General Lan Turtle Discussion

Mr-Protocol

Is the firmware available for download? I let the Turtle do it's initial update and about an hour went by before I decided to pull the power. Sure enough upon rebooting, I cannot SSH into the unit.

I've deduced through browsing the site that recovery mode is available by holding the button down on the board, but I've been prompted with an upload page with no firmware to load.

Is the firmware available for download? I let the Turtle do it's initial update and about an hour went by before I decided to pull the power. Sure enough upon rebooting, I cannot SSH into the unit.

I've deduced through browsing the site that recovery mode is available by holding the button down on the board, but I've been prompted with an upload page with no firmware to load.

What happened? The update process shouldn't take but 5 minutes - if that. When you check for updates, it'll give you 30 seconds to back out (CTRL+C) before downloading the turtle-2.bin file and issuing the sysupgrade command. It'll also kill SSH connection so PuTTY or OpenSSH will drop. You'll know it has finished flashing and started it reboot cycle when the amber LED starts blinking.

If you want to manually update the firmware you can download turtle-2.bin from http://downloads.lanturtle.com/turtle-2.bin then SCP it over to /tmp/ on the Turtle and issue "sysupgrade -v -n /tmp/turtle-2.bin"

What happened? The update process shouldn't take but 5 minutes - if that. When you check for updates, it'll give you 30 seconds to back out (CTRL+C) before downloading the turtle-2.bin file and issuing the sysupgrade command. It'll also kill SSH connection so PuTTY or OpenSSH will drop. You'll know it has finished flashing and started it reboot cycle when the amber LED starts blinking.

If you want to manually update the firmware you can download turtle-2.bin from http://downloads.lanturtle.com/turtle-2.bin then SCP it over to /tmp/ on the Turtle and issue "sysupgrade -v -n /tmp/turtle-2.bin"

I'm not entirely sure. I started the update process and the PuTTY session dropped. I waited about 5 minutes and didn't see any activity from the amber light. I figured it may have been a fluke install and just let it go while I was going about my business. I came back an hour later and still no amber. I tried to SSH back in but no good. I pulled the device out of the USB and it sure enough it wouldn't boot back up or respond to SSH connections.

I'm not entirely sure if it's related, but my router was acting up. I was getting internet to wireless devices, but pages weren't loading completely.

Regardless, I found the firmware download link by poking around on Github and used the recovery function to upload and flash the firmware. All is in working order now!

Thanks for the response! Great device!

• Upvote 1

Are there any europe shops open for the turtle ? if so, link :)

http://edutech-hakshop.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/lan-turtle?variant=3957238661

Stocks expected sometime this month. Hit up user RKiver on this forum for more precise info since he's the one running the shop.

Anyways I ordered from USA. I think it will be cheapper anyways (you can order it with the 8$ ship) Can´t wait to it XD.

It might be, unless it gets stopped by customs at the border. :)

• Upvote 1

I ordered from the Hakshop and it only took 3 days to arrive in the UK (Gloucestershire). It was a bit pricey on the shipping. But I really wanted a Hak5 Mug and sticker pack too :D

Anyway... so far I've run through all 7 of Darren's LanTurtle videos, as well as setting up OpenVPN Server on a linode VPS (as seen in Hak5 a few episodes ago).

I can confirm my LT works flawlessly as per Darren's Tutorials, and I really like the ease of configuration when is comes the setting up RSA Keys, SSHFS & OpenVPN.

The team have really created a cracking little piece of PenTest Tech at a non-premium price.

Hats off.

Cheers.

Edited by 3mrgnc3
  • Upvote 1

Got mine yesterday. It took about 8 days to arrive in the Netherlands. Very happy with it already.

Had to manually add the realtek drivers to Windows7, but after that no problems.

Great tutorials! Looking out for more.

Dmace

Just setting up my new turtle. I created an OpenVpn server in the cloud and now I am trying to configure the openvpn module to connect to it. I have the .ovpn file and I copied its contents into the configuration box but that didn't work. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Denningsrogue I'm EXACTLY in the same spot as you. The next thing I was going to try was going to be adding a startup script to fire off the VPN connection on startup...something like "openvpn --config nameofconfig.ovpn." Please let us know if you figure this out!

So I tried copying the .ovpn to a directory on the turtle (/root/Downloads) and ran the following command --> openvpn --config /root/Downloads/yertle.ovpn. It seemed promising at first and then ended with "Initialization Sequence Completed" and nothing -- no prompt no nothing. Looking at /etc/openvpn/my-vpn.config, it was empty. Don't know where to go from here.

So you can get a connection using the following steps as a stop gap measure

1. ) copy the text from your .ovpn file and paste it into the configuration box in the openvpn module.

2. ) make your way back to the opening page of the turtle gui and exit

3. ) at the command prompt enter the following: /usr/sbin/openvpn --daemon --config /etc/openvpn/my-vpn.conf

I have the autossh module configured so if necessary I can rerun that command if openvpn is stopped for some reason.

I got my LanTurtle recently and experience an issue with "netcat-reverse shell".

Plugged LanTurtle to my Windows 7 machine (IP 172.16.208.160). My Kali2 is running 172.16.208.171.

On Kali, I launch "netcat -l -v -p 8080" and see the message "listening on [any] 8080" message.

On LanTurtle, I go to the "netcat-revshell" module, configure it; "Host: 172.16.208.171 and Port: 8080", submit.

I go back and click "Start", I see "Starting NetCat Reverse Shell to 172.16.208.171:8080". I don't get a connection on Kali.

Both Kali and W7 machines are on the same LAN and I can ping each other. I experience the same issue with meterpreter.

I am not sure which step I am missing.

Thanks.

I got my LanTurtle recently and experience an issue with "netcat-reverse shell".

Plugged LanTurtle to my Windows 7 machine (IP 172.16.208.160). My Kali2 is running 172.16.208.171.

On Kali, I launch "netcat -l -v -p 8080" and see the message "listening on [any] 8080" message.

On LanTurtle, I go to the "netcat-revshell" module, configure it; "Host: 172.16.208.171 and Port: 8080", submit.

I go back and click "Start", I see "Starting NetCat Reverse Shell to 172.16.208.171:8080". I don't get a connection on Kali.

Both Kali and W7 machines are on the same LAN and I can ping each other. I experience the same issue with meterpreter.

I am not sure which step I am missing.

Thanks.

Can the LAN Turtle ping the listening host? If you escape from the Turtle Shell and issue "ping 172.16.208.171" do you get replies?

Thanks Darren for pointing me to the right direction, I am all set now. Even my Windows 7 and Kali were on the same LAN. The Turtle was on a different LAN. Now I changed the settings, the modules work great.

Edited by Rodio

... I started the update process and the PuTTY session dropped. I waited about 5 minutes and didn't see any activity from the amber light. I figured it may have been a fluke install and just let it go while I was going about my business. I came back an hour later and still no amber. I tried to SSH back in but no good. I pulled the device out of the USB and it sure enough it wouldn't boot back up or respond to SSH connections.

Pretty much the exact same thing happened to me. After the upgrade I didnt get the amber light. I gave it a while, not an hour but 20 minutes anyway. Now when I plug it into my laptop, I get a steady green light and the amber comes on for about a second and then goes off.

The device is recognised in dmesg.

[27683.714098] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8152
[27683.714106] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[27683.714110] usb 3-1: Product: USB 10/100 LAN
[27683.714114] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: Realtek
[27683.714117] usb 3-1: SerialNumber: 00E04C36083D
[27683.821966] usb 3-1: reset high-speed USB device number 15 using xhci_hcd
[27683.822044] xhci_hcd 0000:0e:00.0: Setup ERROR: setup context command for slot 1.
[27683.974449] usb 3-1: reset high-speed USB device number 15 using xhci_hcd
[27683.974500] xhci_hcd 0000:0e:00.0: Setup ERROR: setup context command for slot 1.
[27684.127777] usb 3-1: reset high-speed USB device number 15 using xhci_hcd
[27684.142708] xhci_hcd 0000:0e:00.0: xHCI xhci_drop_endpoint called with disabled ep ed061a80
[27684.142717] xhci_hcd 0000:0e:00.0: xHCI xhci_drop_endpoint called with disabled ep ed061aac
[27684.142720] xhci_hcd 0000:0e:00.0: xHCI xhci_drop_endpoint called with disabled ep ed061ad8
[27684.247812] r8152 3-1:1.0 eth0: v1.04.0 (2014/01/15)
[27684.319136] systemd-udevd[15723]: renamed network interface eth0 to enp14s0u1

I don't get an IP although I can see the DHCP requests.

I have assigned the IP 192.168.1.2 to the interface but I cannot ping or access the web interface.

I have tried the unbricking method(dozens of times now actually) and either I am doing something wrong or something is wrong with my device.

The instructions I followed are from the wiki, thus:

1. Download the latest factory image from https://downloads.lanturtle.com/turtle-2-factory.bin
2. Carefully open the LAN Turtle case by removing the two screws underneath the sticker on the bottom
3. While holding the button on the bottom of the LAN Turtle, plug the device into a computer
4. After 3 seconds let go of the button and wait an additional 30 seconds to receive an IP address from the LAN Turtle
5. If you do not receive an IP address in the 192.168.x range from the LAN Turtle within a minute, statically assign the LAN Turtle's interface to 192.168.1.2 (netmask 255.255.255.0)
6. Browse to the LAN Turtle firmware recovery web interface at http://192.168.1.1
7. Follow the on screen prompts to upload and flash the factory image downloaded in step 1
8. When the flash is complete the LAN Turtle will reboot and will be accessible again from 172.16.84.1 with the default username root and password sh3llz

I'm kind of stumped. Any one have any suggestions?