WIFI Pineapple Internet Connectivity Issues

Griffin

Hi Folks,

I'm attempting to connect my Pineapple however I'm having some issues with the connection which is shared. I've followed the appropriate instructions online and have had it work within the past at home. However I am having some issues with the University's Internet. I've allowed my wireless network adapter to share the local area connection and for the local area connection (ethernet) I have assigned the relevant IP Address (172.16.42.42.1) and the Mac Address (255.255.255.0). I'm able to connect to the Web Interface fine. However that's the only thing which works. At this point I'm unable to access any physical sites via LAN and WIFI (DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET). This is for the duration that this IP is assigned, once it's removed it works without any issues. None of my addresses have been blacklisted either. Does anyone have an idea?

:huh:

I would do a bit (a lot?) more reading first. Some of the entries are a bit dated, but http://wiki.wifipineapple.com/#!index.md is a good place to start. Looking over existing forum posts for your question would be a good next step.

I'm sorry. However the IP address I listed was incorrect. I used 172.16.42.42 and not the former. I have searched the forum and couldn't find a solution to the issue which I'm facing at the moment hence the thread.

Did you read any of the wiki I linked at all?

Yes I have. And I don't like how you jump to the conclusion that I haven't due to the mistake I made within my initial thread/response. The WIFI Pineapple is working without any issues. I'm able to connect via the Web Interface and manage it like I have within the past. However the network I am on at the moment is different to the network back at home and issues are faced which were not faced before.

Yes I have. And I don't like how you jump to the conclusion that I haven't due to the mistake I made within my initial thread/response. The WIFI Pineapple is working without any issues. I'm able to connect via the Web Interface and manage it like I have within the past. However the network I am on at the moment is different to the network back at home and issues are faced which were not faced before.

I "jumped" to this conclusion because you specifically stated that you had searched the forums, but did not state that you had checked out the wiki.

So, let's take a look at some facts:

• You are attempting to give your Pineapple internet access through your University's network
  • You have "allowed my wireless network adapter to share the ... local area connection (ethernet)"
  • Ethernet interface has an IP of 172.16.42.42, netmask of 255.255.255.0
  • Your Internet connectivity via LAN and WiFi are kaput until you unassign the IP address

First thing's first: it would really help to know what OS you're doing all of this under. Don't get pissy with people trying to help you learn how to solve problems yourself, especially when you give barely enough information to start the troubleshooting process.

Have you checked your University's information security policies? I don't think it takes a genius to realize that infosec teams at most Universities aren't too keen on having devices like the Pineapple connected to their network (outside of a structured learning environment). You may not care, but I would certainly caution you to stop and think about whether your research could A.) be done on a different network, and B.) if not, is it worth potentially being kicked out of University to accomplish.

You say that you're letting your wireless adapter share the LAN; did you mean to say that you've setup ICS? Your phrasing is a bit ambiguous and it sounds like you are letting the wireless adapter share the connection you're making on the ethernet interface, when you in fact want to be sharing your wireless internet connection with the ethernet interface.

Sounds to me like you haven't properly setup ICS. Could possibly be that your University's network is dropping traffic to and from your Pineapple.

Work on your communication skills.

I "jumped" to this conclusion because you specifically stated that you had searched the forums, but did not state that you had checked out the wiki.

So, let's take a look at some facts:

• You are attempting to give your Pineapple internet access through your University's network
  • You have "allowed my wireless network adapter to share the ... local area connection (ethernet)"
  • Ethernet interface has an IP of 172.16.42.42, netmask of 255.255.255.0
  • Your Internet connectivity via LAN and WiFi are kaput until you unassign the IP address

First thing's first: it would really help to know what OS you're doing all of this under. Don't get pissy with people trying to help you learn how to solve problems yourself, especially when you give barely enough information to start the troubleshooting process.

Have you checked your University's information security policies? I don't think it takes a genius to realize that infosec teams at most Universities aren't too keen on having devices like the Pineapple connected to their network (outside of a structured learning environment). You may not care, but I would certainly caution you to stop and think about whether your research could A.) be done on a different network, and B.) if not, is it worth potentially being kicked out of University to accomplish.

You say that you're letting your wireless adapter share the LAN; did you mean to say that you've setup ICS? Your phrasing is a bit ambiguous and it sounds like you are letting the wireless adapter share the connection you're making on the ethernet interface, when you in fact want to be sharing your wireless internet connection with the ethernet interface.

Sounds to me like you haven't properly setup ICS. Could possibly be that your University's network is dropping traffic to and from your Pineapple.

Work on your communication skills.

I used to work for a school district and we've expelled students for similar things, but hey, it's your money.

If you're using the ethernet port of the pineapple to connect to the wired network, 172.16.42.42 isn't going to do you any good, unless they're actually using that network range for the student network(highly doubt it). Hopefully that gives you a push in the right direction.

Edited by barry99705