FAA "drone" registry info will be available to the public

sud0nick

According to an article on Forbes the information loaded into the FAA drone registry database will be searchable by the public. Yet another reason to not register your multirotor with the FAA. As many have pointed out, even Darren on Threatwire, if anyone has your registration number they can simply affix it to their multirotor and perform nefarious acts leading the authorities straight to you. It's becoming more obvious by the day just how little thought was put into this program.

Another typical example of the American (and the UK, too) government not having a clue what the heck they are on about, when it comes to 'Cyber Security' (I use this term in the broad sense here).

They're not scared of the average Tom, Dick or Harry being affected by drones, they just don't want their own private lives to be intruded upon by potentially flying data-gatherers, because it's just one more avenue that the everyday guy can use to realise how corrupt everyone above him really is.

There's been remote-controlled aircraft for an age now, but these had wings or a single rotor, meaning they couldn't carry nefarious equipment around. It's only the addition of the 'quad-coptor' that's got everyone's panties in a twist, because suddenly the upper echelon feel threatened by cyber attacks again.

As usual, toffs with no knowledge of what they are talking about gather in a nice leather-clad room to ping glasses over how they can keep the man down, and how they can stop people from spying on them and their rich friends.

I don't believe any of this is remotely enforceable, and I don't think they intend to enforce most of it anyway. It's more a front for the sheepling masses, to make them feel 'safe'. The same masses that understand nothing about how most technology actually works.

Baa.

Edited by haze1434

According to an article on Forbes the information loaded into the FAA drone registry database will be searchable by the public. Yet another reason to not register your multirotor with the FAA. As many have pointed out, even Darren on Threatwire, if anyone has your registration number they can simply affix it to their multirotor and perform nefarious acts leading the authorities straight to you. It's becoming more obvious by the day just how little thought was put into this program.

Surely the same thing could be said about ham radio licensing? The thing is the model aircraft hobby has self policed itself for years but now that any idiot can and will buy a "drone" its became a necessity, back when they were hard to fly and expensive there was no need as numbers were small, much like amateur radio.

Another typical example of the American (and the UK, too) government not having a clue what the heck they are on about, when it comes to 'Cyber Security' (I use this term in the broad sense here).

They're not scared of the average Tom, Dick or Harry being affected by drones, they just don't want their own private lives to be intruded upon by potentially flying data-gatherers, because it's just one more avenue that the everyday guy can use to realise how corrupt everyone above him really is.

There's been remote-controlled aircraft for an age now, but these had wings or a single rotor, meaning they couldn't carry nefarious equipment around. It's only the addition of the 'quad-coptor' that's got everyone's panties in a twist, because suddenly the upper echelon feel threatened by cyber attacks again.

As usual, toffs with no knowledge of what they are talking about gather in a nice leather-clad room to ping glasses over how they can keep the man down, and how they can stop people from spying on them and their rich friends.

I don't believe any of this is remotely enforceable, and I don't think they intend to enforce most of it anyway. It's more a front for the sheepling masses, to make them feel 'safe'. The same masses that understand nothing about how most technology actually works.

Baa.

UK regulation has always been tight, but has been and still is fixed on maxim allowed weight, hight of flight and where you can fly. Don't kid yourself the only thing new to the game is the drop in price, oldboys in their 50 and 60's have been doing this stuff for years. I think licencing is likely in the UK and will be much like Ham radio, fairly simple and self policing. Like if I get on the airways and start spouting shit, then the hams will track me down and grass me up to Ofcom, as they enjoy it. Not to say it will not happen, but a few heavy fines and publicity works.

Surely the same thing could be said about ham radio licensing? The thing is the model aircraft hobby has self policed itself for years but now that any idiot can and will buy a "drone" its became a necessity, back when they were hard to fly and expensive there was no need as numbers were small, much like amateur radio.

It might be easier to track down the source of a signal than to trace a downed multirotor to who actually flew it. I was just giving an example of why this registration process is bad but in reality the FAA has no authority to make laws (or rules) about hobby aircraft. They have overstepped their boundaries and so far they are getting away with it. On top of that they have produced a poor website that has major security flaws. People on reddit /r/multicopter are reporting that they have tried to register and other people's profiles are popping up when they try to log in.

Overall this seems like a money grab because the FAA realized that millions of people are likely to buy multirotors during the Christmas season. They charge $5 per registration and it has to be renewed every 3 years. They may be waiving it until the 20th of January this time around but they won't do that in the future. Seems like an easy way to make a ton of money every 3 years.

• 3 weeks later...

People aren't going to register their mini drones. It's going to be like mandatory health insurance. Nobody bought it. Pot was illegal for a while. Everybody still smoked it. Now it's legal. Well at least where I live. This like the ammunition accountability act. Nobody was going to go to the trouble of engraving a serial number on each bullet and registering each box of ammunition. Well except maybe the company that lobbied for it. It was a crackpot idea. There are like 40,000 new laws on the books every year. It's impossible to read them all. You might have broken some law without even knowing it. Who cares?

In my humble opinion statism is getting out hand in the United States.

Edited by vailixi

• 4 weeks later...

I have been a ham radio operator for a million years now but no one used my call sign in a bad way that would get the FCC running after me with a big fine. I also contacted the globe with my ham radio call sign and been heard all over, and people who are listening could use my call sign to call it there own, but that never happened. I think the same would go with registration numbers for drone flyers and both databases are public on the FAA and on the FCC, don't get worried too much as life is short anyways.

Meanwhile go and enjoy my youtube channel where i have filmed a lot last year with my drone : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9hsEPTAgnYOy_rkkepv68w

If you get enough people together chances are some of them will be criminals. Ham radio doesn't have anywhere near the following that multirotors do. Everyone and their mother is buying a quadcopter because it's a fad and I don't think the same can be said about ham radio which draws the attention of people who are specifically interested in it. The issue is that quadcopters already have this stigma about them from people misusing their toys to spy on others or fly irresponsibly. You don't see too much of that in the ham radio community so there is no need to steal someone else's identity/call sign/registration number/etc. I don't think your comparison carries the weight you think.

Well i sure hope this will calm down as i have invested a lot in the quadcopter and don't want to be a victim of being a scape goat for someone else's mischief. We will see what happens since most long range "disasters" tests of drones will start happening when the weather warms up, so it will be all over the news and they might think it over and try different ways of identifying these UFO/UAS.

... UFO/UAS.

:lol:

I hope it changes too. I've been following this issue since day one and it seems more like a money grab than anything. To me it appears to be a sure way for the FAA to get a few million every three years. I haven't registered and I honestly don't plan on it. Then again I tend to fly in remote locations away from the public. If I were to do it where police could easily find me I would probably break down and register just to avoid the hassle.

Oh, you think this was about criminals? That's so cute...

Absolutely not. Allow me to reference one of my other posts:

I hope it changes too. I've been following this issue since day one and it seems more like a money grab than anything. To me it appears to be a sure way for the FAA to get a few million every three years. I haven't registered and I honestly don't plan on it. Then again I tend to fly in remote locations away from the public. If I were to do it where police could easily find me I would probably break down and register just to avoid the hassle.