infosec institute

Paper Tiger

Hi All, I was looking for some place to get to pen testing classes - I specifically want to get my CEH but I came across a place called infosec institute (link below) and they have a 10-day pen testings boot camp. They claim they train you up to 5 certs (I only see 4 listed - CEH, CPT, CEPT, and ECSA) that's still a lot regardless. The Test Vouchers are all included as well. That's a large promise, and I'm only able to find reviews from their own site. We all know that can be faked. Has anyone ever heard of them? Are they any good?

I talked to one of the instructors and was told that since I've done some CD key cracking (ollydbg, ida, reading machine language, etc) and built my own linux from scratch I should be good. I've been taking the time to learn as may of the tools in Kali as I can and even setup a xenserver lab and am following along with a syngress book on the basics of pen testing.

Here's the link to the 10 day pen test boot camp -

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/10day_penetration_testing_training.html

Also you the HAk5 crew - I'm in DC and would LOVE to come out to one of your Pen-testing with hak5, but the notification time is too short to get a flight, lodging, and tiem off work (the last is the main issue since I'm in an understaffed HD) - any chance I could get a heads up on when the next one after September will be>? a rough guess is good.

Never heard of em, but just re-certifying for some I let lapsed to go for CEH on way to LPT I got a quote close to $6k for A+/Network+/Security+.

Hoping I can use some of my VA benefits to cover certs while I'm going for my Comp Sci masters.

AfXYpMs.png

Edited by deadlyhabit

Well aware, but it's a matter of getting the VA to pay for it rather than out of pocket.

Getting anything from the VA is like squeezing water from a stone. You're better off just paying for out of pocket. Your time is worth more than dealing with it. Unless you are %100 disabled or something like that.

Any infosec course is better than no course.

70% working on 100% like you said water from a stone, but I've done college etc without touching my GI bill or Chapter 31 (which I'm hoping to pay for certs after dealing with the assholes).

If I can pinch a penny while buying my first house is my mentality.

If you hound them enough then you get what you need and deserve.

Edited by deadlyhabit

Well aware, but it's a matter of getting the VA to pay for it rather than out of pocket.

Like wise - I have my bennies from doing 8 years in the service too. Plus my current employer is going to pay for it. I just want a good place to learn and participate, I have a kid and a woman that don't leave me alone. It would be nice to have pure focus in a learning environment away from people with no work ethics. chances are small but I hope I get a hot teacher! LOL

Getting anything from the VA is like squeezing water from a stone. You're better off just paying for out of pocket. Your time is worth more than dealing with it. Unless you are %100 disabled or something like that.

Any infosec course is better than no course.

No kidding! I was one of the first people "wait listed" before it was a thing (back in 2006) because no one wanted to give me the diagnosis of chronic multi symptom illness (that's code for gulf war syndrome, because no one wants to admit the current Iraqi war vets get it too. The percentage of people returning with GWS is the same as it was from the first war.) I avoid anything federal after my exp in the last 15 years working for the feds. A good rule to have if you like your health, sanity, and living in general is to get a private sector job. The pay is better and you can smoke pot. <I live in DC>
Edited by Paper Tiger

Why pay that much?, you can just pay to sit the exams and save yourself 4k. All the materials are available online.

Int he words of Jello Biafra of the Dead Kennedys "Give me Convenience or give me death!" Not only are they down the street, but I hear-tell Cyber command has used them in the past.

You Rock! Thank you for sharing that super in depth review!

Edited by Paper Tiger