No access to my fake AP

The_challanger

You're welcome challanger! :) As for hostapd running automatically at boot, I don't experience that at least I don't think so... Perhaps it's a hidden config somewhere to auto start it, that isn't present for me. For killing a process in a single line, there are many similar ways, here's one:

kill $(ps ax | grep -i hostapd | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}')

it executes:

ps ax | grep -i hostapd | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'

which gives just the pid of the process and passes that to kill.

Also there's pkill which is shorter:

pkill hostapd

Finally unless your "neighbor's" network is open, that isn't going to work. A stored network configuration wont automatically connect to an AP that purports to be exactly the same name and bssid if the security doesn't match. If it's open though yes that can work! Or if you happen to be able to learn the WPA passphrase, you could duplicate the network entirely if it's secured and deauth the client(s) from it and make them switch over to your version of that network :)

Edited by AlfAlfa

• 11 months later...
On 1/24/2016 at 1:29 PM, AlfAlfa said:

Finally unless your "neighbor's" network is open, that isn't going to work. A stored network configuration wont automatically connect to an AP that purports to be exactly the same name and bssid if the security doesn't match. If it's open though yes that can work!

Hi

What does it mean ?

If you have a network named "MyWifi" and has wpa2 password and have another network name "MyWifi" but it was Open, If you power off secured network or deauth clients from it , Clients connect to Open network ?

On 12/29/2016 at 9:44 AM, e.vahdat said:

Hi

What does it mean ?

If you have a network named "MyWifi" and has wpa2 password and have another network name "MyWifi" but it was Open, If you power off secured network or deauth clients from it , Clients connect to Open network ?

In theory, yes. Most operating systems will automatically connect to saved AP's, but on windows, linux(and android I believe) you can change the settings to not automatically connect to a saved AP. The reason the pineapple works so well, is because of the issue with probes for known networks by most operating systems. however, I'm not 100% sure all OS's will drop from WPA2 to open networks automatically if expecting WPA2 in their saved settings, but from what I understand most iPhones will downgrade and some others, which is why it's best to store the AP, but not automatically connect to know AP's automatically. On my windows machine, I have the passwords stored, but set to manually connect.