In Car DVR

G-Stress

Hi guys, I'm looking for an in car dvr solution. So far the biggest issue I'm having is finding the best camera's to use and a way to stream the live feed to a remote server at home or auto-upload each recording as it would loop recordings.

I currently have been testing out the veho Muvi HD and another one by E-France. Both are nice cams, but they record to an sd card. I am needing a solution to record to an external drive or remote location. I'll basically have a full blown mobile network in the car running 24/7 and I plan to at some point somehow modify the security system so anytime a door opens, car starts, exceeds a certain speed, etc. I'll get txt/email notification.

I've been searching for a few weeks, just remember the hak van and figured I'd share with you guys and see if it struck anyone's interest for any tips or advice.

Thanks for advance.

I'm thinking simplify this with off the shelf stuff you would normally do for a home web/security cam, but powered off solar and a separate battery so you don't kill the vehicles in the process. Any small computer with storage to hold the video and make them into chunk recordings would work if uploading, even a raspberry pi, then a small external drive, or even SDHC card via a USB dock would suffice. Add to the setup a USB wifi card or 3g dongle if no wifi and you can have it periodically upload static shots, live video feed or archived video uploads.

My old home security camera from D-Link had motion detection and infrared vision so you could see even in the dark, although it's like watching black and white television, you can make out people clearly if you needed to identify thieves. Has audio capabilities as well and can be logged into over it's own built in web server on the camera so you can view it from anywhere so long as it has an internet connection.

Sorry for the late reply guys and thanks for the advice. @ digip the 2 I have now do loop recordings via and sdhc card 32GB max and works well, but for what I'm wanting those aren't gonna work. I want to go IP/Network based so I can log into thos any given time and doing that would make it easier to upload/stream live feed which is another issue I'm having. I thought about ustream though I've never used it, but it costs now. I prefer to stream directly to a home server. I've never messed wiht WebDAV and don't know much about it, but could that possibly work or FTP? I currently have 2 jailbroken iphones and use one gernerally for data and tethering. It actually works very well on the road so I'll have internet at all times. Thinking about adding a line just for tethering and keeping it hidden in the car.

@ barry99705

What model is that DVR and what are the features it has? Where can I possibly purchase that? A buddy of mine told me a good solution would be to get one of the computers that run the big led billboards. I forget the name of them they start with a "P". I have thought about raseberry pi, but I'm not a developer at all and doesn't that require some programming?

Thanks for the advice guys.

Realistically streaming video over 3g is probably going to suck unless you get really fast speeds or LTE in your area. Pre-recorded file uploads would probably be ok since TCP can make sure you get all the file parts synced. UDP streaming is faster, but anything lost is just that. lost. iPhones record pretty decent video although I'd probably go with a dedicated IP camera of some kind if you want remote login authentication to the camera and something just dedicated and made for this. Not sure how high a quality you need though since a Muvi HD is probably better than a go pro to begin with and way higher quality than you would get with most streaming IP cameras. I'd see if there is a way to make something work with an HD camera type although heat in a vehicle might be an issue and not something you want to sacrifice a high end camera on. Keep it out of the direct sun.

The camera I have is pretty low res, but also not that expensive. I like it mainly because it's an IP camera which you just remote in over a browser from any computer or if wanted a phone app, which has a built in web server to stream back to your PC. It came with software that on my PC lets me setup the whole DVR side, but sure you can find something opensource to work with most web cams. It doesn't store anything on the camera itself, and requires a computer to record to, but if security and remotely viewing live streams if what you want as well, it works fine in this respect. some IP cameras let you change the view and move it to where you want to look as well as zoom(which mine doesn't move, it's stationary)

The MUVI HDyou have, doesn't have direct streaming capabilities? I saw one on YouTUBE that can be viewed from a phone app, so wondering if it can be seen that way, if you can't just find some streaming web cam software to negate the need for in car recording storage and just set it up to stream directly to a home server, or build a small respbery PI/arduino file server and do like you were with the two small SD card loops or however you had it setup, then just upload split video files as needed.

Sorry for the late reply guys and thanks for the advice. @ digip the 2 I have now do loop recordings via and sdhc card 32GB max and works well, but for what I'm wanting those aren't gonna work. I want to go IP/Network based so I can log into thos any given time and doing that would make it easier to upload/stream live feed which is another issue I'm having. I thought about ustream though I've never used it, but it costs now. I prefer to stream directly to a home server. I've never messed wiht WebDAV and don't know much about it, but could that possibly work or FTP? I currently have 2 jailbroken iphones and use one gernerally for data and tethering. It actually works very well on the road so I'll have internet at all times. Thinking about adding a line just for tethering and keeping it hidden in the car.

@ barry99705

What model is that DVR and what are the features it has? Where can I possibly purchase that? A buddy of mine told me a good solution would be to get one of the computers that run the big led billboards. I forget the name of them they start with a "P". I have thought about raseberry pi, but I'm not a developer at all and doesn't that require some programming?

Thanks for the advice guys.

The model number is on the manual, these are stupid old, use bnc connected 640X480 cameras. Just search Amazon for mobil dvr, you'll get a half dozen hits that should work.

I know the dash cameras in police cruisers usually record to a sd card and then upload over wifi when they get back to the station. Almost no one streams over 3 or 4g, it costs too much.

Edited by barry99705

@ digip, I get pretty good LTE coverage for my daily driving so I'm good there. What camera is it that you have? My Muvi HD cam I have I don't believe has any streaming capabilities, it does however have a remote which I really like. The biggest draw back to that camera other then being an IP camera is it will not record while charging. To me that kinda defeats a purpose. All the documentation I could find says it will record while charging only if plugged into a computer which it does not do unless the computer is in sleep mode? So I'm thinking when the computer is in sleep mode it outputs a lower or higher voltage which I haven't measured yet. The one I have is this one here VCC-005

http://www.veho-world.com/main/shop.aspx?category=CAMMUVIHD

However in the download section there isn't even any software available for this model nor did it come with any. The other Camera I have is this guy here:

http://www.amazon.com/Dashboard-SplashETech%C2%AE-Smallest-Ambarella-Upgraded/dp/B00PPYDAXA/ref=sr_1_39?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1431976320&sr=1-39&keywords=dash+cam

It's nice only mine might be one model under as mine only does 1280p. However this one here does have an issue with heat. When it's hot enough it will not even power on. I thought about using iphone 4S', but their size would be too easily noticeable in the car. They do make a really nice app called CarRecorder I may use one iphone cause it looks so sweet.

Also yea They police cruiser's use L3 Communications Cams or WatchGuard. I'd love to have a watchguard system, but they are pricey and yes that technology they use that auto-uploads to PD when they drive to the station is what I'd like to accomplish I just can't remember what it's called. I just saw a OmniVue system on youtube that looks pretty sweet as far as the cam's go, but not sure I could use the feature's I'm wanting to use with them.

@ digip, I get pretty good LTE coverage for my daily driving so I'm good there. What camera is it that you have? My Muvi HD cam I have I don't believe has any streaming capabilities, it does however have a remote which I really like. The biggest draw back to that camera other then being an IP camera is it will not record while charging. To me that kinda defeats a purpose. All the documentation I could find says it will record while charging only if plugged into a computer which it does not do unless the computer is in sleep mode? So I'm thinking when the computer is in sleep mode it outputs a lower or higher voltage which I haven't measured yet. The one I have is this one here VCC-005

http://www.veho-world.com/main/shop.aspx?category=CAMMUVIHD

However in the download section there isn't even any software available for this model nor did it come with any. The other Camera I have is this guy here:

http://www.amazon.com/Dashboard-SplashETech%C2%AE-Smallest-Ambarella-Upgraded/dp/B00PPYDAXA/ref=sr_1_39?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1431976320&sr=1-39&keywords=dash+cam

It's nice only mine might be one model under as mine only does 1280p. However this one here does have an issue with heat. When it's hot enough it will not even power on. I thought about using iphone 4S', but their size would be too easily noticeable in the car. They do make a really nice app called CarRecorder I may use one iphone cause it looks so sweet.

Also yea They police cruiser's use L3 Communications Cams or WatchGuard. I'd love to have a watchguard system, but they are pricey and yes that technology they use that auto-uploads to PD when they drive to the station is what I'd like to accomplish I just can't remember what it's called. I just saw a OmniVue system on youtube that looks pretty sweet as far as the cam's go, but not sure I could use the feature's I'm wanting to use with them.

resell the ones you don't want, make your money back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-WATCHGUARD-POLICE-EMERGENCY-VEHICLE-CAMERAS-SCREENS-READ-/161418044460?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259543e42c

I got unlimited data so I'm good there.

@Barry99705, Nice find! All the ones I've found were like 4500. I'm curious though is it illegal to have that system? I noticed on the watchguard site on the display monitor there is an icon that says police. Wondering if that would make it illegal.

Check with your local municipality before purchasing just to make sure, but I know in NJ, you can purchase used police cars and such not sure on dash cams. Just have to remove the lights on top and logos of the cop cars, but they leave the spot light on them and the colors are still broken up black and white and look like cruisers. They remove the cage and gun mounts and such too obviously, but I see them on the road all the time.

As for the DVR pertaining to the police, you just want to make sure it's not stolen, but with eBay, there is always on any purchases you make. I've been lucky, but only sold stuff on eBay. I have a friend who ended up taking someone to court and had to drive out of state to go after the person, to which he won, but still didn't end up with what he purchased(used Willy's Jeep parts). He did get his money back though, but subtract the travel expense and court fees, he's still out some money in the end.

looking at this old forum post form 2006:

http://forums.officer.com/t50944/

Looks like they are the same item type listed on ebay, and from the rust on the pics they may be that old. From the description on ebay they sound pretty beat up too, so take that into consideration.

My camera, is a pretty crappy D-Link cam but for $80, you can guess what kind of quality it has - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/d-link-day-and-night-wi-fi-video-security-camera-white/8884295.p?id=1218931026738&skuId=8884295&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8884295&extensionType=pla:g&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!37247144644!g!!52649683151&kpid=8884295&k_clickid=cd17c335-8104-48b0-ad3a-5a76a8721616&kpid=8884295&lsft=ref:212,loc:1&ksid=cd17c335-8104-48b0-ad3a-5a76a8721616&ksprof_id=401&ksaffcode=pg3460&ksdevice=c&gclid=CJ7pxLz9zsUCFcQUHwod92EAgA

It serves it's purpose though, and I'd probably not worry about it being damaged to much although, not sure how or where you'd mount it but from the passenger seat floor area pointing at the drivers side, you'd get a shot of anyone stepping in to hot-wire the car or drive off with it.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm in Indiana and I too see used cruisers often with the spot lights and all. Also I did notice that the cams came in an as is condition which I don't want to invest in something and then regret it later. As far as the cameras I'm wondering what interior camera's they use when they do "hidden camera" shows on tv or stunt shows. I remember seeing a blind date prank on youtube once where the female frightened the men with her driving as she was a professional stunt driver, but they didn't know that. The camera's used in the car though were I believe hidden in the vents so they'd have to be pretty small. I'm just curious what kind they were, because those would be perfect.

Picture if you will the cameras they use when doctors are performing operations inside of you without cutting you completely open. You basically have the camera and a lighting source at the end of a long, flexible stick. I'm guessing they're using something similar where the actual recording apparatus is in the trunk.

I didn't even think about surgical cams. I'm betting those would be hard to get a hold of and pretty pricey. There is a company local who installs all of the law enforcement lights, siren's, surveillance, etc which is where I purchased my Muvi cam. I think I'll stop in there and talk to them again.

Surgical cams are expensive because of the hygiene angle. Without that you basically have a spy cam which, if movies are anything to go by, any SWAT team apparently has access to.

Did a quick google and found the term for the device is "snake pinhole spy camera" or variations thereof. You can get a basic one from as little as $50 (and up to whatever a fool is willing to part with). Can't find any that will provide HD image, but roughly a quarter that resolution is quite doable even at that modest price range.

I didn't even think about surgical cams. I'm betting those would be hard to get a hold of and pretty pricey. There is a company local who installs all of the law enforcement lights, siren's, surveillance, etc which is where I purchased my Muvi cam. I think I'll stop in there and talk to them again.

What you're looking for now is called a bore scope. You can find them pretty cheap. http://www.amazon.com/Million-Waterproof-Borescope-Endoscope-Inspection/dp/B00JERRES6/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1432346085&sr=1-1&keywords=borescope+hd

Edited by barry99705

This just keeps getting more and more interesting. Appreciate all the info!

@ Barry99705, that Bore scope camera looks real nice! Small, compact, can have many of them installed to my liking and concealable with decent enough video. Plus their not to pricey. A camera like this can actually come in use for many many uses. I will probably definitely be trialing one of these in the near future. My biggest concern here is how does it perform in the dark without any light attachment? I looked at the reviews, didn't thoroughly read them, but didn't see any mention of dark use.

This just keeps getting more and more interesting. Appreciate all the info!

@ Barry99705, that Bore scope camera looks real nice! Small, compact, can have many of them installed to my liking and concealable with decent enough video. Plus their not to pricey. A camera like this can actually come in use for many many uses. I will probably definitely be trialing one of these in the near future. My biggest concern here is how does it perform in the dark without any light attachment? I looked at the reviews, didn't thoroughly read them, but didn't see any mention of dark use.

Probably not very well. Imagine taking pictures with your cell phone in the dark without a flash. Same camera module as the front camera in most cell phones.