how to fix ethernet protocol... or is that the problem?

ghostheadx2

I was playing around trying to be able to connect to the wifi pineapple via wifi again, and I screwed up my ethernet by accident. The only adapter I can diagnose that has something wrong is ethernet. Here is my network adapters:

Screenshot%2069_zpskupwp873.png

Here is the error I get when trying to diagnose it:

Screenshot%2070_zpsl9h3uhmu.png

And when I try to fix it as an administrator:

Screenshot%2071_zpsgasvnsna.png

Does anyone know if THIS might work? I am scared of trying it:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware/how-do-i-replace-my-tcpip-protocol-driver/2d5eaf70-bd3e-40ab-ae11-b6c5110ab8df

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299357

How do I get ethernet protocol again, or fix whatever the problem is?

I also tried this in windows cmd prompt:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
Resetting Interface, OK!
Resetting Unicast Address, OK!
Resetting Neighbor, OK!
Resetting Path, OK!
Resetting , failed.
Access is denied.

Resetting , OK!
Restart the computer to complete this action.

Its like I don't have permission, just because of a basic refresh, to fix my own computer.

When you kicked in the command prompt, did it run as admin? Sorry if it's a stupid question - I practically never touch Windows.

Edited by cooper

I ran this cmd:

Ipconfig /all >C:\pingresult.txt

and the ethernet section of this output is this:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 34-E6-D7-81-BE-DF
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b4e2:623:6404:61de%6(Preferred) 
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.97.222(Preferred) 
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 406120151
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1E-10-EB-26-34-E6-D7-81-BE-DF
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet1:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet1
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-56-C0-00-01
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::dcf5:8e1f:fb20:c7b2%4(Preferred) 
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.75.1(Preferred) 
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, December 26, 2015 11:34:00 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 27, 2015 12:04:00 AM
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.75.254
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 50352214

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet8:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-56-C0-00-08
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::ed8b:970b:dc4c:dfa9%13(Preferred) 
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.66.1(Preferred) 
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, December 26, 2015 11:33:45 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 27, 2015 12:03:45 AM
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.66.254
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 268456022
   Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.66.2

I don't get it. You have 3 network adapters configured in Windows, 2 being VMWare devices and one just conjured up from thin air, deceptively called 'ethernet' which doesn't help. It's been assigned a non-existant ip (169.254.x.x) probably because there simply isn't a device in the virtual for this.

Maybe you should describe your desired network setup, and what you configured in VMWare to enable this.

I don't get it. You have 3 network adapters configured in Windows, 2 being VMWare devices and one just conjured up from thin air, deceptively called 'ethernet' which doesn't help. It's been assigned a non-existant ip (169.254.x.x) probably because there simply isn't a device in the virtual for this.

Maybe you should describe your desired network setup, and what you configured in VMWare to enable this.

I believe this is his windows host machine. The two vmware adapters are the default adapters vmware installs. Somehow he killed his physical adapter.

What I'd try is go into device manager and delete the network card, then reboot. Windows should do a device detection check and reinstall the network adapter.

Yes try what barry says it's good advice and yes those vmware adapters most likely aren't related at all to the problem (since yes vmware does install those and it needs them to bridge your internet access to virtual machines)

Otherwise since you don't have a valid IP address maybe something weird is going on with DHCP... Try manually giving yourself a valid IP address and specifying the correct gateway (your routers IP) netmask 255.255.255.0 and DNS set to the same IP as the gateway (or the dns you prefer)

That looks like windows 10, but in the versions of Windows I've used, sometimes for some strange reasons dhcp wouldn't work and give me a valid ip... In those cases not always but often times if you manually configure the IP address it will work. Try that and if it works, then unset the manual IP and see if you get a dhcp assigned IP address. (I'm not saying there's anything really wrong with dhcp on your router, but on the windows end something could be screwing up)

If you've never done it before it's easy (you'll have to find how to get there in win10 though but should be pretty straightforward to find):

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

This simple technique has saved me many times with both ethernet and wifi connections! When it wont give me a valid IP, I tell it which one I want to use :) (just make sure no other devices are using the IP you choose, I like using a high number that I know I'll never have that many devices connected, like 10.0.0.99 or 192.168.1.99 (depending on your gateway ip)

P.S. those auto windows "fixes" are worthless they've never once fixed anything it's a pretend lets look like we know how to fix this and always just say fail when we inevitablely fail to even diagnose the issue let alone fix it! lol :D Well actually it worked for me ONCE when also just disabling and re-enabling the adapter would've also fixed it, since that's all it really did! ha

Edited by AlfAlfa

I managed to fix it by resetting winsock and several networking related configurations using this program called FixWin for windows 10:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/reset-tcp-ip-internet-protocol

After that, I restarted the computer and it let me log in with Windows. I can't get it to show up on Kali Linux 2.0 though but it let me get to the wifi pineapple management in windows at least. I need to get it to connect to ethernet in kali 2.0 and I'm good.

Edited by ghostheadx2