KeySweeper

mreidiv

"KeySweeper is a stealthy Arduino-based device, camouflaged as a functioning USB wall charger, that wirelessly and passively sniffs, decrypts, logs and reports back (over GSM) all keystrokes from any Microsoft wireless keyboard in the vicinity"

There was a thread on this over on slashdot yesterday. The real innovation here the device he's using to scan the radio with. Aside from that it only shows that wireless keyboards and mice are, well, crap from a security perspective. And that shouldn't come as any surprise since there's going next to no data across the link and there are simply no sources of entropy for the keyboard to properly encrypt the data with, let alone a sufficiently powerful CPU integrated to actually perform that encryption.

Wonder if one could use the Hardware SDK on the Pineapple and connect the radio, then port the code as an infusion. Or run the original python code directly. Then you could not only sniff Wifi, but also go for the low hanging fruit.

I also found the CreepyDOL very interesting as well.

In the write-up by Samy I read that the link protocol differed from wifi so a typical wifi radio wouldn't work. An SDR would, but those cheap things can't go over 2.2GHz or some such number whereas this device operates on 2.4GHz (like wifi). He contemplated using a HackRF but that would increase the cost quite a bit and also size-wise cause problems.

I wonder if all this is needed, and if you could do the same thing with an uber? keyboards and mice, while they do talk on 2.4, as far as I know, are all bluetooth based, so you'd be sniffing native bluetooth on any wireless keyboard, and just need to be able to intercept that and decode it(I think). Is it the ubertooth that does bluetooth, or was there a new SDR tool that was being put out(I'm bit behind on tools, episodes and whats out there being used these days)

• 6 months later...