Question about planting a Lan Turtle correctly

V3RT!90
Go to solution Solved by telot,

I got my Lan Turtle yesterday, i already got the lan turtle accessable from everywhere via SSH and a cloud server.

I noticed when i plug in the lan turtle with the ethernet cable already in it, it wont connect. Im not able to SSH in the turtle through the cloud, it says connection refused.

But when i plug in the turtle first and wait till the orange light stops blinking and plug in the ethernet cable, it all works fine! Is this normal?

One more question;

Sometimes after a reboot im not able to connect to the turtle, it also says connection refused! Any solution for this?

Thanks,

V3RT!90

That doesn't sound right, I plugged mine into an ethernet cable, and then into a computer and it worked fine. Do you mean you plugged it into an ethernet cable and expected it to boot up without a power source? Fast Ethernet does not transmit enough power to power a device unless it is specifically POE. The turtle gets it's power from the USB side. If you do want to power it without connecting to a computer, hook it up to a usb battery pack. Perhaps you are experiencing some kind of MAC address filtering?

IDK it could be a couple of things. Could you elaborate?

Edited by overwraith

No i dont expect it to boot without a power source.

I plug it in my Raspberry pi 2 with ubuntu mate.

It doesnt always boot when i first plugin the ethernet cable in the turtle and then plug it in my raspberry

It works when i plugin the turtle in the raspberry first and wait till the led light stops blink and then plugin the ethernet cable.

• Solution

The R-pi has a notoriously low amperage output on the (shared with the onboard ethernet) USB hub. Try plugging it into a proper (500ma - 2.1a) usb AC adapter (like the one that came with your smart phone) and see if you still see that behavior.

telot

• 10 months later...

Has anyone found a cure to this problem? I am experiencing this too. If i plug my turtle into computer with Ethernet cable attached it wont autossh. I have to plug it in, wait for the orange light to stop blinking then attach Ethernet cable. Also can anyone explain the settings from autossh config file:

option gatetime '0'
        option monitorport '20000'
        option poll '600'

much appreciated, kanalia