Introducing the WiFi Pineapple TETRA

Darren Kitchen

Hi all -- big news we're super excited to share with you. If you've been following the recent 6th gen WiFi Pineapple developments you may have seen comments about 5 GHz. This has been on our road map for quite some time and man let me tell you it ain't easy. Then again, nothing worth doing ever is, right? Which is why we're excited to introduce our first ever dual-band device (2.4/5 GHz) -- the WiFi Pineapple TETRA!

BrF0DzU.jpg

We're way ahead of schedule on the project and I want to give the forums community the first opportunity to get them in your hands because this ongoing project is made possible by you. Thank you!

Ok - on with the good stuff! :)

The WiFi Pineapple TETRA is the second device in the 6th generation line using the new software platform designed around usability and performance. So far the new modern interface has been very well received on the NANO and we expect the TETRA to continue taking the platform to the next level.

Speaking of which, this is some serious next level hardware. The TETRA incorporates two Atheros dual-band (2.4/5 GHz) 2:2 MIMO radios capable of 802.11 a/b/g/n over a rock solid PCI Express bus directly connected to FOUR integrated skybridge amplifiers. With the included 5 dBi antennas we're right around 29 dBm EIRP -- which is huge. Range is incredible on this WiFi Pineapple.

Under the hood it's a powerhouse. A 533 MHz RISC CPU from Atheros is running the WiFi Pineapple firmware - and it's not only 33% faster than the previous generation but it's based on the MIPS 74K instruction set. Adding to that we have 64 MB of high speed DDR2 32-bit memory and a fast SLC NAND controller with 2 GB of onboard storage -- so there's plenty of space.

Ports are a plenty as we've gone with the classic Mark V style platform housing RJ45 Ethernet (eth0), 12V power, and USB 2.0 Host that'll support our new WiFi Pineapple Connector app on Android. Additionally we've incorporated some really convenient extras, like a built-in FTDI Serial UART over Micro USB -- so a console is never far! Next to that is an onboard Realtek USB Ethernet controller (eth1) over Micro USB so connecting directly to your laptop without Ethernet cables is a breeze!

Furthermore, both the UART and ETH1 Micro USB ports can power the device over the included USB Y cables -- so most modern laptops can power it, as well as our Pineapple Juice 15000 battery included in the Tactical Edition of course :)

This is a major milestone for the project and we can't wait to get them into your hands first. As you know developers are already working on the new 6th gen platform and this is one serious bit of kit that'll be taking advantage of all the new features. We invite you to get in on the ground floor with the TETRA from the HakShop at http://hakshop.com/products/wifi-pineapple-tetra

• Upvote 11

Darren, I just placed the order. Wow, I have been waiting for this for a whole ten or twelve now. Looking forward to see what we can do with this this. This past month must be very exciting for you and the whole Hak5 team. Congratulations!

The link is down??

Scratch that. Order placed. And my Nano just arrived today, haven't even opened it.

Edited by Boosted240

I hope I didn't jump the gun too.

Let's hope that the nano and the tetra get the same amount of support and of course infusions.

They're built on the same 6th generation platform for this reason. It's all very portable and compartmentalized.

Instead of a "Mark VI" being the successor, we split the line into the NANO and TETRA -- but aside from the 5 GHz channels they'll both be running the same software :)

• Upvote 2

I generally try not to be that guy but this time i must.

When the Mark V was released one of the points you, Darren, sold us on was the expansion bay and "future pineapple slices".

So far this makes at least 3 major products released by Hak5 and not a single "Pineapple Slice".

Edited by bytedeez

I generally try not to be that guy but this time i must.

When the Mark V was released one of the points you, Darren, sold us on was the expansion bay and "future pineapple slices".

So far this makes at least 3 major products released by Hak5 and not a single "Pineapple Slice".

That's an absolutely valid point. At the time that we were creating the Mark V we had ambitious goals for the expansion. With the Mark V being the first foray into bespoke hardware I think I was a bit naive at what was actually achievable both practically and economically with the bus. For instance, I wanted a GPS slice - but as it turns out an off the shelf dongle did the job better and at lower cost than I could hope to make. I wanted a bluetooth serial slice - but again an off the shelf HC-05 did the same.

There was a single slice in the form of an HDK. Based on the popular arduino standard, it utilized the bus as a means to spur rapid development. I had hoped that with it we would realize unforeseen potential in this regard. Unfortunately that has yet to come to fruition in a massive way.

I absolutely understand where you're coming from and share in your disappointment. I'm still keen on the concept and I hope that with a "core" we can continue to add expansion options to the platform in a more standardized fashion.

With the "Mark VI" being realized as the TETRA and NANO, we reviewed what worked well and what didn't with the Mark V based on feedback and user testing, then we looked to streamline the experience with a focus on usability and performance. I'm confident that the 6th generation platform will bring innovation to the project -- and I'm sure you'll agree when it's ported to your Mark V -- just unfortunately not in this one particular regard.

• Upvote 1

I believe they'll both be put to good use in the right scenario. Just put in my order for the Tetra too :)

Hmm.... I can imagine a setup using the Tetra + Nano that would replace my current mkV + RPi2 w/kali and two extra radios.

They're built on the same 6th generation platform for this reason. It's all very portable and compartmentalized.

Instead of a "Mark VI" being the successor, we split the line into the NANO and TETRA -- but aside from the 5 GHz channels they'll both be running the same software :)

Thanks Darren, it's comforting to know that both the Nanos and Tetra will be running the same software.

Is the Tetra also in an Evaluation stqge?

Could you give us an ETA on when you might expect to conclude the Evaluation stage for the Nano?

Also, I noticed that the Nano devices are sold out, that was relatively quick. Was that sooner than you expected?

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Darren, it's comforting to know that both the Nanos and Tetra will be running the same software.

Is the Tetra also in an Evaluation stqge?

Could you give us an ETA on when you might expect to conclude the Evaluation stage for the Nano?

Also, I noticed that the Nano devices are sold out, that was relatively quick. Was that sooner than you expected?

Keep up the good work!

Unlike the NANO, the TETRA has passed all certifications and we are just waiting to ship them to customers.

The NANO will be in evaluation phase until mid January, which is when we will get the final certification. In regards to it selling out, this is pretty much what we expected. We'll have more units very soon!

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Just thought of something... You include a USB - micro USB cable with the Nano for setup/tethering with an Android phone. Could you make it an option to choose a USB - USB-C cable? This is what I would need, but I do already have one. I've used a cheap adapter which is fine for power, it was pretty sketchy with data.

Just thought of something... You include a USB - micro USB cable with the Nano for setup/tethering with an Android phone. Could you make it an option to choose a USB - USB-C cable? This is what I would need, but I do already have one. I've used a cheap adapter which is fine for power, it was pretty sketchy with data.

The cable we include with the NANO Tactical bundle is for charging the USB battery only -- we do not provide the tethering cable, sorry.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

The cable we include with the NANO Tactical bundle is for charging the USB battery only -- we do not provide the tethering cable, sorry.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Oh. Well I guess I would know that if I'd opened mine up last night. My mistake then.

The bag that is shown with the Tetra tactical bundle isn't in the Hak shop yet, will you be selling it individually? I was thinking I would swap the Nano into my current setup... But now with Tetra I'm just going to start from scratch. Thinking about a bag this time instead of the hard case.