Watching Defcon and Blackhat briefings

Anonymous123

Keep an eye on YouTube, just don't expect them right away. If it were derbycon then irongeek would have them up the same day though...lol

I'd say at least a week. But just subscribe to the channel and wait for the announcement to pop up.

For the blackhat stuff, keep an eye on IronGeek's Twitter feed as he reports each new video as he puts it up. Quite a few from this years BSides Las Vegas are there already. Why they organise BSidesLV, BlackHat and Defcon so close to eachother I'll never know.

IronGeek has some BSidesLV videos already up on his site.

I'd say at least a week. But just subscribe to the channel and wait for the announcement to pop up.

For the blackhat stuff, keep an eye on IronGeek's Twitter feed as he reports each new video as he puts it up. Quite a few from this years BSides Las Vegas are there already. Why they organise BSidesLV, BlackHat and Defcon so close to eachother I'll never know.

So you can take off a couple weeks and go to them all.

A lot of companies that send employees for training, get them to specific classes only available at these two conferences, and they can do them all in one swoop, back to back. That probably wasn't the intent of them coordinating them to begin with, but think of it as BlackHat, more suit and tie, corporate grown, while Defcon is a bit more all walks of life, anything goes kind of crowd and more laid back and family friendly. It's also an excuse to get a lot of these think tanks and speakers in one place for the largest crowds all at once(although I think Derbycon, as new as they are, is going to be changing that in the long run and more accessible to a larger group across the US due to it's location and family oriented theme).

BSides was also something that originated here as a tangent for speakers who didn't initially get picked for the main conferences, and started spontaneously, which in turn created it's only sub culture of conferences around the world and gives the chance to reach core people in your local areas, which is why there are so many different factions of BSides now happening all the time in different cities. Bsides is also(for most of them that I know of) 100% non-profit, which is more community driven and volunteer based.