mac logging & proximity alerts

master

I just purchased a pineapple, hopefully it will arrive shortly : ) Hoping to have someone tell me if this has been done or discussed before. I have a parcel of land that has video surveillance and gets logged based on date / time. I would like to log any unique macs of devices that are on (near) my property during those times. I would also like to setup alerts when certain ones are seen again, for instance next time the guy who stole my tools comes back. I know this is all possible, just wondering if I need to start from scratch or if any of this has been done already.

Thx,

Sam

thanks for the replies.

Sebkinne - if there is something for me to look at that would be cool.

i8igmac - dnsmasq? Are you thing the mac addresses will show because of queries to a dns server? I want to log them based on beacons, probes, etc - so they dont necessarily have to even be logged in.

Nordstrom was recently discovered to be tracking their customers using this same idea - anyone know what they used for this?

• 1 month later...

sebkinne - can I pay you to write me something that will just spit out / stream all visible mac addresses of client radios nearby via udp to a specific ip address? I can then take that data and massage it on my other linux box miles away. A script or source would be better than a binary so that I could expand it once I understand the basics.

Thx,
Sam

sebkinne - can I pay you to write me something that will just spit out / stream all visible mac addresses of client radios nearby via udp to a specific ip address? I can then take that data and massage it on my other linux box miles away. A script or source would be better than a binary so that I could expand it once I understand the basics.

Thx,

Sam

This is a feature we have on our to-do list, and can hopefully integrate soon.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

• 7 years later...

Hi

I know this is an old thread and newer versions of wifi pineapple have been released. However, is it possible to receive alerts (to my smartphone) when someone passes by, when wifi is enabled on their smartphone. Thanks

I guess this is the same question/scenario/use case that you have already been posting in other sections of the forums. It's probably a "yes" and "no". You could most likely produce alerts if "someone" passes by ("someone" meaning any non specific individual). But, if you want to pinpoint a specific (identified) person, then it's most likely not possible if modern devices are used. This is because both Android and Apple based devices randomize MAC addresses exactly because of the fact that they shouldn't be possible to be tracked/geotracked.

Sorry for posting in different forums. Got it initially wrong and told to post in the correct one. What I am after is for the pineapple to altert when anybody passes by with a smartphone, WiFi enabled. Trying to cover a large area to stop intruders. What hardware and software do I need. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Forget it, it can't be used in that way. And, what about all the other wifi signals in the area ?

You're saying it's to "stop intruders..". How do you mean ?
One good start is to look at your wifi coverage (antenna design, buildings, site plan, materials and so on).

And simply stop people from using smart devices in the area.. A very (ILLEGAL), way would to use a cellphone / WIFI jammer, to simply knock their devices offline..

What you wan't cant be done, not in an easy way anyway 🙂

/NoExecute