Hacking TASER's?

jaime_lion

So as you may know by my posts on here I don't know much about coding and programming side of computers. I like more of the hardware side of things like installing hard drives and ram or terminating patch panels and keystone jacks.

Any who I have practiced the martial arts for 12 or so years. Mainly focusing on empty hand work cause laws and modern day society tend to make weapons like swords obsolete. Also the fact that life isn't like Hollywood. So I have done my fair amount of research on things like OC aka pepper spray and TASER's.

The TASER is not the same thing as a stun gun, where a stun gun will just shock you in a localized area the TASER shoots out darts that paralyze you for 5 seconds. Its called neuromuscular incapacitation or NMI. There are a few different types of TASER's the M26 the X26 and the X2 and there civilian counter parts. And the C2 the first civilian TASER. The TASER does connect to a computer to download records of when it was shot and how many times and for what duration. One of the reasons that the police swapped from the TASER M26 to X26 and then to the X2 aside from newer tech and smaller units is because the operating systems on the computers became obsolete. The TASER M26 was built to interface with windows 98 machine. The M26 used a serial cable to connect to a computer and the X26 and X2 use a USB cable.

So my question to you all after this brief explanation is, would it be possible to hack a TASER to make it higher volts or more amps etc? Does anyone know of anyone doing research into this?

Thanks

Edited by jaime_lion

No experience in this field at all, but I would expect the device to be designed around the concept of delivering a specific jolt and going (much) over that would fry the device as much as it would your intended victim. In other words, your mod will probably involve replacing a few components on the board within the device. Do note that depending on where you live having one in the first place could be illegal and further weaponizing it might make it more so.

Another thing, I don't think the army/police issue tasers use a different voltage or amperage. They're just more accurate and can have longer wires to their darts. So the bottom line seems to be that you're trying to turn your taser into effectively a very limited range one-shot pistol. Since a single unit costs $300 I'm guessing you'd be cheaper off getting an actual pistol (assuming that is legal where you live).

No experience in this field at all, but I would expect the device to be designed around the concept of delivering a specific jolt and going (much) over that would fry the device as much as it would your intended victim. In other words, your mod will probably involve replacing a few components on the board within the device. Do note that depending on where you live having one in the first place could be illegal and further weaponizing it might make it more so.

Another thing, I don't think the army/police issue tasers use a different voltage or amperage. They're just more accurate and can have longer wires to their darts. So the bottom line seems to be that you're trying to turn your taser into effectively a very limited range one-shot pistol. Since a single unit costs $300 I'm guessing you'd be cheaper off getting an actual pistol (assuming that is legal where you live).

The military and police issue ones just have longer wires they are not more accurate they train for one of the probes missing the target.

Good way to kill someone.

I was putting on my white hat with this thought.

What if someone was able to install malware into the police computers and when the taser was connected to the computer to download the shot time and duration it uploaded upgrades to the taser that would make it more of a deadly weapon the next use? or what if when used it fried the device? Some police departments have to share TASER's. Some have the individual police buy them out of pocket. So if this were possible at the very least it would cost huge ammounts of money in lawsuits or new devices.

The USB hack idea is not a bad one. If the taser has a usb charger It's a possibility that it will be plugged into a computer at some point. Maybe. But if you left a taser in a locker room and you left a flash drive, which do you think would be more likely to be plugged into a computer. IDK. People plug those cheap vapor cigarettes into USB ports on their computers. Those things are known for delivering malware. The taser things is not a bad idea as part of a hack. Hacking the police is a really bad idea though.

But if you make a taser that can deliver malware please share your hack.

The idea of a less lethal weapon is missed if you are upping the voltage. If you want a lethal weapon buy a gun.

Edited by vailixi

My first thought's about this was, as you increase the voltage, the chance that you will get arcing in between the two leads will also increase. Dry air has a break down voltage of about 30kV/cm. If you boost the voltage too much the wires may short out and nothing will make it to the end target. idk if those wires are insulated or not, or how well the insulation can hold up under such high voltage. The wires probably hav ea maximum rating.

Edited by fugu

You can only download the trigger records and calibration as you stated. You would not be able to "increase" voltage because that is all regulated by circuitry and would require modification. If you wanted to modify the software, you most likely would have to JTAG and know what you are doing to even come close.

I have only messed with a couple of them to download the trigger pull records.

The military and police issue ones just have longer wires they are not more accurate they train for one of the probes missing the target.

I was putting on my white hat with this thought.

What if someone was able to install malware into the police computers and when the taser was connected to the computer to download the shot time and duration it uploaded upgrades to the taser that would make it more of a deadly weapon the next use? or what if when used it fried the device? Some police departments have to share TASER's. Some have the individual police buy them out of pocket. So if this were possible at the very least it would cost huge ammounts of money in lawsuits or new devices.

FYI, If a probe misses the target, the system does not work.

You can only download the trigger records and calibration as you stated. You would not be able to "increase" voltage because that is all regulated by circuitry and would require modification. If you wanted to modify the software, you most likely would have to JTAG and know what you are doing to even come close.

I have only messed with a couple of them to download the trigger pull records.

Thanks for the info. So have you worked with TASER's like as a police officer or security? Or like as IT for police and such?

I would be curious on your thoughts on the "TASER's cause heart failure" controversy?

There is no real point stepping up the voltage as most the companies that quote 10,000,000volts or some shit, do so for marketing, any model from Tazer will do the job. If you are really worried about stopping power buy bear mace or get a Springfield XDM as its 19 + 1 and buy hollow points.

There is no real point stepping up the voltage as most the companies that quote 10,000,000volts or some shit, do so for marketing, any model from Tazer will do the job. If you are really worried about stopping power buy bear mace or get a Springfield XDM as its 19 + 1 and buy hollow points.

Having been on the receiving end of both, I'd rather be tazed any day. We had a student who had a canister of bear repellant in his backpack go off in his locker. I think it got punctured on something, anyway, even from inside the locker it fogged the hallway. Sent 11 students to the hospital for asthma attacks. Luckily for him, he got prior permission for it to be in the locker. It was bear season and was already freezing outside, didn't want to take the chance of it getting messed up in his car. They were going hunting after school.

Volts won't do much more if the current isn't increased, for which current is the deadly factor, not how many volts. You can have 1,000 volts running through you and be ok, but the current is the dangerous part, which you usually see danger signs with high voltage because the current in these places is much higher

​

Edited by digip

I know agents that would rather take the OC spray over taser (5 second ride) any day. Also, a little stat on being tased. One in ten lose bowel control when tased.

Woot! Didn't poop my pants when I got tazed! We did all go pee first though.... :cool:

Volts won't do much more if the current isn't increased, for which current is the deadly factor, not how many volts. You can have 1,000 volts running through you and be ok, but the current is the dangerous part, which you usually see danger signs with high voltage because the current in these places is much higher

​

Hopefully this dude never does gun safety videos.

Edited by barry99705

​

LOL! Where did you find this guy? I was crying with laughter here.

The guy seemed genuinely oblivious to what was going on.

Yeah, but he's just running head-long into a brick wall knowing perfectly well what's going to happen. Sure it'll hurt, but just attention whoring of the highest degree. It's sad that crap like that became a thing in the late 90s. Can't believe this dolt actually had some semblance of an acting career. But make no mistake about it, both he and his friends aren't half as dumb as they make themselves out to be. They just do dumb shit because they know it's what people would pay to see.

That other guy seems to genuinely NOT know what he's doing. He's zapped himself more than once as I can tell from the other videos being suggested but he seriously didn't seem to know that what happened was going to happen which made it a lot more funny.

Oh I know I used to be an amateur skater in my teens and knew Bam (as big a douche irl as on his shows and sucks that bad at skating), I made the mistake of thinking a stun gun and cattle prod 2 diff times would be nahhh can't be that bad while drunk. NOPE.

As Ren and Stimpy said, "Don't Wizz on the Electric Fence".

Edited by deadlyhabit

See, that second one is genuinely funny because he's acting all tough and ends up shocking himself. The reaction of his friends is priceless.

LOL! Where did you find this guy? I was crying with laughter here.

The guy seemed genuinely oblivious to what was going on.

His videos are actually educational on the dangers of electricity. Check his profile for more stuff he does, not just electricity related, but his battery demo at a college explains a bit more of the dangers between AC and DC.with respect to volts and current. You can actually touch high voltage DC, so long as it's not over the bodies normal resistance and current is low, while AC is dangerous at pretty much across the board sinc eit bypasses the bodies resistance due to it's signal.

Edited by digip

I'd say in you're in the US, you best stockpile anything perceived as dangerous, as there is a constant push towards regulation. The issue with regulation is its a slippery slope, even something that seems sensible, gets the regulators foot in the door and next thing you know you can't even carry a mutitool as it has a locking blade. This has been shown throughout the world to be true.