Who is Mr. Robot?

Garda

If it was shit at the start and remained that way nobody would probably have batted an eye, but this... this is just mean. They reel you in with the promise of something nice and then just throw it out of the window while patting themselves on the back over how great they are.

I watch Scorpion for the whole A-Team/MacGyver factor, pure entertainment without an ounce of worrying about reality, while you hit the nail on the head with Mr Robot, it's kind of an SE bait and switch on the show. It was pawned as technical geeky tech show, and is now more crime drama television to me with the occasional tech side no longer taking center stage but instead catering to the mainstream viewers who aren't tech savy with the computer stuff being added bonus and not the main content.

I'm still watching, but not because I expect to see some fancy footwork on the computer and more or less because now I'm invested in watching Elliot unravel into self destructions. My prediction is at some point all of it comes crashing down on him by the end of the series and it becomes more and more soap opera'ish without the hooks of a Korean drama, which makes you care about the characters and get attached, he's kind of the only thing gluing the show together right now cause you want to know wtf is going to happen to this crazy mother trucker.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... And how does that make sense? In 2013 alone over 11000 people died due to gun violence. Even if double-homicides are but 1/10th of that it's still more than 1 such event per day. I'm sure it's a big deal to the people involved and I wouldn't wish such a thing on anybody, but I don't see the logic in basically halting TV programming for a nation-wide network because one prick couldn't handle losing his job so he takes it out on his former co-workers.

.... And how does that make sense? In 2013 alone over 11000 people died due to gun violence. Even if double-homicides are but 1/10th of that it's still more than 1 such event per day. I'm sure it's a big deal to the people involved and I wouldn't wish such a thing on anybody, but I don't see the logic in basically halting TV programming for a nation-wide network because one prick couldn't handle losing his job so he takes it out on his former co-workers.

i think its a way the show can get a bit of free publicity. Bit harsh to everyone involved imho as like cooper said believe it or not these things happen on a daily basis, if we know about it or not they happen sad to say, was just a added factor that they was a TV filming crew in the middle of a live broadcast.

My humble thoughts go out to the friends and familys and everyone that was involved.

But more to the point fucked up for Mr Robot to be poking their noes in and getting some free publicity out of it. im sure the wrights didnt predict this event happening so tbh i dont get it other that for free publicity

USA had this up on IMDB:

Due to an unfortunate parallel to a real-life tragedy today, USA has postponed tonight's "Mr. Robot" season finale to air next week. (Some minor spoilers follow.) The freshman thriller's season finale features a very graphic on-camera shooting. It's not identical to the tragedy this morning in Virginia, where a TV reporter and cameraman were murdered during a live broadcast, but it was close enough that USA understandably decided it was wise to put a bit of distance between the real and fictional events. No one who watched tonight would be thinking about anything else. In a statement, the network said, "The previously filmed season finale of 'Mr. Robot' contains a graphic scene similar in nature to today’s tragic events in Virginia. Out of respect to the victims, their families and colleagues, and our viewers, we are postponing tonight’s episode. Our thoughts go out to all those affected during this difficult time. »

I can live with that, but I want some bloody gore come season finale! Maybe, because the gun was in a popcorn machine, it unlocked the +1 Pop Like A Popcorn ability so that when Tyrell gets shot he explodes and bits and pieces of him are just strewn across the venue. If they do it right they could milk that shot for a good 5 minutes. Add another minute of Elliott trying to walk to the exit over a floor so slippery with blood he nearly trips a few times.

Hey everything else in the series is utter bullshit. Why stop now?

Last episode of the season, and I'd say it's pretty much just soap opera at this point and has been from the start if you look at all the episode's plot stacked up with the outcome. Not saying it's unwatchable, but little to no tech related value, it's more sex, drugs, crime and middle of the road television while they served well to pedal it before released as a tech related vigilante/hacktivism type show, the SE was on us and our own fault for thinking this would be more than Hollywood filler. They just found a new angle to sell their shit on TV, while hitting a niche market, and the chatter created by viewers like us who either love it as an escape or loathe it and watch to rant about it, serves their purpose in either case - ratings and advertising revenue.

I'm still baffled why they pulled the finale for a week. Not the biggest fan of the show but with Hannibal ending and being cancelled, I need something to watch until the new seasons of Vikings and American Horror Story. It may no longer be the techy show from the first few eps but its entertaining.

So today I finally gave in and went and watched the final ep of the season, expecting it to suck rather hard.

And it did. Holy fucking hell did it suck. I can understand a few questions left unanswered at a season finale to slide into the next one, assuming it gets made. But this.... Jeez, this? It felt like watching season 4 episode 8 they left so much out and just put a metric shit-ton of new bullshit in there. It made ZERO sense to me. The only thing even remotely interesting was the R. Budd Dwyer suicide redone (it's on youtube, but it's gnarly - don't say I didn't warn ya), everything else was just fluff.

We're not alone though. Look at the ratings as reported by Wikipedia - after ep 3 they lost A THIRD of their viewing public. The second season was green lit based on what was released for the first ep. I wonder how far they're going to allow the second season to progress knowing where they stand now...

I just can't imagine things improving for season 2. The story has played out and while I'm sure it's possible to write more of it the future world described here isn't going to get fixed any time soon. So we're to watch a group of people who don't know what they're doing or why they're doing it do even more of it and then some because... well, because. Fuck that. I rather watch commercials.

late to the discussion, new to the forum, but id have to go back and check...but i think they even showed Elliot terminating the two correct pairs (orange/green) when he was mounting the pi behind the HVAC panel. I woulda used gel caps though =P panel would probably show an alarm for no ethernet though.

I like the show overall, they are trying their best and its better than most other "hacker" shows. Dont forget this is the hollywood mentality...so they assume that either their audience is either dumb, or lazy, and probably both. If some production company actually hired a content guy that enforced the integrity and continuity of the show, it might fix the ip address hiccups but it would also make the show a bit tedious and over the heads of their intended audience i'd bet, so imi happy with what we have...gives me a chance to talk about stuff i enjoy with others that arent in the business. If they did make it as close to reality as possible, it please us, a small minority, but it would probably flop because they'd have to waste time explaining the content. Remember that movie Primers? They couldnt sell that movie to hollywood because it was too difficult for most of the audiences to understand...but it was a pretty good movie i thought, love that movie. I dont know shit about time travel, but it feels more realistic.

if anything the social engineering aspect of this show is enjoyable...its still fiction guys, im easy to please, and easy to entertain..i dont take it too seriously, just not how im wired. so i like Mr. Robot.

they assume that either their audience is either dumb, or lazy, and probably both.

Have another look at that first episode in the series. Now compare that with something like ep 7 or 10.

They didn't assume their audience to be lazy - they were either told to target that after a few shows or were simply lazy themselves.

Have another look at that first episode in the series. Now compare that with something like ep 7 or 10.

They didn't assume their audience to be lazy - they were either told to target that after a few shows or were simply lazy themselves.

im thinking more of a passive assumption, not an active one. more of a hanlon's razor sorta thing. they are trying to target an already small niche, will they blow it? we'll have to wait and see.

*first language is Spanish* bare with me.. gracias :)

Whatever, the show is not on my top list, not even near but the fact they put a rebel as a hacker in our times(not near future) that is what is the closest thing to reality and what the underground hacking community was in the past, is nice, i'm tired of this fake corporate button down shirt hacker image some people want to give and rip all the cyberpunk and punk/rebel scene out of it.. yes sucks all the anal Sex, the drugs etc... but other than the matrix and other sci-fi shows from the near future, none shows the reality of the hacker ethics and dark future. I like the image because is the image I see when I go to CCC/Hope/Defcon etc etc.. I see a mix of rebels with different points of view and few conventional ones. Hope it gets better in season 2. or hope this breaks the ice for other artist to come out of the dark and start making movies where shows a good rebel hacker that wants to change the world in our time and not in 100 years from now..and that they can use real techniques which nowadays people will not get bored with the real deal like they used to 30 years ago.. so there is hope that MR Robot even if is not that great is the ice breaker..

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to say, season 2, has been a great 180 from season one. Still a drama llama of a show, but the amount of things put into the show for tech people to look for, has been great this season. Last nights episode, seemed a bit slow, but I can see how it setup the back story to answer a few questions. Overall the addition of REAL easter eggs that flow into puzzles you can do after watching the show, has been a great help to keep me watching. Living in NJ, I used to leave near a Washington Township(although its in South Jersey near Turnersville) I had to laugh at the 90's sitcom episode with ALF where the street signs had the IP address of one of their real web site servers. Looking back at season 1, the easter eggs were more of "did you see Esmail on the train" which of course, no one really knew who he was back then, but now, with so many things technically more on point, I find it's been much more interesting, as well as the whole mind fuck Elliot has put on this whole season. The sub reddits have a ton of spoilers and help with finding the easter eggs. If you want a fun challenge though, check out the Mr Robot CTF on Vulnhub.

On 8/15/2016 at 9:01 AM, psydT0ne said:

I see the Rubber Ducky made it into the latest episode :)

Awesome, well done.

makes me wonder if darren was educating them on the USB rubber ducky.

actually the director should use the team of hak5 in a episode, would be fun :grin:

• 2 weeks later...