Why lenovo thinkpad?

K0B4LT

Great quality, great Linux support. That's my reasoning at least.

The quality is there, I still have a fully functioning 366Mhz (IBM) laptop running w2k, I believe IBM/Lenovo were also one of the first big manufacturers to start funding support for linux.

The quality is there, I still have a fully functioning 366Mhz (IBM) laptop running w2k, I believe IBM/Lenovo were also one of the first big manufacturers to start funding support for linux.

Holy crap! I haven't seen that crow since I was a little kid! My step-dad did ECM in the AF.

I hate a T410 with a standard battery and it get about 1.5 hours life out of it. Its not great battery life (doesn't come close to my macbook *looks at seb*) but it gets the job done. And yes great linux support. If there is any model of laptop that has the best linux support i'd say its a thinkpad and if you are planning on going linux on your laptop you should get a thinkpad

I've had too much bad experiences with Dell laptops (but, as a result, a fair amount of positive experience with Dell support) so no more of those for me if I can help it. Also, the dutch word "del" (same pronounciation) means skank/slut/whore...

The Toshiba line of laptops, both Tecra and Sattelite Pro were pretty decent, particularly the Tecras when it came to Linux support.

Currently I'm on my third HP. First some dinky old piece of crap as I waited for an actual developers laptop, and then 2 EliteBook 8740w's, the first of which got replaced when a 15cm drop broke the screen. The current one has already broken a plastic tab or two already that was used to hold the bit above the keyboard in place so on the left it's slightly raised, but nothing serious. The mouse buttons around the trackpad are disgustingly poor quality and one of my co-workers actually managed to peel one of them off as he was working.

I don't mind a clunky laptop so long as it's a bit rugged and the hardware inside is actually worth using. That first HP I had was more like a manager's laptop: fairly thin but only useful for word and powerpoint.

Bad experience or not Dell is still one of the few manufactures that's shipped Linux with their computers so that tells me that they've done a bit of homework in getting their equipment set up to work with Linux, which is all I run so for me Dell is a winner. Of course different strokes for different folks, use what you want and what you can afford.