Kali SSH problems

ukdude13

Hi,

I've just bought a LAN Turtle and was itching to start playing with it but I seem to have run into a stumbling block or two. I have an old laptop with Kali v1 on it and a newer laptop with Kali v2.

When I try to ssh into the localhost on Kali v2 I get asked for a password which I enter but I keep getting permission denied. This also happens when I try to ssh into it from my LAN Turtle.

So I thought I would try my old Kali v1 which I thought ssh worked on. However when j do the same on that I just keep getting connect refused even though when I run "service ssh status" it says it's running.

Can someone offer any advice, it's starting to drive me up the wall.

Thanks

Kali 2.0 requires keys, and disables root login without them - https://www.offensive-security.com/kali-linux/top-10-post-install-tips/

This makes SSH more secure and can't be brute forced or logged in with the default root/toor that ships with the distro.

I tried allow root login and that didn't work and I tried to add another user and login to them and that didn't work either. Do I you have to specify which users can be accessed through ssh?

Tells you how to enable it for root users, which is disabled in the settings by default. You could add your keys, or change the settings - https://www.offensive-security.com/kali-linux/top-10-post-install-tips/ :

​​

Add Your SSH Public Key to Kali 2.0

Kali Linux 2.0 takes on the Debian SSH configuration option, the default since Jessie, which disallows root logins without a key.

root@kali:~# grep Root /etc/ssh/sshd_config

PermitRootLogin without-password

The less preferred alternative is to change the PermitRootLogin parameter to “yes” and restart the SSH server, which will allow remote password root logins. For safer remote root SSH access, add your public key to the /root/.ssh/authorized_keys file.