[Release] 2.1.1 - Codename: Pineosauria Mobilus

Sebkinne

Hey everyone,

Being 3 months since the last major firmware release we are excited to present to you today a major milestone in the project. This firmware could have easily been 3 separate releases, so prepare for some awesome changes.
On the usability side you'll notice that the WIFi Pineapple's Web Interface is now responsive and beautiful on mobile devices. Not just a cosmetic change, you'll notice a new help system is built-in providing answers to common questions for features such as PineAP, Networking and Configuration.
A lot of work has been done in terms of security, with some major bug fixes like preventing CSRF, providing device verification by LED pattern on initialization, locking down serial and providing a WPA2 protected WiFi management interface.
After much request we've also implemented a simple method for changing the Wired interfaces behavior. You may now switch from classic mode (what you've been used to since 1.0) to wired Client Mode, supporting both DHCP and Static IP addresses. You can even change the WiFi Pineapple's IP address and hostname.
Of course a big thanks to our beta testers, infusion developers and you for your continued support. We're very excited about this release. There's a bunch of other changes and bugfixes in the changelog. Do please note, given the scope of changes we may notice a thing or two out of place in some user infusions. We expect that with an update using the most current API version, these infusions will be working as expected in short order.

Changelog 2.1.0:

• Fixed apple's Safari and iOS browsers not working correctly with the webinterface

Changelog 2.1.0:

• A Mobile friendly web interface

• Infusions are now responsive to device screen size

• Large tile tabs scroll horizontally on mobile

• Infusions minimize to shelf on mobile

• Recon mode doesn't overflow on mobile

• Security Fixes

• The serial console now requires you to log in

• Bash has been patched - though we were not directly affected by shellshock

• Prevent any CSRF attacks on GET or POST requests

• A WPA2 management interface has been added by default

• First boot requires LED sequence verification

• OpenSSL-utils shipped by default

• Built-in Help System

• Clicking superscript circled question mark displays help text

• Help bubbles enabled by default and can be disabled from the “configuration” infusion.

• API updated for Infusion developers to use Help System

• PineAP

• Can now be controlled from the CLI

• Will not fail anymore if the MAC of wlan1 has been changed

• Does not cause the web interface to lag when started anymore

• Wired Settings

• Added the ability to easily set up wired client mode

• Added the ability to change the WiFi Pineapple's LAN settings

• A global infusion log system has been added

• Infusion logs can be viewed in the “log” infusion

• See the new API functions for more information

• Added more API functions for infusion developers

• Other miscellaneous changes and fixes

• Fixed an issue where CSS and JS files were cached and caused issue on upgraded

• Aircrack-ng has been updated to version 1.2-RC1

• Fixed an issue with nginx filling /tmp/ with logs

• Added the ability to change the hostname

• WiFi Pineapple Bar has been updated
Download: Over the air through the web-interface. (alternatively at https://wifipineapple.com?downloads)
Note: To flash this over the web-interface, please make sure your info tile is at it's latest version.
As usual, please leave any feedback in this thread.
Bugs, suggestions can also (and should be) be left here.
We hope you enjoy this release!
-The WiFi Pineapple Team
LaB3eaO.png

Okay, this update is pretty fantastic. I used my cell phone to do the entire setup, and the web UI is outstanding now. Perfect on the phone. I'll probably rarely use the laptop now, if at all.

So after I updated it.. (updated was really cool BTW for about 5 mins) and resetting the wifi settings, all I get now is a solid green light..

what gives?

Walk us through exactly what happened. How did you update (SSH, OTA?), what happened after flashing? Did you get to the welcome screen / initialization wizard? Do you receive an amber light with Ethernet plugged in? Have you tried the recovery DIP switch configuration?

I followed the steps below

Step one:

• Download the special factory image. This image is the WiFi Pineapple MKV's 1.2.0 firmware, packaged differently to allow unbricking. Please verify it's md5 checksum to be 167b1533b9dd5c49f7107413fb960bfa.
  • Power off your WiFi Pineapple MKV and set the DIP switches to up, up, up, up, down (from left to right).
  • Connect to your WiFi Pineapple MKV via ethernet and set your network interface to a static IP of 192.168.1.2
  • Boot up the WiFi Pineapple MKV. After around five seconds, you can navigate to http://192.168.1.1
  • Upload the factory-1.2.0.bin file through the interface. Wait for it to complete.
  • Set all the DIP switches back to the default configuration up, up, up, up, up (from left to right).
  • Make sure the SD card is inserted and powercycle the WiFi Pineapple MKV. Your device will now boot the 1.2.0 firmware. Please wait patiently and refer to the first boot instructions in your WiFi Pineapple MKV instructions. You may skip any information relating to the stager.
  • You are done. Enjoy your freshly flashed WiFi Pineapple MKV!

Step two.. Logged in. upgraded

At this point everything was running great. I was asked to verify that I was the owner (awesome addon) via lights and it ask me a number of questions to setup the wifi

Step three I logged back in after setting everything up and updated the wifi settings

Green light of death ..

Note:

I just powered it back up. it starts up with a solid green light and a blue flashing light, after about 15 sec the blue light goes away and I am left with a solid green light. I think its laughing at me right now :(

I'll try unbricking it again in a few hours.

Edited by CodeA2

Edit: Just noticed there are two more threads about this problem, sorry!

After the update it seems impossible for me to change any network setting in the Network infusion.

If I want to change the AP SSID to something else than the default Pineapple5_**** I get the message "Invalid CSRF token". Same if I change the channel number.

Already tried a reflash to no avail. Happens with IE and iOS on iPad.

Edited by arachnida

Firefox eats the pineapple on Win7, but I haven't been able to find a browser for iOS that will work with the PineApple GUI. So far I tried Safari, Terra and Mercury. Can someone please report a working browser for iPad?

We are releasing a firmware upgrade soon to fix apple browsers - I don't own any apple products, so it's not easy for me to test for.

Best regards,

Sebkinne

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but when I enable the secure AP the web interface seems to run a lot slower. It does this whether I access it through the AP or through my home network of which the Pineapple is a client. Sometimes the GUI will only load half way. Once I disable the secure AP everything runs fine.
Browser = Chrome
OS = Win 8.1 Pro
Here is my resources print out in case it helps.
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:         61804        54844         6960            0         7520
-/+ buffers:              47324        14480
Swap:      2002904            4      2002900

Also, I would like to be able to enable/disable the secure AP without having to enter a password every time. Would it be possible to just keep the current password if no value is entered in the field?

I'm really liking the v2.1.1 update... it's working smoothly and the web interface is nice and responsive. I really want to see if long term wlan0 access point mode operation has been improved.

The WPA2 management access is a fantastic addition... as is the eth0 mode switch.

What would be the best way to tie a DIP switch to the Ethernet mode function? It would be nice to be able to switch this prior to boot.

Switch off = classic ethernet mode

Switch on = client mode (DHCP)

Any ideas?

Lunokhod

The new release is awesome and has already a lot of nice features. Thankz for it Pineapple team!!

And... What about new methods like a good sslstrip, better rules for dnspoof and stuff like that?

I absolutly agree. This would be kewl! Seb could you tell us perhaps something about your plans please?

On iPad there is a difference inbetween landscape and portrait mode as described in another topic I started. I like the portrait mode as it is clean and doesn't clutter up the bottom infusions. Can you do this for portrait also in a next realease?

Edited by arachnida