IP Cam 90 Day Overwrite

G-Stress

Hey guys, I recently setup some IP Cam's using an ASUS RT-AC56R Router and I must say I absolutely LOVE these newer AC Asus router's with all their features including built in PPTP VPN Server!

However I have a few camera's that upload motion detection via FTP to a USB drive plugged into this Router. What I'm wanting is a program that can monitor say this drive or specific folder's on the drive to automatically delete or overwrite the files after 90 days. I'm sure I can find a script to do this online, but something with a nice gui would be awesome!

Also I will have to say anyone reading this curious about purchasing/upgrading a router I deal with a variety on a daily basis and I must say this ASUS AC series alone is by far one of the best off the shelf consumer grade router's to date based off the feature's it provides. I merely purchased it strictly for the built in VPN Server, but all the other feature's are a bonus :) My only complaint is that the VPN server has a 10 user connection limit max.

How do the IP Cams get their image data onto the FTP? Are they streaming a video file or uploading an image when the picture has changed enough?

In case of the latter, a bit of shell scripting should be all you need:

At (arbitrary time but once per day) move the images from the "today" folder in a newly created "<date_for_today>" folder. Next, force-removed (so you don't see an error when the folder doesn't exist) the "<date_for_90_days_ago>" folder.

Off topic, but I have two asus routers that do the 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac and I absolutly love them. If I didn;t have them, I wouldn't have had internet at my mothers house since I used them to bridge me end to end at the hosue over wifi. I had other routers, but they all had like dial up speeds over wifi, and with the two in AC mode, I was etting 250-350mbits over wifi, and 50mbps down internet speeds. only complaint on them I had was stability, but I think that was more my location and not able to move the main router far from the modem to try and spread the wifi better. I also like that they have dual wan, so if you have another provider, you can do fail over, but seriously, who has that at home. Small businesses woudl benefit though with something like this, and they are really fast for the money.

@ Cooper, these camera's have an option inside to upload video via FTP or HTTP. I basically have a FTP login saved inside the camera's config and it uploads video on motion detection. The router has a built in FTP server Samba Share, etc. option and I have a 1TB WD Passport pocket drive plugged into the USB 3.0 port where the video's are saved. It works amazingly well! As far as the shell scripting, (I'm not a developer at all) I can understand scripts a bit though. I found a few online and it seems like quite a bit of code for such a simple task. Is there not an app with a nice gui to do this? Perhaps maybe even the windows task scheduler which I have actually never messed with. Think I'll play with that a bit today.

@ digip are you and your mother neighbor's? You said you bridged them end to end? If that was the case I would say bury you a cat5 in conduit from house to house to have a physical connection. You are so right though I absolutely love these serious of ASUS! They really are on point for the advanced and expert tech.

@ digip are you and your mother neighbor's? You said you bridged them end to end? If that was the case I would say bury you a cat5 in conduit from house to house to have a physical connection. You are so right though I absolutely love these serious of ASUS! They really are on point for the advanced and expert tech.

Unfortunately, no. We were living with family for the past year to save money for our new house, which we just moved into this week. My mothers setup was a modem at the dining room upstairs back of house, while we were in the lower bedroom, opposite end, front of the house, which I had the two outers bridged over wifi so we could get online. We manged to get by like that for the past year, but only after I upgraded both routers to the Asus ones. I had one Asus originally, and she had an older linksys/cisco one that was really horrid on speed in bridged mode. With the two connected over 802.11 AC usign both Asus routers, we had great speeds and better througput, and could watch netflix on the TV, while I also gamed BF4 over wifi at the same time, which is to say, really good for wifi considering how much bandwidth the whole house was consuming. With 9 people living there only one machine was wired(my mothers next to the modem), and the rest of the house, phones, computers and TV's were all wifi, so it served us well, even if we did have the daily interrupts in service.