Transform usb flash in CDROM, it's possible?

giammy

Hi!

There is a way to "convert" an USB stick (a normal usb storage device) in a cd-rom unit?

I have a kingston datatraveller g4 (8gb usb 3.0), here are properties:

kingstonusb.jpg

Should mount Toshiba Flash and TC58NC226166F Controller.

My goal is to make this USB stick visible to the (old) motherboards without boot from USB.

It's only a dream or it's possible?

Edited by giammy

Why not just buy a USB CD/DVD Rom?

With that, my verizon wireless Galaxy S3 detects as a CDROM when first plugged into a computer. Just long enough to get Verizon software for backup/recovery. Then it mounts as mass storage showing my SD card in the phone and the phone storage itself. I am curious as to how they are doing that, but it probably has something to do with the USB Multiplexer chip in the phone itself.

Why not just buy a USB CD/DVD Rom?

With that, my verizon wireless Galaxy S3 detects as a CDROM when first plugged into a computer. Just long enough to get Verizon software for backup/recovery. Then it mounts as mass storage showing my SD card in the phone and the phone storage itself. I am curious as to how they are doing that, but it probably has something to do with the USB Multiplexer chip in the phone itself.

Because I have many boot-utilities, it's annoying make tons of CDs (and in some cases i have to use an utility only one time).

Same thing with operative systems, i have many and is counterproductiveto burn a lot of DVDs when with a "CDROM Stick" i would be able to modify its content everytime I want.

I already can do this with a rewritable DVD but not all the old readers can read it...

Another option would be to make a PXE boot server, no USB, no CD/DVD, and every server I've come in touch with has PXE boot.

Another thing is if you are using Dell/HP servers, they should have iDrac and ILO connections to where you can insert an ISO as virtual media. Hell even a real CD as virtual media for the server.

My goal is to make this USB stick visible to the (old) motherboards without boot from USB.

It's only a dream or it's possible?

Sorry, but that's a dream. If it won't boot from USB it won't boot from anything found on the USB bus.

Including something that shows up as a CD/DVD drive in Windows since it'll be... a USB CD/DVD drive.

Just wondering what program are you using to view these properties?

It's USBDeview, software from NirSoft, here is official site: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

The site is FULL of really good utilies.

Sorry, but that's a dream. If it won't boot from USB it won't boot from anything found on the USB bus.

Including something that shows up as a CD/DVD drive in Windows since it'll be... a USB CD/DVD drive.

Right...this was my concern!

Now I can only burn a lots of cds/dvds....my bad

I thought the only windows that would boot via PXE was a Windows Terminal Client or some such.

Despite valliant efforts to shrink the thing, that 'microkernel' of theirs was apparently too fat to fit insite the boot rom. Last I heard of it, which was admittedly years ago, was they were sort-of pushing for larger boot roms in a select few ethernet adapters so they could plug those.

PXE Boot usually happens in BIOS for servers and can even for any other computer. It's what the boot menu "DHCP....|/-\|" whatever is. It's trying to network boot. You can even do it in Virtualbox/VMWare.

It will be called something like "Network Boot" in the boot order. It will look for DHCP (which you need to have running and define a PXE Server blah blah lots of config).

• 4 months later...

Just for the sake of anyone who stumbles on this there is a way to make a USB drive look like a CD drive, I used this guide to do it once and it did actually work. Only catch for me was my "CD" was write protected so I could only put things on it by making an iso and using that to create the disk. Anway have a look HERE!

Edited by Catch22

Maybe you should link to that guide in your post.

And my original point still stands: if your machine won't boot from USB it won't boot from a USB device that pretends to be a CD/DVD drive since it'll be a USB CD/DVD drive.

Maybe you should link to that guide in your post.

And my original point still stands: if your machine won't boot from USB it won't boot from a USB device that pretends to be a CD/DVD drive since it'll be a USB CD/DVD drive.

Sorry! I copied the link just forgot to hyperlink it :D Anyway I added it now so you can look!