Something awesome for €/£/$100

Rkiver

Yeah everything else forum, so let us have a laugh shall we?

I've €100 to spend, this has to include the cost of something and it's shipping.

So suggest fun, unusual, strange things!

Go nuts.

EDIT: So this started off as me asking for ideas for something awesome to get for €100 for my birthday. Instead I spent the money on getting a laptop second hand and donating it to a family who needed it for their child.

People have still kept posting ideas, so now it's the something awesome for under a 100 Euro, pound dollar thread.

So know of something awesome for under the 100 mark? Post your suggestions.

Edited by Rkiver

Yeah everything else forum, so let us have a laugh shall we?

I've €100 to spend, this has to include the cost of something and it's shipping.

So suggest fun, unusual, strange things!

Go nuts.

RIght now i would suggest raspberryPI2 not very unusal or strange but fun as hell.

My suggestion would be the USB Armory.

Can that USB armory thing be used as a portable computer for pen testing and such?

How does it work, does the OS boot up, and you can ssh or putty into it? Is there any option to get GUI input from it to appear on screen?

Does the host PC then have to be configured to pass traffic through it's NIC?

If it were my money I would find a few good programming books on interesting topics in computer programming. Java and C# are modern programming languages, Data security, and crypto are some interesting topics in computer programming, but you want to make sure that you buy ones on 'practical' security, not the 'mathemtatical' side, the mathematical side will quickly go over your head, best to use the books on already implemented crypto apis, and not to create your own. Network programming is interesting, but you gotta find a well vetted book. I like Java Network Programming by Mr. Harold. Some other interesting topics are PDF manipulation libraries, aswell as anything that allows you to utilize word documents and Excel. From what I hear, the COM libraries in C# are pretty complex, but I really do want to learn how word document parsing and creation works. If you want to learn how to create shellcode and such for actual hacking, there was a forum around here somewhere about good places to start for hacking, a good assembly language (be aware that assembly language is one of the oldest and hardest to understand languages) book would be required in order to understand anything in the shell coder's handbook (you might need to save up a little more money). I recently got the most recent "Assembly Language for x86 processors" by Irvine, but be aware, there is no associated online sourcecode, you have to type in everything. I think Irvine is pretty much the de-facto authority on the subject however. Distributed computing is also an interesting topic, but there are not many current books on the topic. Make sure you have the compiler before you commit to any programming languages, java stuff is pretty much free, anything Microsoft (C#) will quickly eat up your money (I have to get a new visual studio compiler for my home, I can't even play with the new asynchronous keywords or .NET 4.5 features yet, so that rules out the compression lib).

Edited by overwraith

Can that USB armory thing be used as a portable computer for pen testing and such?

How does it work, does the OS boot up, and you can ssh or putty into it? Is there any option to get GUI input from it to appear on screen?

Does the host PC then have to be configured to pass traffic through it's NIC?

Check the video. It can be a standalone pc when provided with a powered hub (donno where the screen attaches), it can expose itself as a USB network device and provide you with a networked machine which is actually the device itself, one example the guy shows is some X bitcoin wallet app being shown on his Windows desktop via some Windows X-Windowing client program (all windows gets to do is act as display server) and since host machine and the USB armory have a 1:1 relationship for the USB Armory to go beyond the attached machine that attached machine is going to have to cooperate.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to be volunteering at the Hack In The Box conference in may in Amsterdam and I recently learned that the people who make the USB Armory have a booth there, so I'm going to try and buy one off them there myself.

But I'm curious, rkiver, what did you decide to go for?

I spent it on a student who's family has fallen on rather hard times. The student is dyslexic, and here in Ireland if you get your child tested they can qualify for a laptop paid for by the Department of Education. Unfortunately the testing is very expensive. So, I bought a refurbished laptop for €150 from a crowd here in Ireland that do them for schools and educational facilities and cleaned it, upgraded it's hard drive and ram, got the opendyslexia software on it, made sure it was as upgraded as possible and all ready to go, and gave it to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you PM me your first name (make one up if you don't feel like doing this) and a shipping address where anything sent under that name winds up with you?

I spent it on a student who's family has fallen on rather hard times. The student is dyslexic, and here in Ireland if you get your child tested they can qualify for a laptop paid for by the Department of Education. Unfortunately the testing is very expensive. So, I bought a refurbished laptop for 150 from a crowd here in Ireland that do them for schools and educational facilities and cleaned it, upgraded it's hard drive and ram, got the opendyslexia software on it, made sure it was as upgraded as possible and all ready to go, and gave it to them.

And I'd say sir, that is money very well spent!

Those cheap knock off usb Saleae Logic analysers are like £15 with a nice set of test hooks, you can use the stock Saleae software which is good, without forking out for their hardware. You can get a universal eprom programmer for like £20 and a PICkit 3 goes for about £40. A nice 15 piece pickset from SouthOrd goes for about £14.

Those cheap knock off usb Saleae Logic analysers are like £15 with a nice set of test hooks, you can use the stock Saleae software which is good, without forking out for their hardware. You can get a universal eprom programmer for like £20 and a PICkit 3 goes for about £40. A nice 15 piece pickset from SouthOrd goes for about £14.

Eh?

He gave 3 suggestions for things to purchase:

1. Saleae Logic Analyzers - pricy hardware for sure which is why he suggested getting a cheap knock-off which comes with test hooks for a modest price.

2. A universal EEPROM programmer is between 30 and 60 bucks so £20 and up. If you want a specific device such as the PICkit 3 you're out $50 so should be obtainable for closer to £35 I think.

3. A pickset from SouthOrd.

Yep, depends what you are into, I know Hak5 push the AVR but PIC is cheaper and better in a whole range of areas. If you have no plan of ever taking something from a Dev-board/breadboard then just buy a bunch of http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mini-ATmega328P-AU-Micro-controller-Board-Arduino-compatible/dp/B00PU6VDXW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1432711245&sr=8-3&keywords=arduino+nano

All good suggestions, and I appreciate that while I have already spent the money (and a bit more) that people are still giving suggestions. Perhaps we can morph this topic into "I've €100 or your regional equivalent that is burning a hole in my pocket. What's awesome for that price?"

All good suggestions, and I appreciate that while I have already spent the money (and a bit more) that people are still giving suggestions. Perhaps we can morph this topic into "I've €100 or your regional equivalent that is burning a hole in my pocket. What's awesome for that price?"

I really like that idea !

• 3 weeks later...