Good Material for Certification tests?

Hello,

I am currently taking a couple classes at the local community college to help me get my A+ and Network+ Certifications out of the way, and they are crap. So I was wondering if there was any way to do self study? I am also a student at the local University for a B.S in Information Technology, which so far, the only thing I really learned is java, C, sql, html, css, some database management (how to use them and create tables ect.) But the thing that scares me is that I am taking some of my core classes and I haven't really learned anything.

One of my professors recommended me to the professor messer videos. He said they really helped him get his. Here is a link to the site: http://www.professormesser.com/ Have you guys done self study for the tests? How hard are they? I am more afraid of the A+ test than the networking one.

Whats has been your general experience when trying to get your certifications?

A+ is kind of a useless cert in my opinion. I haven't seen a single job posting that requires or even wants it. It mainly goes over computer hardware and the test is all about how to find the control panel (at least that's what I remember from a few years ago). It's really a waste of time. I do see a lot of companies requiring Security+ at a minimum though. Look into CBT Nuggets. They have some great videos that I've used for getting my MCP, MCITP, MCSA, and CEH. They won't help with the wording of some questions (which can get wonky) but they will definitely help you understand the material and how it applies to the real world.

Edit:

For some reason I thought you mentioned Security+ instead of Network+. Net+ is also a decent cert to have and I'm sure there are CBT Nuggets available for it.

Edited by sud0nick

Ok thanks! The A+ cert seems to be were the low level IT work is. But I just wanna have a couple certs before I graduate so that I look good on paper, I wont have much experience in terms of real IT work, because school takes up most of the time. Unless I find an internship or something.

Also, I recommend taking them in the order of A+, Network+, then Security+ because when you pass Sec+ the other two will automatically renew. Since they are only valid for 3 years you will need to renew them which costs ~$47/yr and either retaking the test or using continuing education credits. If you get higher level certs you can use them to renew your Sec+ which will then automatically renew the other two. This is how I've done it over the past few years. I used my MCSA to renew Sec+ and got all of them renewed until 2017.

Side rant: A+ is such a basic cert and wont land you a job but why the hell isn't every highschool teaching students the material thats on the A+? All of that stuff is so trivial anyone with half a brain could learn it.

Actually, A+ is something I see on a lot of job openings, since I spent the last 6 months looking for work, most for places repairing and building workstations, they wanted A+, Net+ and Cisco people along with the usual mix of MCP/MCSE people.

Bottom line, education is invaluable regardless of the cert, take classes on anything that you're interested in and apply it where needed. If looking for stuff online, Security Tube, CBT Nuggets, YouTUBE, and http://www.testout.com/ (one of my favs) are all good places for online video stuff, but also just a local library or book store. More often than not, you'll only get so far on your own though and at some point want to ask a real person questions which is nice about actual schools and technical classes, but also places like the forums and IRC to help.

yeah i figured I am going watch some videos on the subject, then go through the chapter in my book on the subject, then do the lab that came with my book (year subscription) My network plus will be much of the same thing. I think that might be a great tool. Thanks for posting because I have found good information through what you have posted.

• 5 weeks later...

ill tell you what i have an A+ cert (easiest test i ever took, though i have been doing that stuff since i was like the early 90's) but the only thing it has helped me do is get the interview and that is were i fall on my face lmao, if you have not been doing computer repair or know every inch of a motherboard and can name everything there and what it does or understand IRQ's then i would go for it other wise dont bother lol now the net + is a VERY difficult test and worth every pain staking minute! for sure