ADS-B Raspberry Pi receiver/server with homebrew 1090Mhz antenna

GlynneH

Hi,

I've just built a ADS-B Raspberry Pi receiver/server powered by a USB battery pack.

I also made it an homebrew 1090Mhz half-wave dipole antenna. The results are great and can run for about 4 hours with the current battery.

Anyway, have a look at the blog. I'm interested if anyone else has done something similar.

http://glynne-bashbashbash.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/homebrew-1090-ads-b-raspberry-pi-remote.html

The only thing missing to increase performance is some Hak5 stickers :-)

Regards

Glynne

It's a bit of a hack job and I'm wondering why you even need so much of a boom for it. I doubt it makes that much difference. With a smaller boom you can put your antenna closer to the radio so you get even less signal loss from the cable. Also, you could place the jug on top of a shed or something if you really do need the height. Maybe put a layer of sand in the jug to weigh it down a bit so it sits a bit more stable.

Still, top marks for effort and of course using scraps and what effectively amounts to garbage to create something useful.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

V nice. I make someone similar with RPi, rtl-sdr, homebrew 1090Mhz half-dipole and dump1090. I was feeding flightrader24.com with data for about 6 months before I found another use for the pi. Love to see these homebrew jobs :)

What Battery are you using. I've got a 1.3 Ah SLA Battery from maplins, that last for around 3.5 hour's. On a Pi 2 Running flat out on Crunch/Aircrack. At a Guess that be more like 6 hur's ticking over. Run a Pi, and ADS-B.

Also I just use a Car cig power adapter to power the pi, via the battery. Simple and cheap.

Edited by Mad Pierre