Server 2008, active directory and group policies.

Rkiver

I've got a Windows Server 2008 32bit (not r2) running active directory for a school.

Every student has a login, every students my documents etc is supposed to be held on the server, and they also have a network folder that mounts on login. However something odd is now happening. When students are logging in their files are not appearing in their documents, and their folders are not mounting. Also on the server when I go and check where their folders are, they are no longer /student/year/student name. There are now folders saying /student/year/My Documents, lots of them. Now on some of the computers they login, and everything appears. They log off, go to another machine, and nope not there.

I checked the group policy, and I see nothing strange or odd on it. I also cleared all the computers, and re-added them to the domain so there are no corrupted profiles on them.

Well I have had the same issue with a Windows Server 2012 r2 64bit domain controller.

My solution was to forget about folder redirecting (After turning off folder redirection I had to remove the registry setting for it on each pc) and use a network drive for user files.

Edited by brianzimm

It's a permissions problem. Something to do with the user and the administrator trying to own the my documents folder at the same time. We stopped doing folder redirection as well and just create a mount point for them. Takes a couple days for them to learn to save to the mounted drive and not the documents folder.

Could you not just create DFS shares to the folder and just mount the DFS share to the users AD profile? Ie. if the directory is /Servername/Drive/Shares/User share you could then make a Simolic link to something like /Servername/Homes/User share and just map that to AD thus not touching the original location and messing with permissions. Not sure if the permissions conflict would pass through a DFS share like that. otherwise you could set it to have the Domain Admin as the Owner and the users as contributors.