Cool hacker movie on youtube

br0k3nilluzion

Watching the movie now... it's actually pretty awesome, but I'm 30 minutes in and see a couple of nit-picky things. 1, the USB drive in the phone company's server, all machines that have been patched since 2009 will have the autorun key disabled by default as per a Microsoft patch. Unless it was keystroke injection, but then still not sure how he managed to re-compile the code unless it was an interpreted environment like Mumps or something. Then with the aluminum foil, I thought copper blocked signals. And if he's that concerned about using his laptop with WiFi, then why doesn't he just remove the WWAN PCIe card and the Bluetooth adaptor.

But, still super-cool... the intro was a little cheesy, but so far the movie has been pretty awesome.

He could have saved a ton of time looking for the hard coded IP by just grabbing the executable and running STRINGS.exe from Sys Internals on it.

You're assuming a few things here. 1, that its a windows executable, 2, its plain text strings and not encrypted or encoded data storage. He mentioned it was in hex, which in itself can be translated to plain text, but I'm also assuming, it was beyond plain text when decoded, which is why he took it to the other guy to help him with it, since hex to ascii is pretty trivial to convert. The Linux strings command works like the windows SysInternals tool for linux binaries and files on any file system it can read, ie: windows, mac, etc, which could also have worked, if it was plain text data in the file.

Hahah... still doesn't explain why he didn't just take the WWAN PCIe card out of his laptop rather than spend $100 bucks in aluminum foil to wrap a room in a stranger's basement! hahah.

Still, I actually really liked the movie. The one thing I didn't quite understand though, is the acting at the very beginning was HORRENDOUS... as in, before the title screen. But then after the title screen... it got increasingly better. It would almost have been better if they just started the movie after the title screen.

Removing a network card probably would have been too smart..lol. Also, if your network card is not up/enabled, you can't capture data trying to use it, but you could create a virtual adapter and point to a fake network/VM locally, to run and test malware on like a sandbox, which negates the whole need for both removal of the card and a tinfoil room. Its a movie, not reality, although some of the subject matter is a bit touchy since certain organizations exist that will come and pick you up and take you away, but yeah, just entertainment, not a documentary. Wargames was a bit more realistic than this but I still liked the movie somewhat. Would say its a 2.5 out of 5 star movie and that's being a bit generous. Hell, Hackers the movie from the 90's is still fun to watch. If you want realistic though, go watch BBS Documentary.

yeah for a low budget movie it was pretty cool. He's a little off on a some things, and aluminum foil doesnt block anything.. If he makes a sequel it would be super simple to talk to some ppl , even get some people in the field to join the movie, and get some facts straight..even make it more exciting. Theres quadcopters you could use to plant a pineapple, bluetooth scanning, RF scanning.. maybe do a bubblewave to block cellphone signals, maybe put a cell tower there as well.. shoot, they could use all the toys from Hak5.

Removing a network card probably would have been too smart..lol. Also, if your network card is not up/enabled, you can't capture data trying to use it, but you could create a virtual adapter and point to a fake network/VM locally, to run and test malware on like a sandbox, which negates the whole need for both removal of the card and a tinfoil room. Its a movie, not reality, although some of the subject matter is a bit touchy since certain organizations exist that will come and pick you up and take you away, but yeah, just entertainment, not a documentary. Wargames was a bit more realistic than this but I still liked the movie somewhat. Would say its a 2.5 out of 5 star movie and that's being a bit generous. Hell, Hackers the movie from the 90's is still fun to watch. If you want realistic though, go watch BBS Documentary.

Oh dude.. BBS Documentary? Hah... I have that on DVD (purchased it).

I'm just as much a geek as the rest of those guys... but the video was basically hours and hours of filming old people from their parents basement. I honestly can't get through the first DVD... I usually end up falling asleep.

BUT, as a documentary, it's pretty awesome... I just can't get through it.

BBS documentary is awesome but that's just me I guess. If you can sit through it might change your mind but its not for everyone. I like knowing how stuff works and it's origins though and its a good history lesson for those who never had dial up or know what it was like to be able to have that kind of setup to comminicate or share data with people before mainstream internet.