Who is Mr. Robot?

Garda

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's.... myeah. Guess we'll have to wait and see. This particular snippet basically emphasizes "knowledge is power" where IT was used to get the knowledge. Not quite happy with the explanation about getting the knowledge. It's more specific than most would dare to be, I'll give them that. But if you're hiding in your hoodie in some little nook of a coffee bar, I'd hope at some point someone would walk up and talk to you, if anything to make sure you're not about to rob the place...

Edit: Hookay. So I raised the Jolly Roger and watched the bloody thing. People are raving about it but what I actually like best about it is the music. Very moody, low-key, almost spartan. I was about to write a few paragraphs about what this is about, but reading it I think I'm over-analyzing it so I just removed it again.

Bottom line is that it was sufficiently entertaining to watch this first 1 hour episode without extreme cringing and I'm hoping they can keep that up. The feel I'm getting is mostly identical to that 'hacker movie' Algorithm, but a bit less high and mighty and a noticably bigger budget meaning considerably higher production values. Where Algorithm focusses on the government as the adversary, here it's a huge credit card company which is where people get the link with Fight Club from.

Must watch? Hardly. Could watch? Well, it's better than most of the crap made these days. But being about hacking it's eerily close to home so try not to see yourself as the main protagonist and just enjoy the program.

Edited by Cooper

It was an enjoyable enough show, I liked that it was quite dark, but I don't think the American public will. You also have Christian Slater, who I quite like but his record of cancelled shows paired with its darkness, will likely mean they won't get picked up for a full season.

From the first episode alone its far, far, far better than Scorpion.

Edited by metatron

I thought the trailer was a good teaser. It doesn't necessarily have to be based on reality to be enjoyable either, but I like that it used some terms like the onion router and exit nodes. I don't see it being something Americans would avoid, and the show will probably have a small cult following. I don't have cable or regular TV, so unless it hits netflix or the web in some form, I won't be able to watch it anyways, but would probably sit through an episode or two to see what's what after seeing the trailer. About the only TV show from American TV that the wife and I watch and keep up on, is The Walking Dead. Other than that, we watch mostly documentaries, movies and foreign tv on netflix and hulu. Scorpion will be one I have to look for too now to see what's the deal with it as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the episode, and thought that the most cringe worthy part was when the 'exec', who will end up being the main 'bad guy/antagonist' talks about running KDE. Even that wasn't too bad. The show has entertainment value, it's intriguing, and also strives to be at least partially technically correct. When I first saw the trailer, I was thinking it was going to be "Hackers 2015: The Odyssey Continues". I half expected a scene with the screen being projected on the actor's face. I'm so glad that didn't happen.

I enjoyed Ep.1 it think its a fresh new perspective on hacking / penetration test and the fact that he is not a normal person with a METH addiction is brilliant. I just don't think the world is ready for Terminal yet, i give it One season maybe two tops.

Edited by Bluediamond

Yeah, someone should correct them on the use of IP addresses and how they can't go over 255 for any octet.

Well, what would you prefer them to do?

They can't use a valid IP as there will be people who will try to access that IP to see what, if anything, is there years after the program has run its course. Imagine if the movie Hackers had an actual IP in there. Would you resist the temptation to nmap that thing? Honestly? Stop lying!

They could use an IP from one of the private IP blocks. 172.../12 would be best because in my experience it's used the least of the 3 so there's a fair chance only people 'in the know' will realize it's private. If they were to use an 192.168/16 IP there's a chance noobs will end up hacking their home router and a 10/8 IP might be taken at their place of work.

Aside from making up an IP that is known to be incorrect, what would you suggest they do?

Actually, what they should've done is pick a private IPv6 address! Even less people are currently using it and there's a VAST space to play with there.

Well, what would you prefer them to do?

They can't use a valid IP as there will be people who will try to access that IP to see what, if anything, is there years after the program has run its course. Imagine if the movie Hackers had an actual IP in there. Would you resist the temptation to nmap that thing? Honestly? Stop lying!

They could use an IP from one of the private IP blocks. 172.../12 would be best because in my experience it's used the least of the 3 so there's a fair chance only people 'in the know' will realize it's private. If they were to use an 192.168/16 IP there's a chance noobs will end up hacking their home router and a 10/8 IP might be taken at their place of work.

Aside from making up an IP that is known to be incorrect, what would you suggest they do?

Actually, what they should've done is pick a private IPv6 address! Even less people are currently using it and there's a VAST space to play with there.

I get your point but as you mentioned they could use the local private IP ranges. if they were smart, register a few domains with static IPs and then if people try to visit, promote the show via the addresses.

By the way, in hackers the movie, there were real IP addresses in some of the scenes if I recall, and at one time, one of them used to be associated with the movie website but is no longer valid. Trying to remember the scenes, but I think it's where they are on top of a building.

Ah. The scene where they're hacking agent Gil and are trying various routes to get onto the internet. Lord Nikon making a wave move with his hand and Cereal Killer howling like a bitch in heat...

Man I really do believe I may have seen that movie one too many times...

But you're kinda proving my point. Website abandoned because nobody in their right mind should be actively promoting that ancient film. Now that IP is inside something which arguably has a cult status and may very well result in the new owner, completely unaware of the link, getting an above-average interest from the internet in the services running on that box.

Ah. The scene where they're hacking agent Gil and are trying various routes to get onto the internet. Lord Nikon making a wave move with his hand and Cereal Killer howling like a bitch in heat...

Man I really do believe I may have seen that movie one too many times...

But you're kinda proving my point. Website abandoned because nobody in their right mind should be actively promoting that ancient film. Now that IP is inside something which arguably has a cult status and may very well result in the new owner, completely unaware of the link, getting an above-average interest from the internet in the services running on that box.

lol. yeah, I just found the scene on youtube too. https://youtu.be/QysUfzuVl-Q?t=45m40s

The movie may not be realistic, but I still love watching it every once in a while.

"Check it out, guys, this is insanely great! It's got a 28.8 bps modem!"

"Yeah? Display?"

"Active matrix, man! A million psychadelic colors."

What do you mean, Hackers isn't realisitc? Am I the only one that has a projector shine what's on the screen right in my face to where I can't quite make out the image on the monitor? Next, you're gonna say that The Matrix is fake too. :grin:

That's why they make those stupid pico projectors. You just tape one to the top of your laptop screen and shine it on you.

I managed to watch the first episode. I did find that they had a mix of fake(over 255 octet) and real IP address ranges when they were looking at the infection causing their DoS attack. Wondering if there is any kind of easter eggs in the episodes for people paying attention though.

Second episode was pretty good it reminded me of when i was 12 messing around with custom built trojans and burning them on a CD and leaving them laying around back in the day that episode showed a clever way of Social Engineering that instance.

What a great show, to bad the world is still not ready for such brilliance.

I liked the twist in ep 2 but some non-tech things were off to the point I had a rolling eyes moment. Specifically the Evil Corp manager referring to his own company as "Evil Corp" and the way he acted when his offer was turned down. Sorry, but if you hope to run an enormous conglomerate you don't act anything like that and most certainly wouldn't micro-manage to this level. You'd crash and burn in seconds.

The tech is still the plot in ep2 but much, much less in your face compared to ep1. I thought the wannabe rapper dude on the streetcorner thing was clever though. Maybe stuff like that can make some people think twice about what they do in similar situations because on the whole John Q Public is just way, WAAAAAY too trusting.

Serious question though. When you have such a classic lock with a big-ass key as was used on the bathroom here, can you use your regular lock picks to open it? And as an aside, it would mean the guy must have locked her in there which would imply that she wouldn't be able to get out without outside help. Given how he said he felt about her, I find that odd but maybe that's just the sort of person he is. As a second aside, how many bathrooms do you know with an actual key-operated lock like that, as opposed to one of those twist-to-close things that you can open from the outside using just a screwdriver?

Bottom line: still watching.

I liked the twist in ep 2 but some non-tech things were off to the point I had a rolling eyes moment. Specifically the Evil Corp manager referring to his own company as "Evil Corp" and the way he acted when his offer was turned down. Sorry, but if you hope to run an enormous conglomerate you don't act anything like that and most certainly wouldn't micro-manage to this level. You'd crash and burn in seconds.

The tech is still the plot in ep2 but much, much less in your face compared to ep1. I thought the wannabe rapper dude on the streetcorner thing was clever though. Maybe stuff like that can make some people think twice about what they do in similar situations because on the whole John Q Public is just way, WAAAAAY too trusting.

Serious question though. When you have such a classic lock with a big-ass key as was used on the bathroom here, can you use your regular lock picks to open it? And as an aside, it would mean the guy must have locked her in there which would imply that she wouldn't be able to get out without outside help. Given how he said he felt about her, I find that odd but maybe that's just the sort of person he is. As a second aside, how many bathrooms do you know with an actual key-operated lock like that, as opposed to one of those twist-to-close things that you can open from the outside using just a screwdriver?

Bottom line: still watching.

The CD handout on the street I think was pretty slick, although I don;t know what OS's these days still autorun executables by default other than older non-patched XP. MAC's do this? Don;t know, don; town one.

For the bathroom lock, older doors back in the day, normally had a see through lock, so even if it wasn't a twisty like in most houses, you would still have a pretty open lock mechanism but not normal tumbler like house outside door locks today. Some cities I guess have older door lock setups, but this was probably more prop for the use of the lock pick scenario to put some spin on the whole tech side, since there was more storyline vs comptuer/geeky related stuff this episode.

So, after all the crap that's gone down with Flash, I've decided to uninstall it from every computer I use. I went to watch Mr. Robot on USA's website, and what prompt do I get? Oops! Looks like you need to upgrade your Flash Player. For all the awesome stuff the show has to offer, for them to not be among the first to rid themselves of Flash is somewhat surprising, and a bit disappointing. SMH :dry:

Episode 1 was really good and I couldn't complain about e <= 3 but what happened in episode 4? I was disappointed with it a little bit honestly.

So, after all the crap that's gone down with Flash, I've decided to uninstall it from every computer I use. I went to watch Mr. Robot on USA's website, and what prompt do I get? Oops! Looks like you need to upgrade your Flash Player. For all the awesome stuff the show has to offer, for them to not be among the first to rid themselves of Flash is somewhat surprising, and a bit disappointing. SMH :dry:

I use the Pepper version for Chrome and newer Opera and uninstall all others(Means you can't view it in FF or IE, but this way FF doesn't need to have it installed for normal browsing, use Flash only in Chrome when needed). link is for the download without bundled bullshit.

https://fpdownload.adobe.com/pub/flashplayer/pdc/18.0.0.209/install_flash_player_ppapi.exe

I check​ http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ often and compare the versioning numbers, which makes it easy to upgrade manually before they push the updates since this is often updated before their automatic updater sees things. All you have to do, is replace the version number in the link, to grab the latest one. I have probably a hundred downloads of archived flash players over the years because of this, from version 8 to the latest.

If you want the FF version:

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/18.0.0.209/install_flash_player.exe

And no, I won't add the active-x version, since I don't use it.