Multiple Boot Partitioning Scheme: NEED YOUR INPUT!

ScriptSo

Gr33tingz 3@rthl!ngz !

So, I got a hamidown laptop, nothing special... but I wanted to have a multiboot system. I was going down the list of what I want to start with and fair warning, sadly (Or noobishly?) I been a windows user like.... well until six monts ago, Though in a very nerd like fashion, computers being my life, I have digged in and learned my way around a terminal like a champ but I have a way to got ... SO!

This PC has.... sigh... 2gbs of ram (will have for in three day... still pretty emberassing lol). 250GB og memory. Im here to ask all you technolist... lust? If I where to Start a bootable repetuar on this heap of..

Windows 7 (Or 8, but seems more stable for the wares im pushing)

Ubuntu

Kali

CAN SOME ONE PLEASE! Propose some partitioning Schemes.

NO, I dont do REALLy havy dude like Video editing, and lets be serious, couldnt even If I wanted to lol. Id use this more as a swiss armyknife for Web Dev Work (not using TOO fancy local dev progz (I LOVE ATOM!!.. adobe can suk it)). Day to day business use and my sharpest knif... Pen Testing .

There you have it... PC SPECS, desired OSs' and my purpose for this SSH-INE!!!!!!

Appreciarte any suggestions,

-ScriptSo

Although I like the combination of OS-ses you choose (windows for the windows stuff, Ubuntu as your 'basic' Linux OS and Kali for the fun stuff) it might be a little difficult to get it all to work, partitioning wise and bootloader wise. How about you make it a little easier:

Make your laptop dual boot Windows and Ubuntu. There are some very easy to follow manuals on this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

including suggestions for partitioning (I would choose the option 'install Ubuntu after windows').

Then install kali on an usb stick (persistent option) Enough manuals about that too:

http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kali-linux-live-usb-install

That way you don't have too mess with a lot of partitions on your hard drive. Another option would be to have a Kali virtual machine but a then 4gb RAM would be a bit modest ;)

Edited by Guest

Since you're still playing, I would suggest you start by installing VM software like VirtualBox and try your hand at the various options that way. Once you've decided which OSes are worth while to keep around in multi-boot, assuming the VM approach is somehow too limiting to you, you can see how much storage each OS needs and partition around that and your idea of the disk space you need to actually work the OS.

If you do go multiboot one idea would be to have a FAT32 partition as a storage area for files you want to keep accessible regardless of active OS.

QUICK UPDATE!

So I was able to get all three installed no problem! yay for me... what Im noticing though is that compared to when I run Kali on USB live, the installed boot is ... laggy? Yes, I installed all /"w.e" under one. Im guessing I need to add a swp partition?

QUESTION?! Should't Running Kali live be as smooth as when Installed? food for though...

@cooper: For sure man, like mentioned, Im new to the world of linux but I find ubuntu a bit blah (no flame plez, just imo)... guess Ill have to keep playing with it to really have a solid opinion but trying it out first wouldn't have been a bad Idea.... oh and the side FAT32 partition to keep os SMART! Going to have to set that up soon. side note, I dig your' quote, a kindred spirit but that why I decided to join H5 community finally.

USB will be slower than natively to the HDD. Live only loads in RAM, so is as fast as you have room for to run it in. Native install to HDD would be best, but if USB is your mode of use, it will always be slower. a USB 3.0 with a high speed USB stick or SDHC card would be better, but usb 2.0, even with a fast card, will be slow. If you configured a swap on USB, would probably be even slower. Best bet is a RAM-Disk for swap when using persistent USB installs, will feel much snappier.\

​http://www.jamescoyle.net/how-to/943-create-a-ram-disk-in-linux

If you already have Windows installed just download Wubi and setup Ubuntu on that. If you are setting this all up for the first time, select any Linux as your Virtualbox host then install, Windows, Ubuntu, and Kali as virtual machines. Having the VMs is also an added layer of secuirty.

As Digip states. the live OS runs from mainly memory, meaning that its performance is similar to that of an SSD. If you installed to a spinning rust drive, initial access to programs is going to be slower. Once it's in the cache, it will be equally swift.

One thing though is that now that you've installed to a harddisk, you should have more spare memory since there's not a big tmpfs active to keep the OS itself afloat.