SSH: Connection Refused

yabasoya

I've had a good time playing around with this until today...

I've been getting a lot of dialogue all over the screen lately when going in and out of menus. I didn't know if it was because of my playing around in areas that I wasn't familiar with, so I decided to factory restore using turtle-2-factory.bin. I set up the new password through USB. I downloaded all of the modules. I plugged it back on the lan (DHCP address reservation). I try to putty into it and now I get Connection Refused from the Ethernet side. No problem with SSH on the USB side. As a matter of fact, I can SSH to the Ethernet IP Address when connected through USB. Next part of my troubleshooting. I setup autossh to SSH to my VPS. It appears to connect. If I try to SSH to the turtle using ssh root@localhost -p 2222, I get Connection Refused again.

This all worked properly until I reflashed. Perhaps I have some residual keys somewhere?

Pineapple or turtle? Which product are you trying to get assistance on?

http://lanturtle.com/

https://www.wifipineapple.com/

Those links have info. I have no idea which product you need help with.

Was my response really that confusing?

Let me explain..

With the pineapple I am able to factory reset it when I mess things up. Things are back to normal after I do that. I was asking if the factory reset for the lan turtle worked similarly to the pineapple. Darren posted somewhere that you can unscrew it, hold the button, then reflash it. I don't know if that was just for bricked lan turtles. I just assumed that if I flashed the lan turtle with turtle-2-factory.bin, it would reset it to factory, erasing my mistakes. Like reinstalling Windows when someone messes it up. I had SSH access when I first got it. I had SSH access before I flashed it. I flashed it. Now I don't have SSH access. Also, no SSH access from a laptop that never connected to the lan turtle, so there should not be any key mismatch or known hosts issue.

I cannot SSH to my lan turtle directly through my LAN anymore. Mentioning my VPS was just an additional troubleshooting step.

If you can't reach your turtle when directly connected to your computer, then yes, you may need to factory reset it following the procedure you mention and is described in the lanturtle.com site.

I might add that you can't directly ssh into a vanilla lan turtle from the lan, only from the PC it is plugged into or through some of the reverse/direct shells provided by some additional modules (if you already configured and enabled them on boot)

I might add that you can't directly ssh into a vanilla lan turtle from the lan, only from the PC it is plugged into or through some of the reverse/direct shells provided by some additional modules (if you already configured and enabled them on boot)

I don't know what to say.. I've heard that twice already. I was able to SSH and SCP into my lanturtle. I have the profiles saved in winscp and putty. I have a LAN profile and a USB profile. The lan turtle is plugged into my switch in the basement so I'm not using the USB profile.

Barry is correct. We just tested it on my turtle. You are unable to directly connect to the turtle over SSH. If you have the turtle setup to auto ssh to your VPS, you will need to have the VPS configured to forward the connections to the already active SSH that is connected.

I apologize for my confusion in the earlier posts. Between travel and general lack of sleep all the dots weren't connected.

• 2 years later...

i have same problem here

my have laptop and turtle connecting on the same network.

I had installed ssh server on my laptop, and my turtle can copy ssh key to laptop.

The problem is my laptop cant ssh to turtle using command ssh user@localhost -p 2222, it say connection refused

I've tried turn off the firewall but doesnt work, im stuck

Please someone help my problem, thx before

• 1 year later...

Same problem. Brand new turtle. Can't access via ssh on port 22 (according to manual that's default). Seems like some sort of production error ?

Turtle DOESN'T work on 172.16.84.1. It default's to DHCP (I have checked with wireshark). It get's IP assigned but that's it. Can't access it in any way.

How do we fix this ??

• 7 months later...
On 5/3/2019 at 11:13 AM, arikadiusz said:

Right, so you need to connect it to laptop via USB first. Then you can access it via 172.16.84.1. Why can't you just access it via LAN...

My understanding after reading the docs is that by default the Ethernet adapter (eth1) is bridged to the USB adapter (eth0). If the USB adapter isn't connected, neither is the LAN adapter!

More likely though, the SSH server is bound to eth0's address. So it isn't listening for connections on the Ethernet adapter.

Archived