Kali Bluetooth Problem

SystemCrash86

Hey Guy's I need your help,

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with built-in bluetooth and and installation of Kali Linux 1.1.0.

My problem is that i cannot get my internal bluetooth to work and i have even lost the bluetooth icon on the indicator panel.

My outputs are :

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0930:0227 Toshiba Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. 4-Port HUB
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04f2:b446 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView SSA-CUnit (rev 0e)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView Gen7 (rev 0e)
00:13.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView 6-Port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 0e)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 0e)
00:1a.0 Encryption controller: Intel Corporation ValleyView SEC (rev 0e)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation ValleyView High Definition Audio Controller (rev 0e)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView PCI Express Root Port (rev 0e)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView PCI Express Root Port (rev 0e)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView PCI Express Root Port (rev 0e)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ValleyView Power Control Unit (rev 0e)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation ValleyView SMBus Controller (rev 0e)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 07)
02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
03:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5229 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)

dmesg | grep Blue
[    6.193086] toshiba_bluetooth: Detected Toshiba ACPI Bluetooth device - installing RFKill handler
[    6.193497] toshiba_bluetooth: Re-enabling Toshiba Bluetooth
[    6.972220] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.19
[    6.972333] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[    6.973447] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[    6.973469] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[    6.973546] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
[    7.126003] Bluetooth: Loading patch file failed
[   19.876412] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
[   19.876434] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
[   19.876450] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
[   19.959383] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
[   19.959391] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
[   19.959407] Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized
[  264.813159] toshiba_bluetooth: Re-enabling Toshiba Bluetooth

As you can see [7.126003] Bluetooth: Loading patch file failed - and i have no idea on how to fix this. I have been scrolling google for days and still nothing works.

Please help.

When I Googled "Bluetooth: Loading patch file failed" the very first result was this:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=183038

This thread is from july of last year and they say the solution is to run kernel 3.15.7 which is of course Arch's own update to 3.15 so one would assume that the fix is in 3.16.

What kernel are you running and did Kali possibly provide an updated version of their kernel since?

Edit: They reference this kernel bug as being the culprit. They say that it hit Linus' tree mid-july and the first release after that was 3.16 so grab that one or a later version and you should be good to go.

Edited by Cooper

The error is with my internal bluetooth, however when i plug in my usb bluetooth device the bluetooth icon re-appears and i can use it no problems but with my internal one i can't.

Everything is up-to-date with the latestest release of Kali with a kernal verson of:

uname -r

3.18.0-kali1-amd64

Different chipset most likely. Kali isn't the most stable Linux distro out there.

I see 2 options:

1. Run a mainline kernel and see if that works any better.

2. Apply the patch mentioned in the kernel bug I linked to the kali kernel sources, rebuild and use that.

Different chipset most likely. Kali isn't the most stable Linux distro out there.

Ahh ok, that's why my usb works and not my internal one.

I am starting to notice that it is abit unstable because - i have a new laptop (with bluetooth built in obviously) which i dual boot with ubuntu 14.04 and the latest version of kali linux. Then i realise that my wifi tx-power is only at 16dbm!! In ubuntu i am able to fix this using commands like "iw wlan0 txpower 20" or something and it works but using the same commands in kali dont work. is there a possible work around that could fix the problem?

Go with a mainline kernel. The extra patches to their own kernel some distros provide usually don't provide a truly compelling reason to stick with that, unless you're on one of those 'long term stable' things where you really don't want the latest and greatest, instead opting for as little change to the status quo as possible. Since the status quo in this case produces issues on your system, go with the latest and greatest.

One has to understand Kali, like Back Track, is a highly customized distro for pentesting, and hardware support is more geared towards specific tools and their capabilities for things such as monitor mode and such. It usually comes down to, do they have drivers, or in some cases, limited by kernel configurations to make sure the tools installed by default, work as needed and expected. Not all wifi cards work in all linux distros, and ones that do, will not have as many features between distros while only being able to do managed mode on one, you may be able to do multiple modes on another. If you want more hardware compatibility, switch to something like ubuntu, and install the tools you want to use, but you're going to find, a lot of why things in Kali are the way they are, is because the tools will work in Kali, where on other distros, may take more coaxing to find multiple dependencies and outdated libraries no one else is maintaining for their distro and may not be able to get some tools running with all the same functionality you may in something like Kali, BackTrack, Black/Back Box and others.