Kali 2.0

Ravenrx7

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to understand today is the first day of the 2.0 release, expect slower downloads. Torrents often usually download faster, but only if there are existing seeders.

Ugh my update messed up my existing install after all that time, oh well had stuff backed up anyways. Torrent and fresh install time.

Read the blog post - https://www.kali.org/releases/kali-linux-20-released/

They did mention about possible issues breaking installs if you had custom changes or manually updated files, but not sure if it's related to your install. Not sure if the dist-upgrade works the same on the nethunter downloads though.

​

Yea not sure on Nethunter either as I'm downloading both the Kit-Kat and Lollipop versions for a fresh install tomorrow just in case external wifi cards are still broken on Lollipop.

Saw the warning, figured I'd give it a shot as I had some custom changes and a few manually updated (ie: custom reaver fork for pixiewps attack and some others).

Just sucked waiting so long on my potato-net (thanks Time Warner) for a broken update to start all over.

I'm trying an update in place as well, but it's not too important if it dies. My work laptop will be updated this weekend. I have to pull my windows vm off first, then I'll do a clean install. My dist-upgrade said it was going to have to download 2Gb of files... :rolleyes: Still seeding the torrent, have uploaded 1.4GB in the last 4 hours. Probably up the upload speed overnight.

Yea I backed up my important stuff, as it's a dual boot and was debating testing win 10 on the other as honestly 7 is just basic stuff and seasons of Ghost Adventures to watch downloaded

Gonna do a full Kali 2.0 fresh install then Win 10 and see if it messes up my Kali since I saw some complaints of Win 10 messing up nix partitions.

Well yeah a well seeded torrent tends to run a lot faster, sadly nethunter and pi2 builds aren't on torrents. Have my lappy up on Kali 2.0 already though and impressed. Now for my pi2 and Nexus 7 2013.

That and need to update my live-usb and live dvd and cd that tend to be in my bag.

Edited by deadlyhabit

Yea not sure on Nethunter either as I'm downloading both the Kit-Kat and Lollipop versions for a fresh install tomorrow just in case external wifi cards are still broken on Lollipop.

Saw the warning, figured I'd give it a shot as I had some custom changes and a few manually updated (ie: custom reaver fork for pixiewps attack and some others).

Just sucked waiting so long on my potato-net (thanks Time Warner) for a broken update to start all over.

Just downloaded the torrent, finished really quickly, less then 20 minutes. They were under a DDoS yesterday, so direct downloads were a bit hammered. Also, pixieWPS is installed by default now in 2.0. A clean install is probably the best bet in any case though.

Yea updating myself atm, wondering if updating my Nethunter N7 2013 will be worth the headache and if external wifi drivers are working on it for the Lollipop build as I haven't see anything about it on the official forums.

It's totally worth the update

JUST DO IT!

I wasn't home yesterday when it was released but I installed a torrent client on my phone and it took only 30 minutes to download the vm version (and a few gig out of my bundle)

I've on my 3rd reinstall on Kali on my laptop, and all im getting is a flashing prompt. GRUB not accessible?

UEFI based device? Native or VM install, and what CPU/GPU chipset? if you chose the 64bit, I believe it's meant for AMD systems(will check with them and see) while the 32bit x86 has PAE on for intel machines with more than 4GB memory.

If in a VM using 64bit version, make sure the VM is set to 64bit ubuntu, or you'll have issues installing. Other thoughts, make sure the ISO is not corrupt. Booting fine, one would think it's ok, but just double check the signatures.

edit:

just remembered, for grub setup(install), make sure you don't leave it set to enter device manually - choose the drive!

ie: /dev/sda

Edited by digip

This is a great first review of kali 2.0, point's out a few bugs.

http://samiux.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/review-first-impression-on-kali-linux-20.html

Just did a 2.0 fresh install, didn't experience any of the issues mentioned on their page such as programs not working. Virtual box installs are a bit of a PITA to begin with though, and I think his issues are more on his end, but offsec is putting out a blog post with top 10 post kali 2.0 install tips for people who seem to be having issues, which is probably more related to what they are doing than an issue with kali. Total install was like 10 minutes with no issues starting any apps after logging in, and first thing it did was check packages for updates, which it does now automatically.

just FYI, armitage, is not a kali issue - https://github.com/rsmudge/armitage/issues/184 it's a MSF fix that requires updates to armitage itself. Beef, worked for me by clicking it.although I did haver ice weasal open, it started the tab for me and I logged in beef/beef with no issues. Maltego works for me as well, I just need to register an account.

edit: And they've updated their post on install tips:

https://www.offensive-security.com/kali-linux/top-10-post-install-tips/

Aside from Armitage, I've yet to run into an issue, but then again, I don't use VBox, and use VMware instead. If you want to use VBox, download the pre-made VM's from the Offsec site.

Edited by digip

Oh yea. Dist-upgrade blowed it up completely! :lol:

Yup. They did mention this might happen, especially if your have manually updated/installed tools - https://www.kali.org/releases/kali-linux-20-released/