[UPDATED] Pyrit WPA cracker back on track.

JPaulMora

Version 0.5.0 is out! go ahead and grab a copy! Added CUDA and OpenCL switch in config plus now you can run pyrit completely on GPU!

Note: if you have used pyrit previously, delete/backup your config file at ~/.pyrit/config as the program must recreate it.

It might be worth investing a little of your time into writing up the history of the project. How the original was abandoned and what you've since done to make it a viable codebase once more?

Has there been any work done on the cluster performance?

My testing with 2 machines...

Labtop nvidia + intel i7 15000pmks

Desktop nvidia + amd 1090t. 20000pmks

During the network cluster testing pyrit provides, I only achieved 25000pmks...

Did not sufice, so with some math and the supa wpa wordlist I split into proper portions based on percentage in speed difference...

I would say this is the most important feature...a pyrit cluster!

Isn't this still just brute forcing using rainbow tables or GPU based hardware like hashcat unless I'm reading it wrong?

Yes, ATM there hasn't been discovered any 'universal' weakness to WPA/WPA2 other than bruteforcing the PSK. So as Cooper mentioned, this is just a specialized version of a GPU+CPU cracker with the advantage of storing whatever you have already computed.

Has there been any work done on the cluster performance?

My testing with 2 machines...

Labtop nvidia + intel i7 15000pmks

Desktop nvidia + amd 1090t. 20000pmks

During the network cluster testing pyrit provides, I only achieved 25000pmks...

Did not sufice, so with some math and the supa wpa wordlist I split into proper portions based on percentage in speed difference...

I would say this is the most important feature...a pyrit cluster!

I agree that clustering is a very important feature, based on my testing and your tested speeds, I would recommend a wired network. WiFi is simply not fit for the task when it comes to transferring GBs of data really fast, even having one of those 12MB/s WiFi routers, this is pretty slow when you need to transfer huge wordlists back and forth over LAN. I might add a tutorial on the GitHub wiki referring to this topic.

had to jump through a few hoops to get the old version to install with ati graphics card on kali 1.1 ..will this bork my install?

followed the blackmore ops install tutorial to get it to work previously.

not really, Pyrit's modular nature lets you update either side of the code wether its a GPU module or the main module. so other than a warning about different module versions, rebuilding Pyrit's core should get you updated (as the GPU modules haven't been updated).