients that would be sending out beacons to connect to any of the (hopefully open) networks in their history. Is the above a correct understanding or am I missing something?

This is correct.  I put the pineapple down for a while because I thought to myself "who the fuck uses open wifi anymore?". Well turns out a lot of people do and I have found that even the most secure people still do.  I showed my sister the nano when I got it and told her about it. The first reaction I got out of her was "I have an iphone you cant get me."  So I proceed to catch her from a bestbuy open wifi AP.  The more I help people with there computers and ask them if they still connect to openwifi alot have said yes